LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Starting Negotiations?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Starting Negotiations?

Hey guys I've finally decided on a new truck and am going to get a Reg Cab I4 4x4 manual. The sticker is 21845. Where should I start negotiations?

The truck is in chattanooga and I'm related to the salesman, not close just found out when I looked at it for the first time. I just was wanting to know how low to start with?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! What are all the features the Taco you are looking at has and is it a 2012?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
low ball the chit out of it and look on line for the ''best'' price tell them to match it
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
19thHole is on a distinguished road

19thHole's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed, after your done, please recount the experience and take some pics!

I say that because I will be making the leap here in the coming months.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Don't offer them anything. He who names the first price loses. Get quotes from other dealers internet sales managers on the exact same truck. Take the lowest price to your guy and see if he will beat it.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Talk out the door price with them, that includes all options, taxes, titles and anything else. You care only about the final cost, one number.

It is also a good idea to talk with your insurance company, so you do not have any surprises.

Arrange your own finacing at your bank or credit union first. They can probably give you advice on the average cost of that truck in your area as well.

Last, tell the dealer and salesmen that you WILL NOT accept stock Dunlop tires. Have them figure the price of upgraded tires in the deal. If you accept the Dunlops, you are going to be replacing them and paying twice for tires. Dunlops are trash and the dealer and Toyota know it.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Ive seen the tip of using internet salesmen. But just to clarify, i just write them and ask fir their best quote?

I learned the hard way about Dunlop tires. My wifes 4runner went from good tread to crap in about 3 weeks.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
consumer reports has a service for $11 bucks to get the bottom line price on new cars. i'd think about getting.

check out sites like nada.com for pricing and edmunds and kbb to see what others are paying.

get best quotes from dealers in the area and more or less use them against each other by having them match each other.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
kbb.com and truecar.com seem to have pretty good information.

One thing I've found is to go on the last day of the month. If they're needing just a few more vehicle sales to make quota, they'll take less to help them make their metric on their reports.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting Negotiations?-2012-toyota-tacoma-pricing-report.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #11

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 tacoma View Post
kbb.com and truecar.com seem to have pretty good information.

One thing I've found is to go on the last day of the month. If they're needing just a few more vehicle sales to make quota, they'll take less to help them make their metric on their reports.

So with those numbers in this picture... how low should I start? Im still confused.. The only new truck I bought was negotiated by my grandfather. Thanks in advance for all the help!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
You don't start, let them start, and don't let them try to sell you on a monthly payment... You should know before going in how much you can afford... If they start asking how much you want your monthly payment to be, they are going to stick it to you... Walk away... Trust me, I've bought & sold 50+ cars in my driving history... Talk final numbers including Tax, Tags, Title & Doc fee (Our toyota dealer is the only one I've seen with no doc fee...) Doc Fees can run up to $500, so make sure you are aware of it...

If you feel like you must give them a number, start at $17,000, if they come down $1,000, you go up $250, etc... Make them work to sell you the truck... They can always go lower...

Most car salesmen are paid commission in 3 tiers... Full sticker gets Tier 1 Commision, Invoice plus X% gets Tier 2, Invoice gets Tier 3 Commission... They are going to work hard NOT to settle for Tier 3...

FYI, when a dealer says he's selling you a car "below invoice", he's misleading you... Their "invoice" price is the cost of the car, plus overhead, factory incentives, etc... Even if they sell the car at "invoice", they are still making a LOT of profit.

PM me if you'd like more help...
Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
Ive seen the tip of using internet salesmen. But just to clarify, i just write them and ask fir their best quote?

I learned the hard way about Dunlop tires. My wifes 4runner went from good tread to crap in about 3 weeks.
Go the the website of several dealers in your area or in your state. Click on the internet sales office icon or get a quote section. Enter all the information you can about the exact truck you want from model to color to engine, etc. Tell them you are shopping all dealers in a xxx mile area and the lowest quote wins your business and that you are ready to buy now. Then take the lowest quote to the 2nd lowest and see if they will beat the price. Also don't tell them you are paying cash. Tell them you will probably finance through toyota because that way they may lower the price of the truck a little thinking they will recoup that money when they get you into the f & i office. When you get to the dealer to sign the paperwork plop the money down and say you will be paying in cash.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
you can get the invoice price of any new car or truck at www.edmunds.com. including options. it will even give you the average price of the same vehicle that others have purchased, they call it a "target price". i don't do anything without starting at edmunds. you can also read reviews, see all pictures of the various models, etc. it's a great starting point and will help you figure out where to be $ wise on your purchase or lease.

remember, don't start at the sticker price and work down. start at the invoice price and work up.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
whitetaco2012 is on a distinguished road
Name: ultracool
whitetaco2012's Tacoma Gallery
I was going to home depot and stopped to look, a few hours later left with the same truck almost (Standard cab I4 4x4 superwhite with auto trans). I paid 22.5k but they paid my car off and I had to put nothing down. During finance they tried to sell me the extras and I only fell for the GAP insurance for an additional 795$. I may call and cancel it. I really didn't want the insurance but they do a good job of making you think you need it.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #16

TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Well Ive started.. told a few dealerships the I'm buying from the lowest bidder line... Ive also found out my dads old lady is closely related to the sales manager. Going to my local dealership tomorrow. Ill keep you guys posted... Whats the consensus on Toyota Care.. buy or no?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
Flyinhigh is on a distinguished road
Flyinhigh's Tacoma Gallery
Drew go to canton ga Toyota my dad just got his reg cab 4x4 auto for 21,000 they also had a access cab 4x4 auto 2.7 for 23,875 or at least call them
Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
how long and how much is the standard warranty and also the extended warranty.

i'd prob pass it off the top of my head