Notices

Diesel???

Old 02-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
ArmyTacoGuy is on a distinguished road

Army: Bravo 3/116FA FLNG
Name: Jacob
ArmyTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Diesel???

Been contemplating trying a TDI diesel swap from a VW?? Anyone heard of this? If its been done? Or what it would take to mate to the truck?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyTacoGuy View Post
Been contemplating trying a TDI diesel swap from a VW?? Anyone heard of this? If its been done? Or what it would take to mate to the truck?
Do you have ANY idea whatsoever what it would take??? For starters...

1, custom engine mounts

2, custom bellhousing

3, VW engine harness

4, VW ECU

5, VW fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump

Those are only the MAJOR things... There will be gazillion small things you will need to get worked out. Good luck getting your stock tach, speedo, etc to work with the VW ECU.

Not worth it, if you don't have the skills to do it, you will be paying SHITLOAD in labor!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I'd say do it, if you have the extra cash laying around. Its already carb/smog legal, your just transplanting everything. What would be sick, is if you took the guages and transplanted them as well. I love the new Vee-dub guages.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
I'd say do it, if you have the extra cash laying around. Its already carb/smog legal, your just transplanting everything. What would be sick, is if you took the guages and transplanted them as well. I love the new Vee-dub guages.
Umm... Also forgot that the VW Jetta diesel is FWD and Taco is RWD. So Jetta's transmission wouldn't work. Thats where you would need custom bell housing to mate the diesel with Taco's transmission and the bell housing wouldn't come cheap.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
which is why I said if you have the spare cash laying around..Unless OP wants to make a FWD or AWD tacoma..Hmmmm
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Eh?
Dibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Dibblit's Tacoma Gallery
A 4BT would be a good swap. But any diesel swap is gona cost a good chunk of change. I say go for it, I have never seen a vw diesel in a tacoma yet.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
Ok id go with a 1pz from a bj70 as its all mechanical so its basically a one wire hook up. But if you want to do a vw acme adapters makes an adapter that works with older toyota trannys that bolt up to the vw engine, this may work with your tranny as the truck engines while not in the same series do share many similarities. And depending how new you want to go with the vw diesel you have to deal with all the wiring. Or you could put a toyota d4d diesel in it out of a hilux but again you have to deal with wiring but it should be fairly easy to adapt to a 4cyl truck as in some markets both the gasser and the diesel are offered
Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
http://dieseltoys.com/conversions/toyota
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
go with the v12 twin turbo tdi from the euro spec audi q7. nothing like 600 hp and 800fl/lbs torque and 35 mpg all together...if i ever do a ground up build, that'll be top of the list for powerplants. all in a perfect dream world though
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Dhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
Dhawk1313's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtragweed View Post

If you have the money, this website looks sick
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
ArmyTacoGuy is on a distinguished road

Army: Bravo 3/116FA FLNG
Name: Jacob
ArmyTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I checked out that website! Thanks y'all givin me a better understanding, I've decided gona get a 4BT modify the rest as it goes, I'm a tow truck driver for a full service auto shop, so I'll just be taking the tow truck home probably gona try to do this in the next few weeks when I get off active duty, my mechanic there is gona to be helping me with most of the stuff he seems to just think its gone be money time an TLC and it should run great he did it in a ford ranger bout a year ago with the 4BT Motor.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I can't wait to see this! Good luck, take LOTS of pictures and document it well!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It will bolt right in.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
JoshM is on a distinguished road
JoshM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibblit View Post
A 4BT would be a good swap. But any diesel swap is gona cost a good chunk of change. I say go for it, I have never seen a vw diesel in a tacoma yet.
That'd probably be the "easiest" and "cheapest". Quoted because, well, it's not actually going to be cheap or easy at all.

A guy here at work has a 4BT in his S10. He probably has 10k into the motor/trans and everything to make it work.

The good thing about 4BTs is that it's all mechanical... so that's pretty much the only part that makes it easy.