1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crappy 2WD Taco results in the snow :/

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by MotoPhotog, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jan 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Put a couple hundred pounds of tube sand in the bed, over the rear axle. And get studded tires for the rear. That should do it. And be gentle with the gas so you don't break free. I've found it much easier to break a manual free than an automatic. But since it's a 4, with it's reduced torque and HP, that should be an easy adjustment.

2. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    Camshaft

Camshaft Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camshaft
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 2.7 2wd
    GROM ipod, usb, 3.5mm input
    I use 2x 60lb sand bags in the gap between the wheel wells and the front of the box, running lil larger diameter than stock tires ("all weather", not "all season" dunlops) and air down to about 26 psi in the rear. I have no problems getting around town and i only get stuck when im asking for it...:help:

Dedicated winter tires make all the difference if you can swing it. Studded tires are amazing for winter but awful if u get stuck in the rain with them.

You could keep a set of tire chains on board if you're really worried.

2wd's are NOT the greatest for winter i agree. However i see so many over confident 4x4's in the winter that forget that 4x4 decreases their braking effectiveness (compared to 2wd on account of the extra weight). Just take it a bit slower and drive according to whats happening a block or two ahead of you and it'll be fine !

3. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    MotoPhotog

MotoPhotog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Covington, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access cab SR5
    8000k HID's

They are even better than all weather. They're snow tires. Dunlop snow tires.

2 bags of 60lb sand was not enough. Once I had 5, the truck drives like a champ. Did better this morning on the ice/snow/slush than last night on my gf's ford focus, which seemed to be a good snow car.

Anyway, problem solved. but a lot of good ideas here.

4. Jan 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    I use 5 60 LB bags too. people say to put all the weight over the real axle but I found putting the weight closer to the tailgate makes the weight more effective . It uses the back axle as a pivot point, almost like a see-saw.

5. Jan 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    ?? So does McDonalds.

6. Jan 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    It depends what kind of snow you're driving in. But in MOST situations you wouldn't want to air down your tires. A smaller contact patch with the ground increases the pressure on that area, which helps to cut through the snow. A wider tire will decrease the pressure on the contact patch and can cause the tires to basically float.

Yes, you can increase the length of the moment arm, which will amplify the effect of the weight you're adding. This is will provide more downward force on the rear tires. At the same time however, you are also decreasing the downward force on the front tires which can cause them to float, and make it difficult to steer. Additionally, adding weight behind the rear axle increases the length of the lateral moment arm making you more likely to spin-out.

7. Jan 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    ^ good info Andrew ! so putting weight behind the rear axle is a tradeoff.

8. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Yup. You just need to find a happy medium.

9. Jan 20, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    alexander323bc

alexander323bc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    20 pounds over each tire with good tires and driving smart goes a long way. Like i said before my first truck is was 2wd Toyota pickup with the old 2.2 4 cylinder engine. With smart downshifting before hills and proper weight and tires I always made it where I needed to go.

10. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    npease28

npease28 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 5-Lug
    2010 2WD 5LUG with 31x10.50-15 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2's. No weight in the bed, pics show with chains on but didn't chain up till the last few feet up the mountain. Will find the pics that show almost same height snow with no chains on. I love my truck and it does amazing in the snow! If all else fails carry chains!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Jan 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    Madscone

Madscone Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fel
    North Pole, Alaska
    Also posted this in the 5-lug forum last week:

No real problems here in Fairbanks.

I have 4 studded tires which helps. Plus 4 sandbags tied down in the bed (D-ring mod). Plus another rim with studded tire and a floor jack chained down in the bed. I learned that trick after I got a flat tire on the Richardson Highway one night in November when it was 20 below zero. It was no fun trying to winch down the spare tire from underneath the bed and change the tire, all while using the crappy OEM jack and crank.

Live and learn.

12. Jan 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    '78 super beetle with studs and some sandbags in the backseat. Those things are crazy in snow for 2WD fun.

13. Jan 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    It's the driver :laugh:

14. Jan 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM
    brian65oh

brian65oh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Nor Cal (currently stationed in Jax beach FL)
    Vehicle:
    05 pre runner
    camburg long travel w/ race runner 2.5x8 co Deaver springs spintech race muffler kn cold air intake
    my 2wd went everywhere in about 6 inches of snow with no problem its all in the throttle, tires are 285/75r16 Procomp Extreme all terrains

15. Jan 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Man I like the way Taco's look w/o fender flares. Gives a real clean/smooth look.

I want those tires!

16. Jan 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    Union Taco Man

Union Taco Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Avon,IN
    Vehicle:
    06 4cyl SR5
    PSSHHHHHHH!!! you losers use sandbags. I just go downtown and kill 3 crackwhores and throw them in the bed and thats enough weight for the winter.

17. Jan 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    It could have been worse, Darren. I'm stuck with 14" of snow and no power now for 4 going on 5 days. But I do have 4wd. I will say though that the e-lsd and vsc hinder driving in the snow since the kill momentum when wheel slippage is detected.

18. Jan 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    This winter no sandbag bag in the back and got stuck. Last year had 4 60lbs sand bags on rear axle and never got stucked. Weight in the bed made hell of a big difference. And the truck is still on stock Dueler HT

19. Jan 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    zoopla

zoopla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma trd dbl cab
    K&N cold air intake FXR retrofit/Vleds Avid front bar/side steps 3" Eibach lift
    where i live, winter tires are mandatory, yes you get fined if you have 4season tires...they had to pass the law even though 80% of the population already had winter tires on their vehicules. but i guess the other 20% didn't care about their life or family...

people that have rwd car/trucks put them away for winter, they simply sucks on icy roads...i guess that's why we don't get the pre runners here... snow=4x4

20. Jan 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    2007 tacoma

2007 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab
    16" Alloys, K&N intake, Class III Hitch, US Truck Cap Rack, Carpeted Bed Mat, WeatherTechs, SeatSaver covers, Many more in the works
    I only have a 4x2, but once I weigh the bed down with sandbags it's great. Six fifty pound bags usually do it. It wouldn't hurt to have a couple more and a shovel to use sand for traction on ice sheets if needed.

Before that I can't get rolling hardly and forget getting started uphill. Afterwards I can pretty much go whereever I want. Just slow.

That's to get going. It's more important to get stopped. Many others have said that it's also how you drive and that's very true.

- Start out slow.
    - Don't slam on brakes on ice. Slow down very slowly. Best to coast to a stop.
    - Go slow.
    - Plan your stops and turns well in advance so you can slow down and take them easily.
    - Drive very defensively and assume that the other drivers on the road aren't. Especially if you don't get a lot of bad weather.

Last year I was taking my time on a road that was hard packed snow that was basically ice. I looked in my mirror to see an Explorer in 4WD high closing fast. I could tell he wasn't going to stop so I started to get out of his way at the same time he cut his steering wheel. Of course he had so much momentum he started sliding. I was more than happy then to get out of his way to allow him to hit a concrete barrier instead of me.

Products Discussed in

To Top