Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

taco will not run please help

Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
dooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dooredtaco's Tacoma Gallery
taco will not run please help

hi ok everybody first i will tell you what all i have replaced in the past month:
spark plugs and wires from the factory, mobile1 high mile full syn. oil with factory oil filter, PCV valve, front o2 sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter, ran seafoam through the vac. line

a few days ago the truck ran hot and was running bad so i seen that it was my alternater belt pretty much had no teeth/groves anymore and figured that was why the truck overheated cause the water pump wasnt being able to spin right so i fixed that and it fixed the overheating but truck was running like crap then two days after that truck broke down so now i have tried another fuel pump- no results, i have swapped the fuel rail and injectors from my other truck but still no results. i have good compression 160 psi on each cylinder i have cheaked for spark with a screw driver sticking out of the end of wire but had good spark. all fusses are good. oil still looks great and coolent looks great.

ok so here is what the truck is doing after sitting for a long time truck will start and run very bad and die when put into gear. then it wont start back up and it just soakes down the spark plugs and the crazy part is i can unplug the MAF sensor and the truck will crank back up and idle perfect and rev up perfect but
will spit and sputter if try to drive it over 2000 RPM (still while having MAF unplugged) and then as soon as try to plug MAF back in truck will instantly die. WTF

i have cleaned the MAF- no result and i have checked with starter fluid many times and cant find any vacume leaks. there are five wires that go to the MAF harness and 4 out of the 5 ohm out with the ground and the one that doesnt is the gray with red strip wire.
thanks for any help i am about to go crazy here
also the truck is a 98 2.4L auto
Old 03-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
dooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddooredtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

also could it have jumped timing from the belt not grabbing the pulley?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
You have a chain and they typically won't jump teeth unless they are damaged. You showing any codes?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You dont have a timming belt. It has a chain. So the likelyhood of it jumping a tooth or so is unlikely. What engine codes are you throwing?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Mere seconds Ben.....mere seconds.....
Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Mere seconds Ben.....mere seconds.....
Still quicker............
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #7

yeah i thought that was not very likley to happen to a chain also but hey i just been trying to think of any possible thing it could be. on the codes dont have any as of now cause i cleared them and can only get it to run with the MAF unplugged so of course then it popped up the MAF malfuntion codes and a TPS malfuntion code but when i had it running the night before last with the MAF plugged in it only had the system bank 1 running too lean codes which has been popping up the whole time i have ever had this truck (over a year)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #8

Marines:
You should stop unplugging the MAF. You can damage it and or blow the EFI fuse. I would suggest looking at the EFI fuse right now.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #9

Marines:
Here's the basic list to look at regarding that code, which I assume is a P0171.

It sounds like you're not getting enough gas.

Air induction system
 Injector blockage
 Mass air flow meter
 Engine coolant temp. sensor
 Fuel pressure
 Gas leakage in exhaust system
 Open or short in A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) circuit
 A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1)
 PCV valve and hose
 PCV hose connection
 EFI main relay
 A/F sensor heater and relay circuit

But what troubles me is that it was overheating. Have you pulled the plugs and inspected them since it over heated?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #10

yes i have looked at plugs there new but you know from getting soaked from trying to crank so i have cleaned them best i could and gonna get new ones o nce figure this out the overheating was from the water pump not being able to spin efficiently but now it dont overheat
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #11

could the Engine coolant temp. sensor cause it to run bad the other day i remember a code that popped up and said Engine coolant temp. sensor malfunction
Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #12

im on my way to my shop now and i will try a new EFI main relay from my other truck its the green one under the dash right?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #13

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooredtaco View Post
im on my way to my shop now and i will try a new EFI main relay from my other truck its the green one under the dash right?
I had the ECT sensor code on my first gen before and it never ran like you described. The panel cover should tell which relay is which. I forget which is which. Double check that EFI fuse too.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #14

ok thanks i will let you know as soon as i get there
Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #15

im gonna stop and get a engine coolant temp. sensor on the way also
Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #16

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooredtaco View Post
im gonna stop and get a engine coolant temp. sensor on the way also
Definitely won't hurt.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #17

Hey good news the old engine temperature sensor was melted new one in and she is singing lol thanks so much for the replies
Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Good job.