Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

WHEEL SENSORS

Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
2012TacomaYNWA is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
2012TacomaYNWA's Tacoma Gallery
WHEEL SENSORS

Been looking to change my stock 2012 reg cab tacos wheels to some aftermarket ones. I found the wheels at a reasonable price but my tire place is telling me i have to change the sensors as well. I contacted the Toyota dealership and they told me 125 bucks per sensor!! I was wondering if anyone knows where i could get these for cheaper online...
Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
FL Forester has much to be proud ofFL Forester has much to be proud ofFL Forester has much to be proud ofFL Forester has much to be proud ofFL Forester has much to be proud ofFL Forester has much to be proud ofFL Forester has much to be proud ofFL Forester has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
FL Forester's Tacoma Gallery
The TPMS units from the steel wheels are at a different angle than the ones needed for alloy wheels. If you can use these: http://www.tpmssource.com/strapkit.aspx to get around having to buy new sensors and pay to have them programed to your truck OR you can build one of these: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...-pipebomb.html
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
do you have aliminum or steel wheels on the truck now?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
billv408 is on a distinguished road
Name: bill
billv408's Tacoma Gallery
i just got new alloy wheels at 4wheel parts and they moved the sensors over from the stock steel wheels. installer said it's easy.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
2012TacomaYNWA is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
2012TacomaYNWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney View Post
do you have aliminum or steel wheels on the truck now?
i believe they are aluminum
Old 03-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012TacomaYNWA View Post
i believe they are aluminum
if you have alum wheels now, and are putting alum wheels on the truck, you will be ok. simple remove and replace the sensors.

i replaced my oem steel wheels with alum wheels, and the sensors id not fit. oem sensors from steel wheels have 40 degree heads, whereas oem sensors from alloy wheels have 20 degree heads.

so, i made a pressure vessel. problem solved.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just recently put new wheels on my 2011 and did not have to get new sensors. They just unscrew them and put them on the new wheels, should be no extra charge.

But I'm sure what the others are saying about going from steel wheels to alloy is true..
Old 03-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Do or Do not there is no try.
Toyoda Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Toyoda Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just another sale gimmick to buy new sensors when not needed.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
graduate is on a distinguished road
graduate's Tacoma Gallery
Take the ones out of your existing rims and put them all in the spare. Pressure them up and problem solved. Put regular valve stems in new rim.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
billv408 is on a distinguished road
Name: bill
billv408's Tacoma Gallery
the installer at 4wheel parts took my sensors from the stock 16 inch steel wheels and put them in my new 17 inch alloy wheels. he said they do it all the time no need to buy new sensors and spend more $$$ getting them initialized by dealer.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
PR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nicePR45 is just really nice
PR45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by billv408 View Post
the installer at 4wheel parts took my sensors from the stock 16 inch steel wheels and put them in my new 17 inch alloy wheels. he said they do it all the time no need to buy new sensors and spend more $$$ getting them initialized by dealer.
I used the sensors from the steel wheels in the TRD 17" alloy wheels. I turned them 180 degrees. Of course, if I do have a flat, they will be broken.

And, they have to be dropped into the tire to remove the tire. To mount the tire, I dropped them into the tire with a wire through the hole. I seated the beads with a blowgun on the air line. Then, pulled them up with the wire and the airpressure helped hold them while I fumbled with the nut. Working fine for a year+.