Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Jake brake feeling

Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Jake brake feeling

ok so this has been happening since day 1 and naturally the dealer doesnt have anything to add/help. mainly i was just wondering if anyone else has the same "occurence" as mine.

ok so i have a 2011 4X2 4cyl access cab.

it happens in the morning, it doesnt matter whether its cold or not outside just before the truck warms up. as the truck decellerates and the rpms drop from 1100-800, the truck does a "shudder" deal. the only thing i can compare it to is the feel of the engine braking or if you roll over a small rumble strip on the side of the road.

again its not really bothering anything im just curious if anyone else has experienced this or if im unique
Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
bumpppppp
Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
is it more of a "feel" or a sound? i have had something similar (i think) happen to me too
Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #4

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
its a feeling. but it happens just about every time after its been sitting for over 6-7 hours (night) and before the temp gauge gets above the C (cold)

but also this may just be a 4 cyl thing. ive never driven a 4 cyl before this truck
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
sorry man don't think i can help ya out. good luck
Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The computer will not let the trans upshift to the highest gear when it is cold. It does this to heat the engine up faster. So by staying in a lower gear you get more engine braking.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #7

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The computer will not let the trans upshift to the highest gear when it is cold. It does this to heat the engine up faster. So by staying in a lower gear you get more engine braking.
that sounds great and all and it makes sense but are you talking about like if you have a stick shift and you downshift to to slow down and the rpms jump UP to slow you down?

the reason i ask is that it feels almost like the opposite. almost as if your trying to start out in 2nd or third. but the (automatic) truck is decelerating...

still not sure if im explaining this in an effective way or not...
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
It might just be the way the transmission downshifts at that speed. I drive a 5 speed so I can't say I've experience exactly what you're describing though.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Dakota that would do that only when cold. It was a sticking Idle Air Control valve. The Tacoma doesn't have that, but I suppose you could have a sticking electronic throttle body.

I have a four cylinder Tacoma at work, but it's a 5 speed.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
johnanm will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Pilot
johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
It the feeling just for a split second and usually around 15-20 mph? I have felt almost the exact same thing you have, complete with the very muffled rumble strip sound.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #11

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanm View Post
It the feeling just for a split second and usually around 15-20 mph? I have felt almost the exact same thing you have, complete with the very muffled rumble strip sound.
WOOO im not alone!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
johnanm will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Pilot
johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpneely View Post
WOOO im not alone!
I feel the same way brother, it's not going to bother me at all now that I know my truck is normal
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
my tacoma, 11' I4 5spd, does get a shudder sometimes when I first start, and sometimes when I stop at a red light or stop sign right after I come to a complete stop..
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
ffbartlett is on a distinguished road

ffbartlett's Tacoma Gallery
haha funny that you posted this. mine does the same thing in the morning if i have to stop at the first light. once i get down to about 15 mph it does a quick shudder as I'm slowing and doesn't do it again until the next morning.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #15

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffbartlett View Post
haha funny that you posted this. mine does the same thing in the morning if i have to stop at the first light. once i get down to about 15 mph it does a quick shudder as I'm slowing and doesn't do it again until the next morning.
yup thats it! just once a day. at that first stop sign.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #16
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanm View Post
Yup me too, once per day, usually just before my first complete stop. It kind of feels like the fuel cutoff engine braking feature, only much stronger and at much lower RPM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #17
Richardsquid will become famous soon enoughRichardsquid will become famous soon enough
Name: Richard
Richardsquid's Tacoma Gallery
my dealer

I have the same thing, my dealer said that since the vehicle is cold, it is still enriching the fuel into the engine. If you were in neutral it would be idling higher than it does once it is warm. As you slow down to stop, the extra fuel keeps trying to keep the idle a little higher so it is sort of like if you had a manual transmission and tried to give it gas in too high a gear, it is basically lugging for a second before the automatic drops out of gear. They said it is more noticeable on newer trucks because the automatic stays engaged longer as you slow down to help emissions. But once it is warmed up there is less fuel so you don't feel it then.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #18
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsquid View Post
I have the same thing, my dealer said that since the vehicle is cold, it is still enriching the fuel into the engine. If you were in neutral it would be idling higher than it does once it is warm. As you slow down to stop, the extra fuel keeps trying to keep the idle a little higher so it is sort of like if you had a manual transmission and tried to give it gas in too high a gear, it is basically lugging for a second before the automatic drops out of gear. They said it is more noticeable on newer trucks because the automatic stays engaged longer as you slow down to help emissions. But once it is warmed up there is less fuel so you don't feel it then.
That makes total sense to me... thanks for the education, and to your dealer/tech as well.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #19

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsquid View Post
that does make total sense! now i have an explanation finally! im glad someones tech is smart in the way of how engines/trucks work...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #20
Canufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to behold

Army: SP5 Army N Guard  Ret
Name: People who call me say "CANUFIXIT"!
Canufixit's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same .... mine is a 2012 base, 4L 4X4 Auto ~4K miles. The Solution /reason stated makes sense. one other possible issue that "might" be a cause (although I do not believe it is so in this case) .... a Bad/leaky vacuum booster on the power brake could steal enough vacuum to cause the rough engine vibs .... leaks when cold and you step on the brake ...