Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Steering wheel shakes over 50 MPH

Old 04-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Shane82 is on a distinguished road
Shane82's Tacoma Gallery
Steering wheel shakes over 50 MPH

I had 15" stock wheels on my truck. So I bought some 16's with a larger tire. I fits my lugs but not the hub. My steering wheel shook really bad above 50. So I had them balanced, and had some hub centric 1/8" spacers made. Wheel still shakes but not as bad and only 60 mph and up. I'm not happy with the steering wheel issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this. Suggestions? Tips tricks? Anybody? Thanks. Besides put the stock wheels back on.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Shane82 is on a distinguished road
Shane82's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
19thHole is on a distinguished road

19thHole's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
take it somewhere else to get the tires balanced.
Agreed, my home shop on my other car simply couldn't balance my tires and they had it for 2 hours! I took it somewhere else and they had it done and perfect in 15 minutes for 2 tires.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What exactly does this mean?
The center bore of the wheel is larger than the hub on the truck. This space must be taken up by a HUB-CENTRIC RING to make up the difference and allow the wheel to sit firmly on the hub. If you are not using the rings the vibration will loosen off your lug nuts and the wheels WILL eventually fall off.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
The center bore of the wheel is larger than the hub on the truck. This space must be taken up by a HUB-CENTRIC RING to make up the difference and allow the wheel to sit firmly on the hub. If you are not using the rings the vibration will loosen off your lug nuts and the wheels WILL eventually fall off.
If this is the case, then he needs to fix this issue first & foremost before moving to any other troubleshooting....
Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
If the wheel fits the lug studs pattern, wouldn't that automatically center the wheel on the hub when it's torqued down? Those plastic spacers don't look like they will provide solid centering against the forces that go through the wheel and suspension on a vehicle this size.