Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Spun my Truck yesterday

Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
Spun my Truck yesterday

Yesterday it rained here, and I had a pretty scary experience... around 11pm I was driving back to my dorm from my friends house...The roads were pretty wet but I'm pretty cautious about that. as I was coming up to a right turn i had to make i didn't slow down to a crawl, I did what i usually do, just turn by not stopping (i had the green right arrow, so i wasn't running a light lol) as i made that turn I pushed my gas just a little bit too hard and got the back tire spinning... Surprised i tried to correct for the spinning and overcorrected and ended up facing north on the southbound side of the road... Luckily it was late enough to where there was no traffic... Scared the living crap outta me... thank god no one was coming or no one was behind me, because it would have been a sure accident...

I just wanted to post my experience to make sure that everyone remembers to be extra careful when driving in rain or on wet roads... I have a 4 cyl, and it was able to spin the tires on the wet road no problem... So please be careful guys, I hate to see the threads about accidents, and totaling trucks here.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
It's like spinning on a barstool.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
You should do it more often in a controlled situation so you know how to react / counter steer for the next time .
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
You should do it more often in a controlled situation so you know hot to react / counter steer for the next time .
I have no where to do it around here really, if i could i would.... better to know then have it happen and get hit hard
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Yup.

Fishtailed my Suburban getting on the freeway, same way. Little too much gas too soon on a wet road coming out of a curved ramp.

Taco's got no weight over the ass end and it'll whip around and become the front end WAY too easy.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
throw some ballast in the back over the axle, always try to run a full tank, check ur tires for wear, check the pressures, watch out for that 1st rain, it gets all the nasty shit onto the surface.
yeah thats true, i know it wasn't my tires though, less then year old goodyears... but the roads here are pretty dirty, so i think the wet surface along with the gunk, made it really slick
Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
about had something smilier happen last summer. but instead of doing a 180? i just drifted. their was other people on the road be hind me 2 lane road and other people on the other side going other way. i got some thumbs up from some people. lol
Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
about had something smilier happen last summer. but instead of doing a 180? i just drifted. their was other people on the road be hind me 2 lane road and other people on the other side going other way. i got some thumbs up from some people. lol
LOL now that would have been funny to see
Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathunder View Post
LOL now that would have been funny to see
my friend was behind me in his fj and said at first it scared the crap out of him he thought i was done for. but than he said he was LHAO. lol
Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I've spun once.

I was 18 and had a pretty severe case of the flu, so I was feeling like dogshit. I was scheduled to take my SAT at 8am, and if you miss it you can't get a refund or move the date back. I was already long out of my parents house and living on my own, so I couldn't possibly let the $45 I paid to take the test go to waste. I woke at 745, my cell phone alarm failed to go off, and hauled ass to get there without showering or coffee. I was making a left turn going about 5-10mph in the rain and started accelerating a bit too quickly while completing the turn and spun. Luckily nobody else was on the road, but it scared the hell out of me.

As a result now if I'm turning on wet pavement or in the rain I'll wait until I'm straightened out before even attempting to accelerate.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
my friend was behind me in his fj and said at first it scared the crap out of him he thought i was done for. but than he said he was LHAO. lol
You're probably lucky you weren't done for lol
Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
I've spun once.

I was 18 and had a pretty severe case of the flu, so I was feeling like dogshit. I was scheduled to take my SAT at 8am, and if you miss it you can't get a refund or move the date back. I was already long out of my parents house and living on my own, so I couldn't possibly let the $45 I paid to take the test go to waste. I woke at 745, my cell phone alarm failed to go off, and hauled ass to get there without showering or coffee. I was making a left turn going about 5-10mph in the rain and started accelerating a bit too quickly while completing the turn and spun. Luckily nobody else was on the road, but it scared the hell out of me.

As a result now if I'm turning on wet pavement or in the rain I'll wait until I'm straightened out before even attempting to accelerate.
yeah its scary stuff, not fun when it happens to you
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
With snow tires on, I once spun on dry pavement while accelerating out of a right turn at an intersection. Then VSC kicked in.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
With snow tires on, I once spun on dry pavement while accelerating out of a right turn at an intersection. Then VSC kicked in.
wow, you must have punched it then?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Though the snow tires have less dry traction than the stock Rugged Trails.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
almost everyone has done it, glad you're ok and nothing got smashed.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathunder View Post
You're probably lucky you weren't done for lol
yeah i am. and a good thing i had drifted my truck on a rainy day a few weeks before so i new how it handled. if i did not i either would have smashed the front end up in a ditch or got hit by someone.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #18
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I find it pretty difficult to get the back end to slide out with an open diff. I usually just spin the inside tire.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I find it pretty difficult to get the back end to slide out with an open diff. I usually just spin the inside tire.
gice it more gas. and turn the wheel. it should come around.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gice it more gas. and turn the wheel. it should come around.
you mostly need momentum to get it to slide out.

Im just saying I don't see how you could do this on accident. You really have to be flying and/or hydroplaning.