1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

auto lsd to use or not to use?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 2012TacoToy, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    2012TacoToy

2012TacoToy [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 2.7l 4x4
    3in lift
    okay so iv been reading up on this and im still confused could some one clear me up on this my 2012 taco 4x4 base truck has a lsd button when i press it auto lsd off comes up on the dash how do i want to run my truck all the time its my DD and i do like to play in the mud sometimes im just confused on the whole auto lsd thing how does it work and how should i keep my truck on or off any help would be greatly appreciated thanks much

flex12 likes this.
  2. Mar 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
  3. Mar 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    VSC (vehicle stability control) is for daily driving. It's a high speed system, and is on by default. The autoLSD is best used at low speed. Both pulse individual brakes to to assist in traction control. But VSC also reduces engine power when needed (remember it's all about getting you back under control in the event of traction loss). The autoLSD does not reduce engine power, which can be better in offroad situations where maximum power is desired. Both systems are off in 4lo (which why I wish Toyota would go back to a mechanical LSD).

4. Mar 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
  5. Mar 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    VSC and TRAC are two different functions.

VSC is to keep you driving where you want to go in the event of a sudden steering change that would otherwise make you spin out of control.

TRAC is traction control/ Limited Slip to get you moving from a stop. In 2WD it has engine output regulation, but in 4WD-HI it does not regulate the engine. 4WD TRAC is very effective off road and greatly improves the traction of the Tacoma.

AUTO LSD is for 2WD, and is TRACtion control but without engine regulation. It is stronger than TRAC for stuck situations.

In 4WD LOW, for slow crawling, there is no VSC or traction control EXCEPT for OFF ROAD TRD Tacomas, which have A-TRAC (Active Traction Control).

Non Off Road 4WD Tacomas can do the 4 low trac mod to make TRAC work in Low Range.

6. Mar 14, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    It is confusing and the owners manual is of little help!

AUTO LSD is more for 2WD Tacomas that get stuck in snow or mud, as it forces some power away from the spinning tire to the traction tire, withoutt regulating engine output. You have 4WD, so just turning on 4WD will be so much more useful to get moving from a stuck.

This chart explains how to go from TRAC to AUTO LSD or VSC OFF (open differentials without traction control):

MODES_of_operation-1_b471e7cd2ee5ff8792509afba2a54dbad1d513c2.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top