Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Valve Cover Bolts..

Old 12-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Ry1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Machinery Technician
Ry1984's Tacoma Gallery
Valve Cover Bolts..

So I decided to change out my valve cover gasket today since there was some oil build up around it. When it came down to putting back the valve cover I ran into a problem. For some damn reason 2!! torque wrenches would not "click" at 15lbs. And SNAP! busted the head off one. I should of known, 15 lbs is dang near hand tight. I don't know what I was thinking.. Anyway, my question is... I tried it again, and once again she wouldn't click so I said screw it and used German torque specs.. I just snugged them up considering its a rubber gasket. You guys think I'll be ok?
Old 12-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
It should be for the short term however find a torque wrench that works (rent one whatever) and do them right. You need to revisit valve covers after about a week of replacing them anyway. If you want the answer you can sleep with though I would PM Chris4X4.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
It should be for the short term however find a torque wrench that works (rent one whatever) and do them right. You need to revisit valve covers after about a week of replacing them anyway. If you want the answer you can sleep with though I would PM Chris4X4.
No need for a PM. Jason gave a great answer!
Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Ry1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Machinery Technician
Ry1984's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks once again guys! Its amazing how much trust you put in complete strangers! Thats what I love about this site. You guys just relieved so much stress. I feel like Im becoming part of the fam!
Old 12-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Thanks Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry1984 View Post
Thanks once again guys! Its amazing how much trust you put in complete strangers! Thats what I love about this site. You guys just relieved so much stress. I feel like Im becoming part of the fam!
The thing to remember here man is that all of us are just as much into our trucks as you are and try to give the best advise we can. Now with that, keep in mind to use the common sense rule. You will learn guys you can trust and others well they try. Overall we use the WWCD (What Would Chris Do) rule around here, seems to keep us honest. As far as being part of the family, you seem to fit right in.