Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Stripped Transmission Plug

Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
MightyProper is on a distinguished road

MightyProper's Tacoma Gallery
Stripped Transmission Plug

Flashback to about about 4/5 years and 40,000 miles ago....
Wanted to do my first oil change on my recently purchased 01 Taco, ended up draining the tranny fluid by accident. No biggie, rookie mistake! Refilled the trans w/ fresh fluid and never thought anything of it.
Today: Decided I was going to drain the tranny again and remove the pan and clean up the filter and gunk inside and reseal w/ a new gasket. Bought myself 7 quarts of fresh ATF and FIPG from the dealer. I was all set to drain the fluid. First step? Remove the plug.
As I was trying to remove the plug I noticed it was spinning freely and would not come out. I must have over tightened the damn thing too much. F^HK!!!!!!! What are my options? Could I tap the thing to a bigger size? New pan? Anywhere I could purchase a new pan on the cheap?
Thanks any input is appreciated.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyProper View Post
Flashback to about about 4/5 years and 40,000 miles ago....
Wanted to do my first oil change on my recently purchased 01 Taco, ended up draining the tranny fluid by accident. No biggie, rookie mistake! Refilled the trans w/ fresh fluid and never thought anything of it.
Today: Decided I was going to drain the tranny again and remove the pan and clean up the filter and gunk inside and reseal w/ a new gasket. Bought myself 7 quarts of fresh ATF and FIPG from the dealer. I was all set to drain the fluid. First step? Remove the plug.
As I was trying to remove the plug I noticed it was spinning freely and would not come out. I must have over tightened the damn thing too much. F^HK!!!!!!! What are my options? Could I tap the thing to a bigger size? New pan? Anywhere I could purchase a new pan on the cheap?
Thanks any input is appreciated.
I guess your lucky the stripped bolt stayed put and did not pop out or loosen up...
Maybe check the price of a new pan, check local junk yards for a price on a used one if available and or call around to get a price to fix the old pan if possible. I like the idea of a used or new pan replacement, but someone may be able to fix your pan, just make sure with the fix the new bolt can seat properly to be securely tightened. Good luck, I hope you learned another thing about working on your shit- there is such a thing as too tight, and be real careful with aluminum- a lot easier over torque and screw up!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Usually the threads on the oil pan come from a nut welded to the inside of the pan. So you could just pull the pan and weld the nut back on. Or find a new/ used pan.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Bummer bro, sounds like something I would do.