Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Cruise control

Old 12-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
alankidwell is on a distinguished road
alankidwell's Tacoma Gallery
Cruise control

i have a 4 cyl 2007/autp/access cab/sr5. I have a very annoying cruise control problem. Here in savannah everything works great, no problems. But when i drive to ohio like i do 6-7 times a year, in the hills of va and west va, holly crap. The cruise is about useless, lets say that i have it set at 65, the truck is in 4th gear overdrive, commin up on the hill when it starts i can hear the engine starting to strain to hold the speed, the engine gets louder i see the trans come out of over drive for a split second and stright to 3rd it goes, we race up the hill from 59-60ish to 70 or more, now in the middle of the hill, the truck shifts to 4th right into oever drive and we start all over. God forbid i am in second gears speed range cause it will downshift to 2nd overshoot the speed and right back to 4th in overdrive to start the cycle again. I took it the stealership and they drove it five miles and said could not duplicate fault, knowing full well that i told them that the hills need to be larger than we have here, there arn't any hills here that will even take the truck out of od.
So are there any other 4cy guys out there that have experianced this, got it fixed? or learned to live with it.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
I shift the transmission lever into third when it first downshifts to get it to go up the hill at a steady speed. If you leave it it tries to go to second.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:02 AM   #4
Crazy Person.....
br217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nice
br217398's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to br217398
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
I shift the transmission lever into third when it first downshifts to get it to go up the hill at a steady speed. If you leave it it tries to go to second.
that sounds like a great idea!! damn.... i get so darn annoyed with that as well the freakin downshifting to 2nd to climb a "hill". Here in florida if the road goes up 5 ft in a minute we consider it a hill, and i have the same issue.... ill try that one out

thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

marvin02's Tacoma Gallery
I found that after removing the "secondary air filter" (the extra emissions filter) in the air cleaner box that my truck downshifts much less on small hills when using cruise. It does not eliminate the downshifts, but there are fewer. This was the most noticeable benefit of removing the secondary filter to me.

Do a forum search and you will find info on this mod.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by br217398 View Post
that sounds like a great idea!! damn.... i get so darn annoyed with that as well the freakin downshifting to 2nd to climb a "hill". Here in florida if the road goes up 5 ft in a minute we consider it a hill, and i have the same issue.... ill try that one out

thanks
I feel your pain. The "hill" I drive every day is the Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Crazy Person.....
br217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nice
br217398's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to br217398
off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
I feel your pain. The "hill" I drive every day is the Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay.

that is more or less a mountain ive driven to madiera bch maybe once a year for the past 10 years. Love that area compared to orlando

(sorry off topic)