Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

feels like the clutch/ transmission is slipping??

Old 01-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
toyotaxo25 is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
toyotaxo25's Tacoma Gallery
feels like the clutch/ transmission is slipping??

Hey everyone, I just purchased my first tacoma yesterday, a 2009 I4 4x4 access cab 5spd with 21k miles. While I was driving it last night when I would hammer it in 2nd and 3rd the rpms would rip up with the MPH staying roughly the same. Then the rpms would drop a little bit (like it was grabbing) then MPH would climb like it was suppose to. The tires were definately not breaking loose. Is the clutch shot?? Would this be covered under the factory warranty??
Any help would be much appreciated.

I took it over too the DMV today to get some forms, it was a tank on the snow covered roads, love this truck.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
There's supposedly a TSB on this issue with the 2.7 manual.
Search around, you'll find a couple of threads on it.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
thanks jflan, I found the tsb. I hope I can get this done with out any problems.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
I took my truck into the dealer on thursday, they ordered a new clutch dropping it off on tuesday. Dealer said everything is covered. Thanks for the help on this.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaxo25 View Post
I took my truck into the dealer on thursday, they ordered a new clutch dropping it off on tuesday. Dealer said everything is covered. Thanks for the help on this.
How did you bring this up to the dealership? Did you refer to the TSB? My clutch isn't slipping, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I have one of the Luk clutches, and I don't feel that I'm going to get a lot of miles on it.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
I didnt bring up the TSB number, (I had it ready depending on how they were going to respond) I told them that I felt it slipping when I first picked the truck up, although I could not replicate the slippage in the past couple of days. I also told them there was some lateral movement in the clutch pedal when it was depressed and that I did some research on the problem and to my knowledge there was two different clutches that were installed in these trucks, one being the LUK and was much more inferior which was causing problems in a number of trucks like mine. They took the truck on two test drives, I watched them from the waiting room, they were romping on it. While the truck was there they fixed the recall on the accelarator pedal, took 30 minutes. After 50 minutes the service manager met me in the waiting room and said he ordered a new clutch that will be much better than what is in it now...... he didnt say it was slipping rather it had the sensation it was slipping
Old 01-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaxo25 View Post
I didnt bring up the TSB number, (I had it ready depending on how they were going to respond) I told them that I felt it slipping when I first picked the truck up, although I could not replicate the slippage in the past couple of days. I also told them there was some lateral movement in the clutch pedal when it was depressed and that I did some research on the problem and to my knowledge there was two different clutches that were installed in these trucks, one being the LUK and was much more inferior which was causing problems in a number of trucks like mine. They took the truck on two test drives, I watched them from the waiting room, they were romping on it. While the truck was there they fixed the recall on the accelarator pedal, took 30 minutes. After 50 minutes the service manager met me in the waiting room and said he ordered a new clutch that will be much better than what is in it now...... he didnt say it was slipping rather it had the sensation it was slipping
Perfect. Thank you very much!

I'm going to the dealership today for an alignment, so I'll be sure to mention my thoughts on the clutch.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
got my clutch replaced at under 10k. It has been mentioned that some of our trucks were fitted with made in japan clutches and some were fitted with made in usa clutches. Apparantly the ones fitted with usa clutches are having premature problems.