Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 banger prerunner -ok for a 16-21 ft boat?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
pdrunk is on a distinguished road
pdrunk's Tacoma Gallery
4 banger prerunner -ok for a 16-21 ft boat?

I've got a 4 cylinder dcsb prerunner.

My question is: Am I ok pulling a 15-21 foot boat? From reading on here I am not so worried about towing as I am about the lack of 4wd when putting it in and pulling it out of the boat launch.

I have fears of my 2wd slipping into the water....
Old 03-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
ehhhhhhh i need to put my 4 banger in 4wd to get out.

do you have a rear locker? how steep is the boat ramp? is the ramp mossy from dirty water or is the water clean?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
pdrunk's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not too sure about the different ramps and whatnot. My buddy used to pull the same boat with a 2wd chevy, and he tells me I can do it just fine. Tells me to go back far enough and use the trailer's winch to pull the boat onto the trailer. I'm just afraid of slipping on algae covered launches, though it seems that the launches i plan on hitting aren't that steep.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
like 97yota said, if you have locker you should be fine. i used my 02 2wd all the time to launch. it has a 6 banger, but the 4 should be fine. most of the launches on lake huron are pretty steep. i never even thought about not getting out, but the 02 had a locker. if i think of it, only used locker a few times. you get that algae slick and you need that little extra traction. been using my fjc the last 5 yrs and that walks it out even with snow.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
You never mentioned the weight of boat and trailer. If the combo is under the gcwr, go ahead.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
is your truck manual or auto? that makes a difference too, auto you can creep back up the ramp slowly so the tires dont spin, a manual you cant do that.... so its super easy to spin in a maunal. tried it with a 18ft pontoon boat. total with boat and trailer are about 2300lbs in my manual 4 banger in 2wd (no locker) and i had to get out and lock my hubs to even move.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
pdrunk's Tacoma Gallery
Auto. I'm pretty sure I'm ok, but I guess a 4x4 is always better, just in case.

Again, my friends 2wd chevy was fine. Bigger engine, but I'm thinking displacement isn't as big a factor during the actual launch...

Edit: i haven't looked at gross weight; I'm still just toying with the idea.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
x2 You never want to lock the rear when going up a boat ramp especially if there is algae, mud, grime, etc on the ramp because if both tire lose traction the you're going in the water whereas with it open only one tire loses and you still have the ability to stop the truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
is your truck manual or auto? that makes a difference too, auto you can creep back up the ramp slowly so the tires dont spin, a manual you cant do that.... so its super easy to spin in a maunal. tried it with a 18ft pontoon boat. total with boat and trailer are about 2300lbs in my manual 4 banger in 2wd (no locker) and i had to get out and lock my hubs to even move.
With good clutch control it's just as easy to "creep back up the ramp". Sounds to me like you need to spend a little time on an empty hill working on your clutching.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
depends if the boat is 15ft long or 21 foot long and if its aluminum or a bay boat....i tow around my 16 foot xpress with a 50 yamaha on the back and its like i dont even have anything behind me and as for getting out of the boat ramp...no struggles but i have 33in mud grips
Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Tow rating on the 4 banger is what... 3500 pounds?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
pdrunk's Tacoma Gallery
3500 iirc.

Sorry for the lack of info amd exact numbers, but I'm still just toying with the idea right now. I don't know much about boats either.

Would love to stock my freezer for a few months, not to mention just the sport and therapeutic aspects of fishing.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
IMO you should be fine because I towed this 17ft Key West 1720 Sportsman with a 90hp Yamaha 2-stroke on the back

with this 2.2L inline 4 cylinder open rear diffs and street tires

for 3 years without a problem. You just have to be mindful of what it is that you are backing up on.
Edit: When the boat is setup for a day of fishing it weighs around 1500#'s.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
http://youtu.be/3FshOpPqj88
Old 03-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
to this day that video confuses me. how does someone fail so hard. it is a freakin wave runner! there is no need to have the trailer fully submerged. and why he just kept flooring it is beyond me.

op: depending on how much the boat weighs, i think you will probably be fine as long as you creep up and down and dont gas it. IMO, if the boat is over about 2200lbs that would be pushing it with such a light rear end, and needing 4wd
Old 03-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
to this day that video confuses me. how does someone fail so hard.

op: depending on how much the boat weighs, i think you will probably be fine as long as you creep up and down and dont gas it. IMO, if the boat is over about 2200lbs that would be pushing it with such a light rear end, and needing 4wd
I have no idea, I just thought it appropriate here.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #17

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Should've aired down.

A-TRAC would have saved him.

He took the wrong line.

Needs bilstien 5100s.
Don't forget the deckplate mod.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #19

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
As long as it is closed
Well of course.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #20
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
to this day that video confuses me. how does someone fail so hard. it is a freakin wave runner! there is no need to have the trailer fully submerged. and why he just kept flooring it is beyond me.
My buddy lives on Huntington Harbor.
Ever since Jr. High, we've always enjoyed going to the launch on weekends to watch the "Boatnicks"

That video is not the worst we've seen.