Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

what about the 2.4

Old 03-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
LilRedYota01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Russell
LilRedYota01's Tacoma Gallery
what about the 2.4

i was curious as to why about 90% of everything i see here is for the 2.7 and cant hardly find anything on the 2.4. is it just a junk motor or a less popular motor? what should i expect out of mine?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
It's just not a popular engine choice among people who joined this forum. It doesn't mean they aren't out there in force. Pretty much every 2wd 1st gen you see probably has one. Not junk it's just for economy and work. The 2.7 is referring to mostly the 2tr-fe in the second gen 2005+ but can also be from the 1st gen users and that engine as well.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the insite. I was startin to get worried. I knew my 2.4 seemed strong but thought maybe I jus got lucky
Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Blame Crablegs
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota made a lot of money on their small pick ups with 4 cylinders back in the day and have always built a quality 4cylinder engine. I would not be concerned over whether or not your engine is junk as previously stated. Oh, and feel free to join the Texas BS thread.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Good engine. The 2.4 and 2.7 were both run at the same time in the first gens, and the 2nd gens were 2.7 only for 4cyls. So the 2.4 is just less common. We have an 04 at work with 150K on it, and I know of another one with 200K. Neither has really been maintained all that well. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Don't take care of it and it might still be good to you, but I can't recommend that.

2.4 and 2.7 in the 1st gens were very similar. 2.7 in the 2nd gens is supposed to be substantially different. I'd own any of them.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
The 2.4 is a commuter workhorse engine. There is a picture out there with a 2001 2.4 taco with 700k miles on original engine. Just the hp is low compared to modern standards.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #7

This 2.4 is my favorite 4 banger I've had so far. It pulls a16x6 trailer around like its nothin