1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bogging out when full throttle

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Noobatized, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Dec 6, 2008 at 10:28 PM
    Noobatized

Noobatized [OP] Member

Member:
    Inland Empire,CA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoman
    None
    I have a 97 2.4l tacoman.It boggs out when I give it full throttle and revs up fine when I throttle slow.Under a load it will bogg out really bad.I checked the plugs,wires,new rotor,fuel treatment,fuel filter,timing seems fine.Tonight I idled the truck for about 1hr and it only warmed up to 150(but I think the temp sensor is gone).No codes no CEL.Cat is clean and clear.I could smell raw fuel and sometimes rotton egg smell out the exhaust.Plugs are fine,cap is fine,wires are all fine.Im lost and dont know what to do.I really dont want to take it in to the shop,cant afford it.Tonight it threw some codes after idling after 1hr.Codes: Miss Fire in cylinder #2,3,4 and a MAF error.The truck sat for about 1 month without getting started.It boggs worse when its cold than when its warmed.I cant tell if its getting to much air or to much fuel.PLZ PLZ PLZ HELP!!!!!!!

2. Dec 6, 2008 at 10:30 PM
    HighPlains

HighPlains Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does it seem to backfire at all?

3. Dec 6, 2008 at 10:32 PM
    Noobatized

Noobatized [OP] Member

Member:
    Inland Empire,CA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoman
    None
    It kinda sounds like a back fire but it comes from onder the hood

4. Dec 6, 2008 at 10:39 PM
    HighPlains

Member:
    Under the hood is precisely where you would hear the backfire sound. There is no way for me to know for sure, but it sounds to me that perhaps you have an intake valve sticking. Of course, it could have something to do with the MAF sensor too.

5. Dec 6, 2008 at 10:42 PM
    Noobatized

Noobatized [OP] Member

Member:
    Inland Empire,CA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoman
    None
    If it was a valve sticking wouldnt there be alot of extra noise comming from the valve cover area?The MAF is clean it almost look new.I read a post about using seafoam.Is this a good idea?If it is a stuck valve can it be fixed without removing the head?

6. Dec 6, 2008 at 11:23 PM
    HighPlains

Member:
    What I have to say is based on my work with large industrial Caterpillar engines. When they do as you describe-idle fine but bog down and backfire under load-I look to the intake valves. I can't say that a small Toyota engine is nearly the same as one of those. If this is truly your problem, yes the heads have to come off. I would not expect to hear a bunch of noise from under the valve covers.

7. Dec 7, 2008 at 6:27 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Sounds like a fuel pump problem. Either the feed line is plugging up, or the pump is going out.

8. Dec 7, 2008 at 7:14 AM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07, Dodge Ram 35004x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6M
    Sounds to me like your catilac (sp) converter may be stopped up, or partially clogged. That accounts for the rotten egg smell, The misfires, and possibly the raw fuel.
    How may miles are on your truck?
    You should be able to take it by an exhaust shop and them be able to check the "flow" by removing your oxygen sensors, for free.

9. Dec 7, 2008 at 7:43 PM
    piratesvarsity22

piratesvarsity22 SickTacoFoSho

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma
    smoked taillights, thrush glasspack muffler, hollowed out cat. K&n intake,2 12' infinity subwoofers. sony xplod cd player
    i have a 1995 tacoma 2.4 liter. and its doing the same as urs. i hollowed out my cat and it helped alot. Most likely its a clog in ur cat, it might not throw that exact code either, or the oxgen sensor, its 1 of those for sure. Its nothing with your fuel pump or line. just check ur o2 sensors, or pulll the cat off and drill a hole in to see if it is clogged, let me know whats up with it

10. Dec 7, 2008 at 10:43 PM
    piratesvarsity22

piratesvarsity22 SickTacoFoSho

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma
    smoked taillights, thrush glasspack muffler, hollowed out cat. K&n intake,2 12' infinity subwoofers. sony xplod cd player
    doesnt matter where he lives in can still get inspected with a hole threw the cat. they dont take it off. all they do is make sure no codes are thrown and make sure its not cracked on the outside.. Thanks for tryin to make me look stupid tho and he said the problem was like it b4 just not as bad. and yes bad o2 and clogged cat will make it run rich too :D

11. Dec 7, 2008 at 11:26 PM
    darkturtleninja

darkturtleninja 9th level dungeon master

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    cold air intake, body lift, suspension lift.
    i have a 95 tacoma 4x4 3rz that is doing the same thing...... i dropped it off at toyota earlier tonite to have it looked at... im guessing it is the maf sensor.... im also having them hook it up to diagnostics under the hood... but ill let you know what it is and mabe it will help you

12. Dec 7, 2008 at 11:55 PM
    Noobatized

Noobatized [OP] Member

Member:
    Inland Empire,CA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoman
    None
    ok i figured i out. i took off the maf and cleaned off the resistor or what ever it is with a q-tip reinstalled it and it runs good now.there was a small amount of fine partical dust on each one.i didnt use any chemicals.tale your maf off and look at it close to see if this is how yours is.be careful.i priced one today at autozone and they told me $264 and some change.i could get a new one from my work for $125 with my discount.lighty swab the resistors. dont bend or break them free.let me know if this works for anyone else.

13. Dec 8, 2008 at 12:06 AM
    Noobatized

Noobatized [OP] Member

Member:
    Inland Empire,CA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoman
    None
    For the temp gauge prob im going to replace the temp sensor.i can get pretty cheap from my work.around $24.found a new prob with my knock sensor.the plug has completly broken off but hasnt thrown a code...yet.the fuel tank was empty when it sat for a month.i am going to replace the plugs with some nice iridium plugs and new thicker wires if i can find some 7 or 8mm wires.going to change the cap and add in a k&n filter.changing the oil,trans fluid and diff fluid(any recommendation on the gear oil i should use)?thanks for all the help any suggestion or tip is better than none at all.

14. Nov 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    bowup123

bowup123 New Member

Member:
    MAF sensor!! Mine did the exact same thing!!

Products Discussed in

To Top