Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7 Tacoma engine vibration

Old 03-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Cdn98TacomaSR5 is on a distinguished road
Cdn98TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 Tacoma engine vibration

Has anyone figured out what is causing the 4 cyl Tacomas to have such a pronounced engine vibration at idle? It is annoying at a red light. I have read many threads on this forum about engine vibration but no solutions, unless I missed them. The Toyota dealership just told me they can not find anything wrong with my engine when they scanned it with their computer diagnosis and test drove it. I changed the plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, seafoamed it and no change. I have a 98 4x4 2.7 Tacoma and there is no way an engine could leave the factory shaking like this. It rattles the passenger seat and dash and the dealership is telling me this is normal??
Old 03-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
AlaskanTaco will become famous soon enough

AlaskanTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, it is normal for a 4 cylinder to vibrate like this. You have to keep in mind that these are not 8 cylinders. V6 usually are worse. Especially if you get one without balance shafts. The only reason the seat is vibrating, is due to hermonics. It is nothing that I would worry about.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanTaco View Post
Yes, it is normal for a 4 cylinder to vibrate like this. You have to keep in mind that these are not 8 cylinders. V6 usually are worse. Especially if you get one without balance shafts. The only reason the seat is vibrating, is due to hermonics. It is nothing that I would worry about.
My 4banger does not vibrate this bad but my friends acrua does(normal).
OP how many miles on your engine ?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Stops Jihad on Contact.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually I don't recall any vibration problems with my V6 Tacoma.

My girlfriend's 4 cyl RAV4, however, would occasionally vibrate like a bitch while in gear at a stop light. So will my current Honda CRV.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Exactly... 4-banger... with each 2 engine revolutions there are only 4 bangs, so each bang is more pronounced at low RPMS especially when the thing's in gear with a bit of load. If it bothers you that much, slip it into neutral when you're stopped and it will purr like a quiet kitten. Or if you can find a way to bump the idle RPM that might help but that will likely create it's own set of dangerous problems (potential runaway) and the idle speed is computer-controlled anyway.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO, this is not normal. True, it won't be as smooth as a 6 or an 8,
but it shouldn't rattle your teeth.

My 2.7 is smooth at idle, and in gear.

Possible causes could be one bad motor mount, idle too low, vacuum leak, or maybe a bad torque converter if you have an AT.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Collins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to behold
Collins's Tacoma Gallery
No idle issues...smooth as silk...5spd, bone stock.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Gaffer is on a distinguished road
Name: Gaffer
Gaffer's Tacoma Gallery
My 2012 Tacoma 4x4 autop with a 2.7l 4 cyl has a pronounced vibration at 1500-1700 rpm. Have been back to the dealer twice and they tell me that all such engines. This is hard to believe when I read above that many of you do not have the problem.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles on that 2012?
Check the motor mounts? Have your been lubing her up?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #11
YukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of lightYukonLT is a glorious beacon of light
YukonLT's Tacoma Gallery
My 2.7l doesn't rattle or vibrate at all, at any RPM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #12
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
My '09 access cab vibrates more than my '07 regular cab did for some reason.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
ffbartlett is on a distinguished road

ffbartlett's Tacoma Gallery
mine feels and sounds fine to me when idling.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #14
Gaffer is on a distinguished road
Name: Gaffer
Gaffer's Tacoma Gallery
My 2012 has only 5200 miles on it. The vibration is worse at 1500-1700 RPM under load or pulling. Not all that torque though as if you out more into it it would downshift and pick up the rpm's. Yes, that dealer has tried the motor mount shift and retightened it and the exhaust system. They had me try out a similar truck and that was much quieter. I expected some more noise and vibration from a 4 cylinder but not enough that it can be felt on the steering wheel, accelerator and seat. The service manager took it out and confirmed that it was present but felt that their rechecking the motor mounts would make it go away. It is a tad better but still there.
I can deal with it, if they can assure me that it will not cause the engine to wear out prematurely. I cannot believe that that much vibration will not have some lasting effect on the life of the engine. I have filed a complaint with Toyota and they are having someone call me. I do not have an issue with the dealership. They have been most helpful. But for that money it ought to be perfect!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
Panda Cub is on a distinguished road

Panda Cub's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you need a valve adjustment, anything with dohc should have a valve adjustment every 30k or so. IMHO.

This is also what most mechanics will tell you too.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #17
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
Having the same issues, thinking I need to clean my throttle body
Old 05-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2.7L 2010 model with 40,000 miles and I run it pretty hard. I have no vibrations. When I'm at a stop light, I can barely notice my truck is on. I got lucky I guess.

edit: also, I perform normal maintenance at recommended intervals per Toyota, nothing more.