Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Just might be getting a Tacoma...again

Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #41
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
ok guys so i've spent the past couple weeks researching a lot and looking at some trucks on the lots. here is what i have narrowed it down to...

definitely going with the base model access cab. i would still like to go with the 2.7 however i am still curious as to how it would handle towing ~2100-2200lbs locally about once a week or so. also, if i do choose the 2.7, do i go with the 5 spd manual or the 4 spd auto? the 4.0 has come into consideration but i am still trying to maximize mpg while maintaining a truck that can pull my Rzr + 6x12 trailer.

to mix things up, my granpa can get me a helluva deal on any GM vehicle with his retiree discount. I've been looking at the 3.7 colorados. they of course tow more, but their overall mpg seems to be about that of a 4.0 so i am still in the air about that.

any input from y'all on what my finall cut has been?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #42
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Access cabs are perfect, only time you need a double cab is to haul people, and I never do any of that, I like having the extra room behind the seat to store valuables and keep them locked. The 2.7 does fine with towing too, I just got done towing 2580lbs to Nevada and back over spring break with no complaints. Given you wont be going very fast and will rarely be in 5th gear, but you don't need to haul ass when towing anyway for that matter!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #43
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
ok guys so i've spent the past couple weeks researching a lot and looking at some trucks on the lots. here is what i have narrowed it down to...

definitely going with the base model access cab. i would still like to go with the 2.7 however i am still curious as to how it would handle towing ~2100-2200lbs locally about once a week or so. also, if i do choose the 2.7, do i go with the 5 spd manual or the 4 spd auto? the 4.0 has come into consideration but i am still trying to maximize mpg while maintaining a truck that can pull my Rzr + 6x12 trailer.

to mix things up, my granpa can get me a helluva deal on any GM vehicle with his retiree discount. I've been looking at the 3.7 colorados. they of course tow more, but their overall mpg seems to be about that of a 4.0 so i am still in the air about that.

any input from y'all on what my finall cut has been?
Get the manual for towing, and stay away from Colorados, will save lots of money in the long run getting a Tacoma! Mine had no trouble towing 2580lbs, getting heavier springs in the back really helps too for tongue weight.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #44
taco tuesday
squashroll is on a distinguished road

squashroll's Tacoma Gallery
No one has mentioned engine braking, an advantage of the manual. It will help on the down hill to slow some without frying the brakes, especially long grades. Automatics are getting better but sticks still edge them out in mileage, especially in town. The one time an auto may be better is when the final drive is taller than its manual counter part; this would result in better highway mileage. If the Tacoma had a 6 or 7 speed auto to help maximize the weaker 2.7 4 then it would be a tougher decision. But a 4 speed?
something else to consider is whether you busy yourself with other tasks while driving. Its quite difficult to juggle the radio, cell phone, cheeseburger, big gulp and stick-- exacerbating this is that you can't maintain directional controll with the top of your knee on the wheel when working the clutch--
Off road creepin is much easier with an auto...
Oh, and referencing your mention of the regular cab: you'll be able to maneuver in parking lots and maybe even make some u-turns.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #45
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Access cabs are perfect, only time you need a double cab is to haul people, and I never do any of that, I like having the extra room behind the seat to store valuables and keep them locked. The 2.7 does fine with towing too, I just got done towing 2580lbs to Nevada and back over spring break with no complaints. Given you wont be going very fast and will rarely be in 5th gear, but you don't need to haul ass when towing anyway for that matter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Get the manual for towing, and stay away from Colorados, will save lots of money in the long run getting a Tacoma! Mine had no trouble towing 2580lbs, getting heavier springs in the back really helps too for tongue weight.
access cab is my first pick. i really like the regular cab but i know i'll regret it once i own it. i am thinking the 2.7L would do fine towing, i don't tow any steep grades or anything like on the the Turnpike. just moderate hills around the rural part of Charleston. i am in no hurry to get where i am going. worst case is i am the butt of some jokes with my buddies. one owns a 2500 cummins and the other owns a 5.3 silverado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashroll View Post
No one has mentioned engine braking, an advantage of the manual. It will help on the down hill to slow some without frying the brakes, especially long grades. Automatics are getting better but sticks still edge them out in mileage, especially in town. The one time an auto may be better is when the final drive is taller than its manual counter part; this would result in better highway mileage. If the Tacoma had a 6 or 7 speed auto to help maximize the weaker 2.7 4 then it would be a tougher decision. But a 4 speed?
something else to consider is whether you busy yourself with other tasks while driving. Its quite difficult to juggle the radio, cell phone, cheeseburger, big gulp and stick-- exacerbating this is that you can't maintain directional controll with the top of your knee on the wheel when working the clutch--
Off road creepin is much easier with an auto...
Oh, and referencing your mention of the regular cab: you'll be able to maneuver in parking lots and maybe even make some u-turns.
i agree about everything with the manual. i'll be able to control the rpms and shift points when towing. i won't be off road creeping much in it, maybe a gravel road to get to a trail but that is it. as for the other tasks while driving, maybe a manual will deter me from my bad habit...texting while driving
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #46
Quote:
access cab is my first pick. i really like the regular cab but i know i'll regret it once i own it. i am thinking the 2.7L would do fine towing, i don't tow any steep grades or anything like on the the Turnpike. just moderate hills around the rural part of Charleston. i am in no hurry to get where i am going. worst case is i am the butt of some jokes with my buddies. one owns a 2500 cummins and the other owns a 5.3 silverado.

