Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

New Taco owner...Can't believe my MPGs w/offroading

Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
adrstout is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
adrstout's Tacoma Gallery
Talking New Taco owner...Can't believe my MPGs w/offroading

So I just burnt up a little over a half a tank of gas today driving around to various semi-abandoned (though not closed) county roads, mostly old logging paths, and old forest service trails that I know about. It had been 5 days since buying my 2012 Taco and I just couldn't wait any longer to test out the 4 wheel drive I was down to 1/4 of a tank at the end of the morning and filled back up. So 1/4 of the tank was normal driving (a good split of highway and city) and the other 1/2 was rinky dink roads and off roading. I still averaged 20.8 MPG! Normal driving in my old Durango (no offroading) with the 4.7 was between 13.8 and 15.2 MPG. I am sooo impressed. My SR5 on stock tires was even more of a beast than I expected. Really happy with this truck!

I am going to post a thread in the offroading section but here's a few pics for this thread.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
JoshM is on a distinguished road
JoshM's Tacoma Gallery
Nice numbers! I was pleasantly surprised on my first fill up as well, though my Tacoma is MUCH older lol.
My wife and I went camping and she even learned how to drive stick. Over the weekend I still got 18mpg, and 80% of the time the front wheels were engaged.

BTW, that's a GREAT looking truck. I didn't realize they changed the front end for the '12s. Now they just need a more aggressive back end to match up with the front!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I have a boner for Spruce Mica, just sayin. . . Welcome to TW

Nice truck! Wish i got 20's with my 12
Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
never got anything less than 20 in mine....have had the truck since new for a year...my best was 25....(reg. cab 4x4, manual)
Old 03-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
adrstout is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
adrstout's Tacoma Gallery
I've barely got 600 miles on the odometer so I think it will be 1-3 MPG higher when everything loosens up a little more and with normal driving. The first fill up after buying it, about 1/2 tank, the avg was about 21.4mpg.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Adjunct Anarchist
Papa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Radio Operator
Name: Papa Tac
Papa Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for a feel good thread!
Welcome, and nice post, and I'm groovin' on the green...
Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you're happy with the truck. I love that color!

I always get good MPG off-road, since I'm not going as fast as on-road. Haha.