Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Just might be getting a Tacoma...again

Old 03-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I can't say, but I was always taught that manuals got better mpg's. But from what I've seen the auto's get better in the Taco's. Was I taught wrong or have vehicle's changed so much since to cause this?
2 things: I think technology has changed to where the autos are more efficient than they used to be. Also, autos used to be 3 speed in general in the old days, so the top gear was not as high as the manual's 4th or 5th gear. Now autos are also 5 speeds so the top end ratio is close to a manual's.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post

I'm telling ya this thing is so bulky. I am not complaining too much though. It has so much interior room. ... I hate losing all this space but I'm so damn tired of 13.8 mpg. The only time I use this truck for a "truck" is hauling that Rzr. I'd say with my gear and all it's about 2500lbs. Way below the towing capacity of a 2.7L.
You mentioned you are looking at an extended cab. Why not get a double cab if you want more space? It seems like the shorter bed will not be a problem for you, but you like the interior space.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
2 things: I think technology has changed to where the autos are more efficient than they used to be. Also, autos used to be 3 speed in general in the old days, so the top gear was not as high as the manual's 4th or 5th gear. Now autos are also 5 speeds so the top end ratio is close to a manual's.
the 4 cylinders only have a 4 speed auto, i was thinking with one less gear the 5 speed manual would maybe get better mpg's. but i haven't really researched it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
You mentioned you are looking at an extended cab. Why not get a double cab if you want more space? It seems like the shorter bed will not be a problem for you, but you like the interior space.
i'd like to stay with a 4cyl. i am not too upset about losing the space, i mean yeah i like the space i have but it's not a deal breaker to lose some of it. at least i am not the first pick to drive with the guys now lol.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
mungeremt is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: USMC '93-'99, 4th Bat, AMTRACKS
Name: Mike
mungeremt's Tacoma Gallery
4 cyl Double Cab

You do have the option of a 4 cyl double cab. I just bought a 2012 with an auto , only transmission option with 4 cyl dc, and it is great. I have noticed it shifts at a lot lower RPM then other vehicles I have had. This may contribute to the good milage. Still early to tell but I'm getting 20-21 in mixed driving.

Mike
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungeremt View Post
You do have the option of a 4 cyl double cab. I just bought a 2012 with an auto , only transmission option with 4 cyl dc, and it is great. I have noticed it shifts at a lot lower RPM then other vehicles I have had. This may contribute to the good milage. Still early to tell but I'm getting 20-21 in mixed driving.

Mike
i had no idea! i had tried building one on toyota's website and it acted like every time i changed to double cab it wanted to change to a 4.0 but on another note i did look at some regular cab 5 speeds and i was actually surprised and how much i liked em lol
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i had no idea! i had tried building one on toyota's website and it acted like every time i changed to double cab it wanted to change to a 4.0 but on another note i did look at some regular cab 5 speeds and i was actually surprised and how much i liked em lol
You can enter different zip codes from diferent parts of the country into the builder on Toyota's site & get totally different choices. If you're in WV though, you have a bit of altitude and a whole lot of hills guys on the Gulf Coast don't contend with. To that end, I would think you'd be really disappointed with a 4-cyl double cab auto 4x4 .. which may be why Toyota doesn't give you the option. That doesn't mean a dealer can't get it for you from another part of the country (if you're willing to pay). But I don't think you'd like it. If you want auto, go with the V6 and you'll still get 18-19mpg.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
You can enter different zip codes from diferent parts of the country into the builder on Toyota's site & get totally different choices. If you're in WV though, you have a bit of altitude and a whole lot of hills guys on the Gulf Coast don't contend with. To that end, I would think you'd be really disappointed with a 4-cyl double cab auto 4x4 .. which may be why Toyota doesn't give you the option. That doesn't mean a dealer can't get it for you from another part of the country (if you're willing to pay). But I don't think you'd like it. If you want auto, go with the V6 and you'll still get 18-19mpg.
yeah we definitely take a hit in mpg/power over here in the moutains. i have to agree, if i was going to go with a double cab, i'd get the v6. mine got between 17-17.5 mpg. losing all that space is more of an inconvenience for others thinking they can ride with me, not so much of an inconvenience for me lol. i'm telling ya, i really like the regular cap 5 speeds for some reason. going to go drive some tomorrow. they have some used ones for 19.5k with like 12k miles on em. but i can get a brand new one for 21.5k not sure if that is worth the difference in money.

i am pretty much set on getting one. just need to search around and make sure i can pull my Rzr and 6x12 trailer without too much of an issue. think i should be good though.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #28
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
It seems to be the consensus here that the gas mileage difference between the 4 banger and the 6 is minimal, yet the most I have noticed anyone mention for the V6s is about 22 mpg. Driving habits have a lot to do with it, but my access cab 4wd 2.7 with manual consistently get better than 26mpg. 28 on the last tank, in mountain and city driving combined. If you aren't in a hurry the 4 banger will serve your purposes.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #29
jrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the rough

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Jason
jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
If you can keep the wheels and tires stock then definelty get an access cab 4cyl 4wd FTW....

If not then consider a v6/auto combo..

