Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

K&N Cold Air?

Old 02-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
StormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
StormTrooper's Tacoma Gallery
K&N Cold Air?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-COLD-AIR...493#vi-content

Anyone recommend this? Im not looking for some huge power gain... Just something else to add to the truck for better air flow and slight hp gain.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You wont get a gain. More noise, but thats about it.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
StormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
StormTrooper's Tacoma Gallery
Thats fine.. just better flow. Like i said, im not expecting much. But more my question is is this an exact fit with the sensor and everything
Old 02-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
you wont get better flow. you will get absolutely nothing. maybe "looking pretty" if that is what you are after.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
Thats fine.. just better flow. Like i said, im not expecting much. But more my question is is this an exact fit with the sensor and everything
Looks like it. You wont get better flow either. The OEM intake is pretty good. Unless you are going to do more mods, to work in conjunction with the intake, your better off saving your money.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
On many engines an aftermarket intake can be a waste of money.

I can tell you this I have done extensive dyno testing on the different Toyota trucks and I can tell you for a fact you will pick up power when you get that restictive stock air filter box off of your 1GR engine.

Out of the ones I have tested, the URD makes the most power improvement. On my 2005 XRunner we picked up around 18 RWHP.

The next best of the ones I have tested is the aFe Stage 2si. On my 2006 4Runner we picked up 12 RWHP.

This was using a DynoJet Dyno.

G
^^^
Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Ron......skip the k & n intake. wont do anything for ya. get a good dry flow filter like the afe pro dry s and you'll be good to go.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Found Gadgets full write up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
If we are talking about the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6, then that statement is completely in error.

On many engines these days there is little or no increase in power when an aftermarket air intake is installed, but that is not the case on the 1GR.

When URD got our 2005 Tacoma, I immediately started looking for the "FREE" hp mods that I found for the older 3.4L V6. All of that is detailed on my website www.GadgetOnline.com.

I got on the dyno and started running tests and tested it without the big main tube installed. No gain in power. Tested it with the lid off of the air filter box. No gain in power. Tested it with the carbon trap removed. No gain in power. Tested it with the lid off, the main filter out and the carbon trap out, NO GAIN IN POWER.

It was very clear that the stock air filter box its self had to go. It makes sense if you really look at the design of it. The air has to make several sharp turns in there before it gets into the engine. All these turns makes so much turbulence that Toyota had to install a flow straightener before the MAF to calm things down to get a clean reading. All this adds up to a significant flow restriction.

This led to the development of the URD TCAI. On my 2005 XRunner it gained around 18 RWHP over the stock air filter box and the faster you drive it take advantage of the increased dynamic air pressure that builds up in front of the vehicle to force more air into the engine then would normally be pulled in for more power.

The URD TCAI was intended to be a street performance intake and it is ideal for the XRunners. If you are an avid off roader and go through creeks and streams it is not the intake for you. For you guys we have the aFe Stage 2si intake.

aFe used to make the intake system for TRD and it is a very good intake. I tested that on my 2006 4Runner with the 1GR and the gain was 12 RWHP over the stock air filter box and we keep a large stock of these intakes with the ProDryS synthetic filter on the self at URD.

Those are the two intakes we recommend the most. There are some others we have gained experience with over the years and here are a few:

Volant- Nice design overall but there is a significant design problem that makes the MAF read very high causing the engine to run very rich killing power. Generally most with the Volant will have a loss of power over stock due to the increase in the richness of the fuel mixture. URD has a special program for our MAF Cal to address this. On one customer' truck a dyno test showed a loss of 15 RWHP with the Volant and after a retune with the URD MAF Cal the gain was 30 RWHP (15 over the stock intake only after correction).

AirAid- We have dyno tested this and there is no gain because they retain the stock air filter box and convert it to a hot air intake. They are basically just sticking a cone filter where the main air tube is and removing the filter media from inside the air filter box.

There are others that are hot air intakes, your basic filter on a stick and they pull in hot engine compartment air. This is not good for making power in general.

If I can help you with a URD or an aFe intake, let me know.

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
^^^^ This

Having personally owned both the AFE stage 2ci and now a URDTCAI, I definitely notice a difference in both
Old 02-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #10

Quote:
^^^
Quote:
Found Gadgets full write up:
Did you bother to read the OP has the 2.7??
Old 02-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
u will get better throttle response..........Id look for some kinda dry filter media tho.
It has no affect on the throttle response. THe throttle will still open the same speed, regardless of the intake you have. If an engine has poor throttle response, thats most always a fueling issue, rather than an air intake issue.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You will probably lose power. Also why do you need better flow? Also K&N doesn't make cold air intakes.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Did you bother to read the OP has the 2.7??
Nope, missed that..
Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Braaaaaaaaaap!!!!

I'm thinking about selling my TRD intake for a URD as soon as that apple pie eating asshole gives my his opinion on the URD.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #15

Also, as far as the faster throttle response thing, it's not that your throttle body "responds faster" but the added power always your engine to rev up faster. Commonly called faster throttle response.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Braaaaaaaaaap!!!!

I'm thinking about selling my TRD intake for a URD as soon as that apple pie eating asshole gives my his opinion on the URD.
I also have the URD TCAI you know
Old 02-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #17

Quote:
not what my experience has been..........

stock- OK

AFE- faster response
URD TCAI- faster response

maxima - same (increased) with a jim wolf intake

celica same (increased) with K&N intake

YMMV
Alot of people think that, as they can now hear the intake, vs. not being able to hear it as much when stock. Ive had 2 1GR's side by side. 1 stock, and one with headers, exhaust, intake. They both reved the same. The way (speed) and engine revs is mostly determind by the reciprocating mass inside the engine. A lighter flywheel can increase the speed at which the engine responds to throttle inputs, but other wise, aside from major tuning, and corisponding mods, any difference isnt going to be perceptible without the use of some computer monitoring device.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Braaaaaaaaaap!!!!

The URD design is a good design. Personally, I think its how a "COld air" intake should be for our trucks.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #19

Quote:
intake temps are somehow reading average of 2 degrees BELOW ambient.
Its the URD COld air AIR CONDITIONER intake!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #20

I could definitely do without the wind buffeting effect though...