Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Bull Bar and Winch Bumper Practical?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
yotatildeath2010 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
yotatildeath2010's Tacoma Gallery
Bull Bar and Winch Bumper Practical?

I recently purchased my first toyota, a used 2011 Regular Cab 4 cylinder 4x4 (not lifted and pretty much like it came off the factory floor) and I'm curious about adding something like the ARB Bull Bar & Winch Bumper to it. I have questions about what it would do to my mpg's? the approximate cost inculding fog lights and 3000lb winch? Should I get a lift and bigger tires before putting it on? and if it's even really that practical for a 4 cylinder? I would really appreciate your guys' input on this idea. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
do you want to lift the truck?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
You're going to need heavier duty front springs and shocks to handle the weight of the ARB bumper and you'll want more than a 3k lbs winch the average rule of thumb is to get a winch that is rated at twice the vehicle weight.

you can find an ARB bumper here used every so often for $6-800 or new for about a grand
a good winch will run you another $600-1000 bucks
new shocks springs will be another $400-1500 dollars
tired will be another 800-1200 dollars depending on what you go with
Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
why so much on the winch? A warn M8000 is only $400
Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
just ball parking numbers
low and high
m8000 for 400 or an XD9000i 9.5 for 1200
Old 01-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Right in Reno?! My shop is on the edge of Sparks, on Greg st.
Hit me up if you're interested in any of my bumpers/armor.
I can even do aluminum to keep it light weight since it seems to be a concern with your 4banger.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
Before you buy a lift,figure out what kind of weight your going to put on your front end.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
You're going to need heavier duty front springs and shocks to handle the weight of the ARB bumper and you'll want more than a 3k lbs winch the average rule of thumb is to get a winch that is rated at twice the vehicle weight.

you can find an ARB bumper here used every so often for $6-800 or new for about a grand
a good winch will run you another $600-1000 bucks
new shocks springs will be another $400-1500 dollars
tired will be another 800-1200 dollars depending on what you go with
So I'm probably gonna be around $3500-4500 roughly? I think I definately would like the ARB for it's strength and integrety but I haven't yet got a full grasp of what else is out there yet. I figured I would need better springs and shocks. How much of a lift would you suggest with the ARB?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
do you want to lift the truck?
Yes I do but not too much. Just enough to put a decent set of offroad tires on it. I just have the stock street ones on it right now.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
Before you buy a lift figure out how much weight your going to add to your front. Buy it all at once. Relentless is local and makes a really good product. Add a winch to it and your looking at 250LBs+ this will effect the type of coil you need to buy if your going to go something basic like OME
Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Right in Reno?! My shop is on the edge of Sparks, on Greg st.
Hit me up if you're interested in any of my bumpers/armor.
I can even do aluminum to keep it light weight since it seems to be a concern with your 4banger.
Ok cool. Yeah I think I've driven past a couple times. I'll have drop in by sometime soon to get an idea of what you think would be best for all this. What's the adress on Greg?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Before you buy a lift figure out how much weight your going to add to your front. Buy it all at once. Relentless is local and makes a really good product. Add a winch to it and your looking at 250LBs+ this will effect the type of coil you need to buy if your going to go something basic like OME
Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for the tip. What do you think that kind of weight would do to the mpg's? If you factor in the lift and and some tires.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
As for weight, if you go aluminum the bumper is only about 60lbs so you might be adding 30-40lbs there over stock, then the winch which is about 80-90lbs. Add roughly 50lbs if you go with one of my steel bumpers. So that means adding 180lbs max with my stuff.
Arb alone is around 160lbs from what I've read.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
As for weight, if you go aluminum the bumper is only about 60lbs so you might be adding 30-40lbs there over stock, then the winch which is about 80-90lbs. Add roughly 50lbs if you go with one of my steel bumpers. So that means adding 180lbs max with my stuff.
Arb alone is around 160lbs from what I've read.
Aluminum bumper you make is nice!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #17
I really appreciate all the help guys! Thanks!