1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cruise control

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by alankidwell, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Dec 3, 2008 at 3:52 PM
    alankidwell

alankidwell [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl access cab
    i have a 4 cyl 2007/autp/access cab/sr5. I have a very annoying cruise control problem. Here in savannah everything works great, no problems. But when i drive to ohio like i do 6-7 times a year, in the hills of va and west va, holly crap. The cruise is about useless, lets say that i have it set at 65, the truck is in 4th gear overdrive, commin up on the hill when it starts i can hear the engine starting to strain to hold the speed, the engine gets louder i see the trans come out of over drive for a split second and stright to 3rd it goes, we race up the hill from 59-60ish to 70 or more, now in the middle of the hill, the truck shifts to 4th right into oever drive and we start all over. God forbid i am in second gears speed range cause it will downshift to 2nd overshoot the speed and right back to 4th in overdrive to start the cycle again. I took it the stealership and they drove it five miles and said could not duplicate fault, knowing full well that i told them that the hills need to be larger than we have here, there arn't any hills here that will even take the truck out of od.
    So are there any other 4cy guys out there that have experianced this, got it fixed? or learned to live with it.

2. Dec 3, 2008 at 4:04 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    Cruise control on most vehicles is no good for hills, my v6 07 downshifts w/ huge rpms to climb the hill I just shut it off on the hills

3. Dec 3, 2008 at 4:33 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I shift the transmission lever into third when it first downshifts to get it to go up the hill at a steady speed. If you leave it it tries to go to second.

4. Dec 4, 2008 at 1:02 AM
    br217398

br217398 Crazy Person.....

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Hornblasters horns,Strobe lights,Police Undercover Vehicle, Volent Ram air system, pro comp POS AAL, biltein all around, step bars.
    that sounds like a great idea!! damn.... i get so darn annoyed with that as well the freakin downshifting to 2nd to climb a "hill". Here in florida if the road goes up 5 ft in a minute we consider it a hill, and i have the same issue.... ill try that one out

:Dthanks

5. Dec 4, 2008 at 8:31 AM
    marvin02

marvin02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab SR5 - Black
    Top Dawg Folding Tonneau Cover, DIY Bed Light, Aux. Input for MP3 Player, OEM Bed Mat
    I found that after removing the "secondary air filter" (the extra emissions filter) in the air cleaner box that my truck downshifts much less on small hills when using cruise. It does not eliminate the downshifts, but there are fewer. This was the most noticeable benefit of removing the secondary filter to me.

Do a forum search and you will find info on this mod.

6. Dec 6, 2008 at 5:21 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I feel your pain. The "hill" I drive every day is the Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay.

7. Dec 6, 2008 at 6:25 AM
    br217398

br217398 Crazy Person.....

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Hornblasters horns,Strobe lights,Police Undercover Vehicle, Volent Ram air system, pro comp POS AAL, biltein all around, step bars.

that is more or less a mountain :) ive driven to madiera bch maybe once a year for the past 10 years. Love that area compared to orlando

(sorry off topic)

Products Discussed in

To Top