Whatever you do stay away from the 6 speed manuals there is nothing good about them IMO, horrible gear ratios, horrible throttle lag bc of engine tuning and crappy mileage compared to the auto. I would still have my tacoma if I had got an auto rather than the 6 speed manual in the last tacoma I had...
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
It seems to be the consensus here that the gas mileage difference between the 4 banger and the 6 is minimal, yet the most I have noticed anyone mention for the V6s is about 22 mpg. Driving habits have a lot to do with it, but my access cab 4wd 2.7 with manual consistently get better than 26mpg. 28 on the last tank, in mountain and city driving combined. If you aren't in a hurry the 4 banger will serve your purposes.
for what i do with my truck, i am never in a hurry. plus the only time i'll use it as a truck is locking it into 4wd in the snow or pulling the Rzr. which like i said i think the 2.7 will pull it, but not in a hurry.
i loved my 4.0 but these 4cyl are legendary. i am all about the miles you can put on em and the mpgs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrws6 View Post
If you can keep the wheels and tires stock then definelty get an access cab 4cyl 4wd FTW....

If not then consider a v6/auto combo..

Whatever you do stay away from the 6 speed manuals there is nothing good about them IMO, horrible gear ratios, horrible throttle lag bc of engine tuning and crappy mileage compared to the auto. I would still have my tacoma if I had got an auto rather than the 6 speed manual in the last tacoma I had...
i'll be keeping stock wheels and tire size or staying around that. would love to put some A/Ts on em. i haven't heard much about the 6 speeds in the 4.0s but thanks for the heads up.

btw, not to jack my own thread here, but noticed your trans am in your avatar. is it yours? i have one myself!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #31
jrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the rough

jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
I ran 17" 265/70/17 motto terra grapplers and it hurt my power and mileage in my 4cyl access cab 4x4.

No that is not my trans am, it is a stock photo from an advertising ad from back in the day lol.
mine is just like it tho but with ttops. I bought it used, 1996 ram air trans am with 45k miles on it. 6 speed car. Still got it mostly stock only k&n and flowmaster. But with 53k now lol.
Pics of it are in my gallery ;-)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #32

Quote:
I ran 17" 265/70/17 motto terra grapplers and it hurt my power and mileage in my 4cyl access cab 4x4.

No that is not my trans am, it is a stock photo from an advertising ad from back in the day lol.
mine is just like it tho but with ttops. I bought it used, 1996 ram air trans am with 45k miles on it. 6 speed car. Still got it mostly stock only k&n and flowmaster. But with 53k now lol.
Pics of it are in my gallery ;-)
shew, i bet that killed your mileage. i have done been down the "mod" road with my old DC. don't plan on doing too much. i would like some bfg a/t but they don't come in stock tire size, so i might go up a little bit in size but not too much.

that is pretty nice yours is still in such good shape with low miles. i have a 2000 ls1 but i put a ws6 hood on it. i am currently building up a 6L out of an 03 silverado with an ls3 top end. torquer cam and all that. but that will take another year or two. just got my t56 rebuilt and bolted up. long tube headers and an off road y pipe. i love it so much!

this is before my hood went on
Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #33

jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
shew, i bet that killed your mileage. i have done been down the "mod" road with my old DC. don't plan on doing too much. i would like some bfg a/t but they don't come in stock tire size, so i might go up a little bit in size but not too much.

that is pretty nice yours is still in such good shape with low miles. i have a 2000 ls1 but i put a ws6 hood on it. i am currently building up a 6L out of an 03 silverado with an ls3 top end. torquer cam and all that. but that will take another year or two. just got my t56 rebuilt and bolted up. long tube headers and an off road y pipe. i love it so much!

Sweet! Looks awesome. I love those ls1 cars. They run better than the Ltd's lol. Those 6.0 build up nicely from what I have read. Keep us updated ;-)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Sweet! Looks awesome. I love those ls1 cars. They run better than the Ltd's lol. Those 6.0 build up nicely from what I have read. Keep us updated ;-)
thanks! those 6.0s maybe a little heavier (iron block vs aluminum) but you get so much torque and some power outta them it more than makes up for the added weight of the block. this car is pretty quick now, can't wait to see how quick itll be after the 6.0 is in it.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #35
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Nice I had a silver ws6 same year . Wish I would have kept my convertible '97 z28 I traded it for though .
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #36
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
My old Z . =(

Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
My old Z . =(

Good looking Z! i love the ls1 model camaros/trans ams. they look so good.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #38
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
If that's the case for you, that's extremely rare. The EPA estimates for the 4-cyl 4x4s is 18/21 and the vast majority guys I know with the 4-cyls 4x4s report 22-24 hwy, and usually 20-22 mixed. Now the 2wds 5-lugs can do 28mpg.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #39
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good looking Z! i love the ls1 model camaros/trans ams. they look so good.
Thanks ! That one had the lt1 topped out at 155 a few times but when the new trans am came out with the ls1 I traded it in .
Old 03-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #40
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
If that's the case for you, that's extremely rare. The EPA estimates for the 4-cyl 4x4s is 18/21 and the vast majority guys I know with the 4-cyls 4x4s report 22-24 hwy, and usually 20-22 mixed. Now the 2wds 5-lugs can do 28mpg.
The previous owner gave me the original window sticker for mine (09 model). The EPA numbers are 17 and 22, with "expected range for most drivers" of 18 to 26 mpg. I wonder about the way the EPA numbers are derived. Maybe it is the light traffic where I drive, but I have always been able to beat the EPA numbers.