Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Noise after 3" OME Lift kit

Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
dtown is on a distinguished road
dtown's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Noise after 3" OME Lift kit

Yeah,
I read a lot about this before I decided to go with an OME 3" complete lift on my 09' Taco reg cab 4x4. I went with a complete leaf spring kit, 885 coils w/ 3/4" front spacers. I am still running 16" wheels w/ goodyear wrangler duratrac tires. I was really hoping that after having this kit installed professionally, that I would not be a victim of "the noise" that seems to plague 4 banger tacos w/ a lift kit.

So, "the noise." I am not a mechanic, but I am somewhat mechanically inclined. That being said, I've read about a lot of different remedies for this noise, which consists of a vibrating that happens in the driveshaft or diff. when you take your foot off of the gas and you're going faster than about 55. I don't think it happens when I'm in 4wd, so it must be the rear shaft. But then again I never go faster than 50 or so when im in 4, so it's tough to say, but I don't think it happens in 4.

I've read about some remedies which include; Simply flipping the rear driveshaft from end to end (some say it works some claim nonsense), installing the 3 degree axle spacers that OME offers, getting a new 2-piece driveshaft to compensate for the now "whacked out" angles that lifting the truck caused where the shaft meets the diff? I think? At any rate, as I am not a mechanic and only somewhat mechanically inclined, I was really hoping someone on here with a 2nd gen. 4 banger, lifted, would have some answers to this problem, for a grateful tacoworld member I know there are others' who have run into this issue, so hopefully some folks can chime in w/ a little insight!

I hope everyone that reads this has a phenomenal day and an even better night! God Bless you and your family and friends.

Clint

Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
It's in your front diff check out this thread
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tion-poll.html
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Between the carrier bearing spacer and the rear axle degree shim, you should be able to get the rear driveline as close to 0 degrees as possible. Both are available from Toyteclifts.com
With front vibes, the front diff drop may be necessary.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
First, the front:
Whoa - 885 springs AND a 3/4" spacer? Do you have any downtravel left at all? Actually, that photo doesn't look like the front is crazy high - are you sure you didn't perhaps use 884 springs with a spacer? Measure from the center of the front hub to the bottom of the front fender and report back.

Now, the noise.
Yeah, a loudish noise through the cab when you let off the gas going around 60 or 55, is probably the rear driveshaft. You can't "change" to a 1 piece driveshaft, because that's what you've already got. The "carrier bearing" driveshaft is only on the longer access and double cab models.

It's pretty easy to end-for-end swap the driveshaft. Try it out if you want too.

Aside from that, maybe just grease your driveshaft zerks and then don't worry about it.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Holy crap , how much lift did you get with that set up on a reg cab ?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
98regstick is a jewel in the rough98regstick is a jewel in the rough98regstick is a jewel in the rough

Name: Chris
98regstick's Tacoma Gallery
the answer must be in the 4 billion + posts!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Now, the noise.
Yeah, a loudish noise through the cab when you let off the gas going around 60 or 55, is probably the rear driveshaft. You can't "change" to a 1 piece driveshaft, because that's what you've already got. The "carrier bearing" driveshaft is only on the longer access and double cab models.

It's pretty easy to end-for-end swap the driveshaft. Try it out if you want too.

Aside from that, maybe just grease your driveshaft zerks and then don't worry about it.
If you don't address the vibration from the u-joints, they will eventually fail. The rear noise/vibe is from the u-joints excessive movement. They are only quiet and vibe free with a few degrees of misalignment(the actual number escapes me). By clocking the rear axle pointing closer to the transmission lessens the misalignment and will either reduce or eliminate the noise. This is accomplished with a wedge shim between the leaf seat and the axle.

I didn't check the op's truck before my first post.