Notices

First Brake Job Advice?

Old 03-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
joshhemming is on a distinguished road
Army: Air Defense CWO
Name: Josh
joshhemming's Tacoma Gallery
First Brake Job Advice?

My 2003 2wd Extended Cab 2.4L only has 57K but I'm starting to hear a rubbing/hissing/scratching noise sometimes when I apply the brakes. I recently replaced the disk pads, rotors and bearings on an old Ford Aerostar myself so I have a general idea how SOME of the disk brake setups are. I'm planning on repacking the wheel bearings and having the rotors turned when I change the disk pads on my Tacoma. My question:

Does my Tacoma have the same, Ford-type setup for the front wheel bearings (dust/grease cap, cotter pin, castle nut, spindle nut, washer, outer bearing, inner bearing, inner grease seal) or is it one of the newer self-contained bearings that doesn't require repacking?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Same
Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I would consider it cheap insurance to replace the bearing while I had everything apart. However if they don't show signs of wear, scratching, pitting, gouges, or a weird sound from them like there may be sand or something in them then they should be fine to put back in repacked of course. A factory service manual is worth its weight in gold when it comes to stuff you're unsure of you can buy one for around $20-$30, I prefer Haynes manuals, but you can access on free here. As far as the noises it may just be some dirt or built up brake dust that you hear rubbing around, hit it with some brake parts cleaner and a nice wipe down and that may save you the headache of going through the brakes and pulling everything apart.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
Name: Tyler
Tylerm5000's Tacoma Gallery
I wasn't able to repack mine. The two halves don't seem to separate. You will need to replace the entire bearing. There is a special tool to take the nut off. And it needs to be torqued to spec. Under the inner wheel seal is the retaining clip that must come out for the bearing to press out of the spindle so that the hub can be pressed out of the bearing.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
joshhemming is on a distinguished road
Army: Air Defense CWO
Name: Josh
joshhemming's Tacoma Gallery
I think your's has a different setup than mine, since yours is a Generation 2 and mine a Gen 1. Plus, don't 4x4s have different brakes than 2wd?

Anyway, I downloaded a diagram of the hub, rotor and bearings for my 2003 from the excellent source Warhorseforever provided and it looks almost identical to the ones on my AeroStar. The bearings on that one slipped right out. Only difference is the Aerostar's hub and rotor are one assembly, whereas the Tacoma's rotor is separate from the hub assembly.