1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noise after 3" OME Lift kit

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by dtown, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    dtown

dtown [OP] Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4x4
    Yeah,
    I read a lot about this before I decided to go with an OME 3" complete lift on my 09' Taco reg cab 4x4. I went with a complete leaf spring kit, 885 coils w/ 3/4" front spacers. I am still running 16" wheels w/ goodyear wrangler duratrac tires. I was really hoping that after having this kit installed professionally, that I would not be a victim of "the noise" that seems to plague 4 banger tacos w/ a lift kit.

So, "the noise." I am not a mechanic, but I am somewhat mechanically inclined. That being said, I've read about a lot of different remedies for this noise, which consists of a vibrating that happens in the driveshaft or diff. when you take your foot off of the gas and you're going faster than about 55. I don't think it happens when I'm in 4wd, so it must be the rear shaft. But then again I never go faster than 50 or so when im in 4, so it's tough to say, but I don't think it happens in 4.

I've read about some remedies which include; Simply flipping the rear driveshaft from end to end (some say it works some claim nonsense), installing the 3 degree axle spacers that OME offers, getting a new 2-piece driveshaft to compensate for the now "whacked out" angles that lifting the truck caused where the shaft meets the diff? I think? At any rate, as I am not a mechanic and only somewhat mechanically inclined, I was really hoping someone on here with a 2nd gen. 4 banger, lifted, would have some answers to this problem, for a grateful tacoworld member:) I know there are others' who have run into this issue, so hopefully some folks can chime in w/ a little insight!

I hope everyone that reads this has a phenomenal day and an even better night! God Bless you and your family and friends.

Clint

[​IMG]

2. Feb 7, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
  3. Feb 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Between the carrier bearing spacer and the rear axle degree shim, you should be able to get the rear driveline as close to 0 degrees as possible. Both are available from Toyteclifts.com
    With front vibes, the front diff drop may be necessary.

4. Feb 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    First, the front:
    Whoa - 885 springs AND a 3/4" spacer? Do you have any downtravel left at all? Actually, that photo doesn't look like the front is crazy high - are you sure you didn't perhaps use 884 springs with a spacer? Measure from the center of the front hub to the bottom of the front fender and report back.

Now, the noise.
    Yeah, a loudish noise through the cab when you let off the gas going around 60 or 55, is probably the rear driveshaft. You can't "change" to a 1 piece driveshaft, because that's what you've already got. The "carrier bearing" driveshaft is only on the longer access and double cab models.

It's pretty easy to end-for-end swap the driveshaft. Try it out if you want too.

Aside from that, maybe just grease your driveshaft zerks and then don't worry about it.

5. Feb 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Holy crap , how much lift did you get with that set up on a reg cab ?

6. Feb 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    98regstick

98regstick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB SR5
    OME 90021 with 885s and top plate spacer, 2" AAL, OME rear shocks, Camburg Uniball UCAs, OME CB Drop, 285/75/16 BFG AT's on Level 8 Guardian wheels
    the answer must be in the 4 billion + posts! :eek:

7. Feb 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    If you don't address the vibration from the u-joints, they will eventually fail. The rear noise/vibe is from the u-joints excessive movement. They are only quiet and vibe free with a few degrees of misalignment(the actual number escapes me). By clocking the rear axle pointing closer to the transmission lessens the misalignment and will either reduce or eliminate the noise. This is accomplished with a wedge shim between the leaf seat and the axle.

I didn't check the op's truck before my first post. :facepalm:

Products Discussed in

To Top