Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

auto lsd to use or not to use?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
2012TacoToy is on a distinguished road
2012TacoToy's Tacoma Gallery
auto lsd to use or not to use?

okay so iv been reading up on this and im still confused could some one clear me up on this my 2012 taco 4x4 base truck has a lsd button when i press it auto lsd off comes up on the dash how do i want to run my truck all the time its my DD and i do like to play in the mud sometimes im just confused on the whole auto lsd thing how does it work and how should i keep my truck on or off any help would be greatly appreciated thanks much
Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...nd-i-hope.html

I'm sure DavidK will assist you...he's like the guru on the traction control in these trucks...
Old 03-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
VSC (vehicle stability control) is for daily driving. It's a high speed system, and is on by default. The autoLSD is best used at low speed. Both pulse individual brakes to to assist in traction control. But VSC also reduces engine power when needed (remember it's all about getting you back under control in the event of traction loss). The autoLSD does not reduce engine power, which can be better in offroad situations where maximum power is desired. Both systems are off in 4lo (which why I wish Toyota would go back to a mechanical LSD).
Old 03-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
IBDK.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
VSC (vehicle stability control) is for daily driving. It's a high speed system, and is on by default. The autoLSD is best used at low speed. Both pulse individual brakes to to assist in traction control. But VSC also reduces engine power when needed (remember it's all about getting you back under control in the event of traction loss). The autoLSD does not reduce engine power, which can be better in offroad situations where maximum power is desired. Both systems are off in 4lo (which why I wish Toyota would go back to a mechanical LSD).
VSC and TRAC are two different functions.

VSC is to keep you driving where you want to go in the event of a sudden steering change that would otherwise make you spin out of control.

TRAC is traction control/ Limited Slip to get you moving from a stop. In 2WD it has engine output regulation, but in 4WD-HI it does not regulate the engine. 4WD TRAC is very effective off road and greatly improves the traction of the Tacoma.

AUTO LSD is for 2WD, and is TRACtion control but without engine regulation. It is stronger than TRAC for stuck situations.

In 4WD LOW, for slow crawling, there is no VSC or traction control EXCEPT for OFF ROAD TRD Tacomas, which have A-TRAC (Active Traction Control).

Non Off Road 4WD Tacomas can do the 4 low trac mod to make TRAC work in Low Range.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012TacoToy View Post
okay so iv been reading up on this and im still confused could some one clear me up on this my 2012 taco 4x4 base truck has a lsd button when i press it auto lsd off comes up on the dash how do i want to run my truck all the time its my DD and i do like to play in the mud sometimes im just confused on the whole auto lsd thing how does it work and how should i keep my truck on or off any help would be greatly appreciated thanks much
It is confusing and the owners manual is of little help!

AUTO LSD is more for 2WD Tacomas that get stuck in snow or mud, as it forces some power away from the spinning tire to the traction tire, withoutt regulating engine output. You have 4WD, so just turning on 4WD will be so much more useful to get moving from a stuck.

This chart explains how to go from TRAC to AUTO LSD or VSC OFF (open differentials without traction control):

Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
the way i do it is for daily street driving - just let everything be as normal, leave the lsd alone so traction control kicks in quicker. if i'm on a dirt road and want to have a bit of fun i turn of the traction control and on with the lsd, traction control still kicks in just not as quickly. anytime i'm on a trail that really requires 4x4 i use 4low to avoid riding the clutch and bouncing around . winter time i use 4high when it's snowy and sometimes on dirt roads that are slick... that's my 2 cents
The main difference is that TRAC(normal mode) controls throttle and uses the brakes to send power to the tire with traction. ALSD doesn't control throttle.

Check this out OP: http://www.majormedia2.com/4WDSimplifiedv5/4WD.html