1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD TCAI for 2.7 2TR's

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Underdog777, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Feb 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    Underdog777

Underdog777 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    I got an email back from Gadget. The short version is this

"I can tell you that we ship very few intakes for that application and there just does not seem to be the market potential for us to develop one."

What this boils down to is 2.7 owners wanting a quality, functioning intake that isn't just a hot filter on a stick. Not everyone can afford a S/C but want something to bolt on that will legitimately show improvement.

If we show the demand, we could get ourselves a 2.7 TCAI...w/ option of integrating with the s/c kit of course :wink:

2. Feb 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    The stock filter box seems appropriate for the engine. Removing the intake silencer in the fender helps airflow. The only other restriction appears to be the air duct between the filter/MAF housing and the throttle body.
    Make a reasonably cost replacement for the section between the airbox and the throttle body.

3. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    schwegs89

schwegs89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vineland, New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Black 2012 4cyl. 4x4 Reg. Cab
    Not to be a new but there is a intake silencer? Removing that creates better flow? Could you possibly post a pic of where it is? Also did you remove the secondary filter? I just bought my 2012 I'm scared to remove/cutomize stuff on such a new truck only a week old lol. I just bought a drop in K&N filter for now but would love a URD TCAI if it was at the right price :cool:

4. Feb 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    Underdog777

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    Not bad input. To a point chris 2x4 made to me the intake system is robust, but IMO it still has too many aggressive bends before the main collect box.

With smoother curved piping and air pushing into the system it would prove to help relieve some slight restriction.

5. Feb 15, 2012 at 4:15 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The silencer is in the fenderwell on passenger side. Just pull down the fender liner to get to it. I blocked off those openings in the fender liner in front of the wheel with the side of a black plastic waste basket I cut up so crap wouldn't get all over the backside of the fog light. I feel this will also help keep excessive moisture out of there too if removing the silencer. Secondary is just a charcoal filter for fumes mostly from what I have seen posted here. Mine has been removed, no fumes no issues.

6. Feb 15, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    schwegs89

schwegs89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vineland, New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Black 2012 4cyl. 4x4 Reg. Cab
    OK cool I might have to try this thanks

7. Feb 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    thats what im talkin about!! moddin a 12 like you should!!

bump:)

8. Feb 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    Underdog777

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    Lunch time bump!

9. Feb 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    In My Opinion.
    The air filter and housing seen appropriate for the engine size. I too, do not care for the bends and shape changes between the filter box and the throttle body. A reshaped duct would streamline airflow. As the MAF sensor is part of the filter box, making a new duct between it and the throttle body should little to no effect on MAF readings.
    The current filter box is not the best shape for flow. Too may turns. But I prefer it to the conical filter type. It allows better separation of moisture and solids by the airstream direction changes and the upward flow through the filter.
    I removed the intake silencer in the fender because of the elbow and reducer nozzle. I considered just cutting the nozzle but that would render the silencer ineffective. So I just removed it.
    Here is a thread with more on that.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/71559-2-7l-filterbox-mod-pics.html
    And, I said this in another thread, I believe that reducing flow restrictions are more important than gaining a couple of degrees of "cold" air.

10. Feb 16, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    JEA86

JEA86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road
    the stock intake is a cold air, just remove the fender resonator, secondary air filter, and drop in a high flow filter, BAM you have just as much usable power than an aftermarket intake.

for a true gain of 2 HP a CAI "might" give, is it really worth the 300+ dollars to make it happen?

11. Feb 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    Underdog777

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    4.0's yielded better gains than 2hp w/ the maf calibrator. Ye have little faith in the 2.7's. The more people that get on board and the less people that come on this thread to shoot the idea down will get us a better price on a mod like this.

12. Feb 17, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    JEA86

JEA86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road

Just doing this man sorry to offend you

13. Feb 18, 2012 at 12:15 AM
    Underdog777

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    Hardly offended. You'll have to do better than that. I can only request that constructive input be posted. Many view their expenditures in different ways. I parted ways with the $$$ for a K&N hot stick and now feel that something better should be available for those not seeking boost and at the same time purchase a piece of hardware they can later integrate into a s/c kit if they change their mind or are biding time.

14. Feb 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    you said dont be shy so i wont.

personally I think it is a waste of time and money for 1 more company to come out with an intake for our 2.7, yes even though it is a TCAI...so is the factory one. If you look at most aftermarket intakes (i realize they are not cold air) they increase the tubing diameter to allow for more air flow...thats great! except who revs to 5.5k when they drive? its great and all but personally I dont think that there is anything to gain.

I took out my secondary and added a pro dry s. I hear about people making an intake and losing low end, also people running K&n and AFE mention that they feel improved throttle response but the low end feels at a loss (kind of opposing ideas but not really).

The only aftermarket intake that I see to have some promise is the Volant (besides all their issues). they have the RAM air scoop which helps create a pressure in the intake tract. Your only going to be able to allow so much air into the chamber as the pistons vacuum will allow without creating some sort of pressure in the intake tubing.

Mind you I am no engineer and these are all my opinions and whatnot. Posted freely, observations might be wrong so please correct any of my missunderstandings :)

Also to add: the MAF is great...once again for high end and open loop situations. In order to feel benefits your going to have to get into the gas. Ya 12whp from a Corolla sounds great...but at 5.5k, no thanks

15. Feb 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    Underdog777

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    That's good input. Similar input has been posted a billion times. I've made the decision to take this matter into my own hands and design something myself. I'm no engineer either which is why I'll employ my girlfriend who is and get some help to get this going. People doubted my Ford, and on little budget got it to run mid 13's. This will be a challenge I'll be more than happy to undertake because the 2TR and it's owner deserve it. When the computer design is done I'll make a new thread.

16. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I going to wait till I get my glass installed and try to make a collector from the fender well that will create a pressure zone in the factory air box. I also have been trying to find some plastic/composite tubing to replace the tubing after the stock box with either the same size or 1/4" or 1/2" smaller diameter due to my low rpm driving style

17. Feb 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    Underdog777

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    If URD gets on board and they see a demand is present then price will be dependent on that. The more people interested the more likely it is for URD to participate.

Since I don't like the sound of "if's" all I can say is when I am done with my own design, testing, re design, re testing and all the bull crap in between I won't be looking to charge an arm & a leg. The intakes will be produced as per demand from the people.

18. Feb 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    Underdog777

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    Now that I'm at my computer I can explain a little more clearly of my intentions. Everyone has a different driving style. I have no intention of making a "be all end all" intake to address one issue or another i.e full efficiency, take off power, up hill capability. It will take me a long time to figure out the correct combination of tube length/diameter, angles of bends (which is my major pet peeve of the stock box), tube composition, MAF relocation, weather proofing, and ease of installation. I won't get on here and say "I'm going to make an intake that is going to put 10 bhp". I will say that I am going to make an intake that is going to show a positive result.

edit: let the hate begin.

19. Feb 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    Underdog777

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thanks man :thumbsup: :thumbsup: