Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4x4 system maintenance?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 system maintenance?

Never owned a 4x4 truck before.......the unit(4x4 system) would only be used during inclement weather. If a 4x4 system(engaging the 4x4 drivetrain) isn't used that often,is there any preventative maintenace one could perform to keep the system "healthy"?.I'm confident this has been discussed before...did a search,all that came up is breakdown issues...possibly my search wording isn't correct?.Any previous post recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
It says in the manual that you should drive your truck in 4H 10 miles per month. This will keep things lubricated and in working condition. Make sure you don't do it on pavement, and if you have to due to lack of gravel or snow or mud, don't turn to sharp.

Other than that just the normal, outlined in the manual, service is needed.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply sir!. I think you answered my next comment.....what if there isn't mud,gravel etc. for me to run 4H in?....I guess if I drive slowly in a straight line(in 4H) on pavement for a couple of miles per week that should surfice without tearing up anything......right?.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
hey OP. i'm glad you asked that question because i was wondering the same thing. with my old Ford Ranger I would remind myself every day it rained to kick the 4x4 on for a few miles. we haven't had rain here in KS for awhile so i'll probably just go slow on pavement also.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply's folks....straight line,slow driving "shouldn't hurt anything.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC, 30k gear oil changes.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
IIRC, 30k gear oil changes.
i did my diffs at 1k. rear was nasty, with what looked like antiseize all over the plug. front was not bad at all. i will redo them at 10k, and if it looks pretty i will then adhere to the 30k changes.

there was ZERO grease in my driveshaft, went through nearly a whole small tube of grease on all the zerks.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Rodney........you mean you changed your differential fluids at the 1000k mark?.....and your driveshaft was that lacking in lube in only 1000k.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney View Post
i did my diffs at 1k. rear was nasty, with what looked like antiseize all over the plug. front was not bad at all. i will redo them at 10k, and if it looks pretty i will then adhere to the 30k changes.

there was ZERO grease in my driveshaft, went through nearly a whole small tube of grease on all the zerks.
Lube ujoints every 5k. Should take five pumps from a primed gun, give or take. All of my gear oils were still clean after 40k. I wonder what's up with yours.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my '06 reg.cab 4X4 exactly a year ago with only 17,800 miles on it. Needless to say I think it sat for long periods of time, which led to moisture build-up in the differential cases and transmission. The fluids were opaque and gray in color. Very recently I changed my rear differential fluid again at 31,000 miles and it was the same color as when I put it in. I'll probably stick to the 30,000 mile interval now.

Rear u-joints should be done with every oil change, if not earlier.