Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

The 2.7L Single Cab Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #601
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
nice! ive been seriously considering pulling the trigger on an AFE one. Do u notice a difference? The sound alone + a couple HP is worth it to me.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #602
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
The sound is throatier and deeper and has a nice whistle around 3k RPM. Honestly I havnt noticed any HP difference. Even the box said id only get 2 more HP's lmao. But the look is way cleaner than stock and now I'm not ashamed to pop my hood lol
Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #603
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I went for the used model with plastic tube so less heat soak & .000000000000000069 more hp per $...
Old 07-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #604
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) & Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I went for the used model with plastic tube so less heat soak & .000000000000000069 more hp per $...
I had that same setup on mine.

My scan gauge noticed higher intake temps.

So I sold the filter and cut the tube to fit the stock air box and removed the elbow from the fender well, and put in a K&N drop in.

Still loud and has lower intake temps.

Kept the MAF sensor in the K&N tube and blocked off the stock hole in the air box.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #605
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmmm, I might consider something like that since the main thing I thought might help was the straight shot to the TB instead of all twist and turns the oem does to get there. Wondering what role the plenum on the oem plays that sits over the valve cover. Also wondering if just removing the fender well deal woulda let enough fresh air in to make the temps same without the customizing of the tube. I do realize that no matter how you configure it the main result is noise and appearance under the hood. The extra noise does help keep the foot out of the gas when trying to save gas when not running torque app on the android.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #606
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Wondering what role the plenum on the oem plays that sits over the valve cover.
Noise.

It's simply an intake muffler. EPA has moved past exhaust systems and is now addressing intake noise pollution.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #607
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

In all honesty, we have a 4cylinder. No matter what upgrades we do, it will still be a 4banger. Lol gota get used to being underpowered.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #608
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
In some vehicles the air hat can actually improve airflow by smoothing it out before entering the intake manifold, but yes, the primary function is to reduce any sucking or whistling noises that would otherwise come from the throttle body under acceleration. In any event, the stock airbox is actually a superior design to most of the short ram intakes on the market because it draws cool air from the fenderwell. The +/- 2 HP increase from short rams is simply due to the increased intake volume and minimization of restrictions, but a true cold air intake system utilizing the same components would probably only pick up an extra 2-4 HP anyways so it's almost a moot point. That's why I'm happy with my intake mods that cost me less than $50... drop-in panel, cut out the charcoal filter, remove the baffles and silencers from the fender well, etc. It doesn't sound as cool or flow as well as an aftermarket job would, but I probably picked up the same amount of power and throttle response at 20% the cost.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #609
DerpWerx Fab

Very true but with the heat Shield on the CAI , it draws in air from the same hole in the fender so the air really should be the same temp. It's mainly just for looks tho.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #610
2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough

2004tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
My IAT was nearing 180F the past week. I capped off my deck plate mod and it definately likes the slightly cooler air coming from the fender.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #611
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Very true but with the heat Shield on the CAI , it draws in air from the same hole in the fender so the air really should be the same temp. It's mainly just for looks tho.
That's what they'd like you to think, but the intake doesn't draw air from the hole unless the intake itself is sealed to it. Think of the hole as more of a "vent" at that point than an induction point. The real purpose of the heat shield is to reflect the hottest air from the exhaust manifold/header back away from the filter.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #612
DerpWerx Fab

Either way, you can't even tell if you lost 3hp or gained 4hp. The best CAI is either a snorkel or one of those that highway diesels have the has a snorkel to under the front bumper. Both are ram air intakes and suck clean air from outside. Not through the fender. But straight outside.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #614
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004tacoprerunner View Post
My IAT was nearing 180F the past week. I capped off my deck plate mod and it definately likes the slightly cooler air coming from the fender.

Last weekend in Vegas for the daughter's wedding, OATs were around 105 and my IAT never went above 110 unless we were sitting in heavy traffic.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #615
DerpWerx Fab

Best thing for our trucks would be to get a hood with a skewp and rig up a T/A type of intake that gets air straight and only from the scoop. That or a snorkel.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #616
DerpWerx Fab

T/A=Trans am (incase anyone didn't know lol)
Old 07-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #617
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
A snorkel would be best, because the hoods on our trucks are in a low pressure zone so you wouldn't get a "ram air" effect from an intake that draws from it. You would get the cooler air still, but if you were going to the cost and effort of something like that it would still be better spent on a snorkel positioned near the roof in a high pressure zone.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #618
DerpWerx Fab

And even then you'd prolly get what... 5-10more HP? Without a tune atleast. And prolly like 1more mpg maybe
Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #620
DerpWerx Fab

And with the added benefit of having holes drilled in your outside piller and having to purchase a spare fender incase you ever wanna go back to stock

Products Discussed in this Thread