Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Just might be getting a Tacoma...again

Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Just might be getting a Tacoma...again

made the most stupid decision of my life when i traded in the 2006 TRD Sport DCSB back in 2010 for a 2011 mustang 5.0 ended up having to get rid of the 5.0 after a few run ins with the law. so no i have this wonderful land yacht 2010 f-150 5.4 super crew cab. it's a great truck don't get me wrong, but with a 36 gallon fuel tank and fuel mileage at 13.8 it's killing me at the pump. right now i am spending close to $400 a month just in fuel for driving to work and around town.

so this has brought me to thinking about going back to a tacoma. probably a 4cyl manual access cab. sucks to lose a lot of space in the truck and the towing. but all i really tow is my Rzr s with a 6x12 trailer, which comes will within the capacity of the truck. i am still thinking though, hate to lose such a big truck but i won't miss the expense of filling it up. honestly, i am a little excited about the thought of going back to a tacoma!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl FTW. Is it going to be 4WD?

Welcome back to the toyota fold.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Do eet

I love my V6.... not quite 18 mpg but I does everything that I want it to
Old 03-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
u will not be sorry, just pull the trigger
Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the 4 and the 6 cylinders didn't get much difference in the mpg's unless you went with the 5 lug anyway?

Anyway I traded from a Hemi Ram getting about the same 14-15 mpg. I've been averaging 19 with the Taco. Doesn't seem like much difference but it really is. Was spending $75-$90 a fill up on gas, now about $50-$65 pending gas prices, and going the same mileage I might add.

The point is that unless the 4 banger gets better than I realize I can't see going that route. I mean coming from that much power down to the 4 cylinder is quite a shock. But to each his own. Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would V6 it.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
FL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
FL Forester's Tacoma Gallery
Where my 4cyl shines is after playing in the woods all weekend I still get 19 mpg. I get 21-22 in mostly city driving with 265/75/16's.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly Forester , able to drive out to the desert .Roomp around and still drive home with gas to spare.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I thought the 4 and the 6 cylinders didn't get much difference in the mpg's unless you went with the 5 lug anyway

Surprisingly they don't. EPA lists the 4x4 6cyl AT at 16/21 and the 4x4 4cyl MT & AT at 18/21. Real world I'm averaging 19.1mpg over 10k miles. 4cyl guys seem to get around 21-22. So it's about 10-20% better mpg even though the 6cyl is about 48% more HP and torque.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I still would consider a V6. I was averaging about 17mpg. around town and 19 on road trips in my V6. It will definitely have to be 4wd. If there isn't THAT much of a difference in mileage I'd have no issue going to a V6.

I have found a couple with about 65k on em. There is one that is an 06 with 80k on it, I know these things are good for 200k but wondering if I should stay away from the 80k one?
Old 03-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #12
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
I still would consider a V6. I was averaging about 17mpg. around town and 19 on road trips in my V6. It will definitely have to be 4wd. If there isn't THAT much of a difference in mileage I'd have no issue going to a V6.

I have found a couple with about 65k on em. There is one that is an 06 with 80k on it, I know these things are good for 200k but wondering if I should stay away from the 80k one?
I don't think 80k is excessive.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
nice. my friends dad has a ’11 F-150 we took it to take his dog to training one day. we both hated it. so damn big. it really is like a land yacht! friends has a FJ and is use to driving it.

only think i really tow is are rhino and maybe a 4 wheeler on a 7”X12” trailer. V6 DCSB has no problem at all!!! i estimate the trailer rhino and 1 atv and gear to be around 3k pounds.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I don't think 80k is excessive.
I wasn't sure. I know these motors are good for 200k+ easy. This one with 80k on it is an 06 so they've averaged way below the median annual mileage now. Most of the ones I'm finding are 08-09 models with 60-70K on em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
nice. my friends dad has a ’11 F-150 we took it to take his dog to training one day. we both hated it. so damn big. it really is like a land yacht! friends has a FJ and is use to driving it.

only think i really tow is are rhino and maybe a 4 wheeler on a 7”X12” trailer. V6 DCSB has no problem at all!!! i estimate the trailer rhino and 1 atv and gear to be around 3k pounds.
I'm telling ya this thing is so bulky. I am not complaining too much though. It has so much interior room. It rode very quiet until I put my Flowmaster 10 series on it . I hate losing all this space but I'm so damn tired of 13.8 mpg. The only time I use this truck for a "truck" is hauling that Rzr. I'd say with my gear and all it's about 2500lbs. Way below the towing capacity of a 2.7L.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Forester View Post
Where my 4cyl shines is after playing in the woods all weekend I still get 19 mpg. I get 21-22 in mostly city driving with 265/75/16's.
X3
Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #16

I have definietly decided on a 4cyl. What sucks is I can go pick up a 2012 reg cab 4x4 for $20,500. But I tend to think I need an access cab. so those are running $17k-$19k used.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I would second the access cab idea. I owned two regular cab Toyotas, one a T100 and found them too crowded. FWIW, I just found a 2009 access cab Tacoma 4wd, 2.7l, 5 spd, with 28k miles for just over $18k. I thought that was a good deal.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
I would second the access cab idea. I owned two regular cab Toyotas, one a T100 and found them too crowded. FWIW, I just found a 2009 access cab Tacoma 4wd, 2.7l, 5 spd, with 28k miles for just over $18k. I thought that was a good deal.
That's a really good deal compared to what I'm finding over here in WV. Heck there's a 2008 access cab 5 spd 2.7L 4x4 with 80k on it for $17,700. So your deal looks way better.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #19

Well I stopped by the nearest dealer today. Only had a regular cab automatic. Test drove an Off Road V6 access cab. I loved it! Such a great truck. But bottom line is I'm looking to maximize my MPG and I think the way to go is the 2.7 still. I have noticed the new ones come in options of a 5 speed manual or a 4 speed auto. Anyone have any input on which seems to be the better option?
Old 03-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
Well I stopped by the nearest dealer today. Only had a regular cab automatic. Test drove an Off Road V6 access cab. I loved it! Such a great truck. But bottom line is I'm looking to maximize my MPG and I think the way to go is the 2.7 still. I have noticed the new ones come in options of a 5 speed manual or a 4 speed auto. Anyone have any input on which seems to be the better option?
I can't say, but I was always taught that manuals got better mpg's. But from what I've seen the auto's get better in the Taco's. Was I taught wrong or have vehicle's changed so much since to cause this?