i agree about everything with the manual. i'll be able to control the rpms and shift points when towing. i won't be off road creeping much in it, maybe a gravel road to get to a trail but that is it. as for the other tasks while driving, maybe a manual will deter me from my bad habit...texting while driving
Yep, the manual is the best anti texting and driving device there is!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #47
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
OP do yourself a favor and don't get the 4 spd automatic transmission. Its pretty slow and get worse Mpg's than the manual. I have no complaints with the 5-speed manual, can drive it fast if the need arises. Some people claim the 5- speed manual feels "clunky" but it shifts real nice once you figure out the optimum technique. Coming from a 4.0 l Tacoma, no complaints here on lack of power for the 2.7L . It's a truck not a race car!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #48
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know how it goes.

I've been thinking about trading in my CRV for a new 4x4 Tacoma 2.7L auto.

I figure if I can live with a vehicle being a bit slower, the CRV, then I might as well get a vehicle that looks more aggressive and sits higher up, 2.7L Taco.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #49
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06indigoink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I still would consider a V6. I was averaging about 17mpg. around town and 19 on road trips in my V6. It will definitely have to be 4wd. If there isn't THAT much of a difference in mileage I'd have no issue going to a V6.

I have found a couple with about 65k on em. There is one that is an 06 with 80k on it, I know these things are good for 200k but wondering if I should stay away from the 80k one?
my 06 has 110k, just getting broke in. no problems at all except an idler pulley exploding.. and that was def my fault.. it was caked with mud when it blew..
Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #51
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
OP do yourself a favor and don't get the 4 spd automatic transmission. Its pretty slow and get worse Mpg's than the manual. I have no complaints with the 5-speed manual, can drive it fast if the need arises. Some people claim the 5- speed manual feels "clunky" but it shifts real nice once you figure out the optimum technique. Coming from a 4.0 l Tacoma, no complaints here on lack of power for the 2.7L . It's a truck not a race car!
That part is false, but I still suggest the MT as well.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #52
taco tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
That part is false, but I still suggest the MT as well.
Did you post this on accident or mean something else?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #53
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AT=Better MPG
But I still vote for a MT because it is more fun.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #54
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
AT=Better MPG
But I still vote for a MT because it is more fun.

FALSE; MT does get get better MPG's than Auto for the 2.7L , on the 4.0L V6 the Auto gets better Mpg's. research it for yourself right here, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod...a_Tacoma.shtml

AT 2.7 L = 21/24 MPG
MT 2.7L =22/25 MPG
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #55

From the US Department of Energy:

EDIT to simplify (from your referenced source):

4x4:
AT 2.7 L = 18/21 MPG
MT 2.7L =18/20 MPG
Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #56

BTW, OP wants 4X4
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #57

Gotcha, I was thinking 4x2, 4x4 is geared differently. I still would get a manual if i were you op, much funner to drive! I'll never go back to an automatic.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #58
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Have you test driven any of them, OP? 159hp isn't much for towing 2200lbs in the WV mountains. It's definitely doable, but you'll be spending a lot of time (and fuel) in 3rd and 4th gears.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #59
taco tuesday

Quote:
4x4:
AT 2.7 L = 18/21 MPG
MT 2.7L =18/20 MPG
Go to fueleconomy.gov or fuelly.com and look at owners' actual mileages. Manuals win at the pump.
The manufacturer is reporting a better mileage here--
Its possible (can't verify) that the final drive gearing is slightly taller in that dinosaur 4 speed auto, so during a steady 55mph stroll on a flat highway slightly less fuel would be used.

It should be noted that promoting the auto benefits the manufacturer: higher profit margin.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #60

Guys, I'm on my 4th manual transmission over the years. I love driving a stick, and I'm not arguing against it...I'm just saying don't buy it expecting to get better MPG (or at least exboritantly better MPG) than an AT. In the past, that was true; not so much anymore.

My 2.7 MT is wound tight as HELL when cruising at 65 to 75 MPH. But I still love it...