Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2012, reg cab 4cyl 4x4.... 5spd AUTO?? am i crazy??

Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
cozmo is on a distinguished road
cozmo's Tacoma Gallery
2012, reg cab 4cyl 4x4.... 5spd AUTO?? am i crazy??

ok, i'm beginning to think i'm crazy here. but i swear it seems like my truck has a 5 spd Auto. According to toyotas website, you can't configure a truck with my specs (2012, reg cab 4x4, 4cyl) with a 5spd auto, just a 4spd.

this is what my shifter looks like in case you manual tranny guys aren't familiar.

as you can see, you can shift through the gears manually. "L" leaves it in 1st. "2" will let the truck shift on it's own between 1st and 2nd, but no higher, "3", same thing through the 1st 3 gears. now here's the thing, if i put it in "3" and rev it out (highway onramp acceleration) and then bump it over to "D" it will upshift once, the revs will hang for a second, and then they will drop again (5th gear??) If I leave it in "D" and am accelerating going up hill, it will "drop a gear" and the revs will jump about 500rpm, then if i keep on it, it will drop another gear to what i presume is "3" or 3rd gear and the revs will jump about 1500rpm. it's very slight, but a def noticeable 500rpm drop or climb when in "D".

here's a somewhat crappy video, road was bumpy and traffic so i couldn't accelerate too hard, but if you look close you can see 4 RPM drops (4 shifts equals 5 gears, yes?)

I wish there was time on the video to point out the shifts, but 1st one is at 20mph, second about 38mph, third about 46mph, and last about 48mph. the last one is just kind of a rev hang, but if i was accelerating harder the MPH difference would have been greater than 46-48

am i nuts?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
The last little shift you detect is your torque converter locking up and dropping the RPM's a little bit more. It is not a 5th gear.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo View Post
am i nuts?
What does this have to do with how many gears your transmission has? and this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it went into over drive.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
cozmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
The last little shift you detect is your torque converter locking up and dropping the RPM's a little bit more. It is not a 5th gear.
hmm.... interesting.

no idea how that all works, but it will "unlock" when accelerating up a hill giving me a little more RPMs before shifting to third?

it's really kind of a pain actually cause in a light/medium hilly area it will go back and forth (gear hunting) between the two searching for the right RPM. i'll have to drop it to "3" to get it to stop hunting.

also if it's a slight incline i can get it to hold that "unlocked" position for quite a while with a constant pressure on the accelerator.

weird.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
cozmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
which in any sense of the word is just another gear.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post

The 3rd shift was into over drive. When the torque convertor locks up, it matches the engine to the transmission without slipping anymore. Read about it here.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo View Post
hmm.... interesting.

no idea how that all works, but it will "unlock" when accelerating up a hill giving me a little more RPMs before shifting to third?

That's exactly what it does. It's a clutch for automatic transmissions. Check the link I just posted to read up about them.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
cozmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The 3rd shift was into over drive. When the torque convertor locks up, it matches the engine to the transmission without slipping anymore. Read about it here.
interesting, thanks.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
no problem. Nice truck, I wish I had bucket seats!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #11
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
cozmo,

It is interesting that you have a 2012 regular cab with an automatic transmission. I was under the impression that the automatic was no longer available in the 2012s. I have a 20011 regular cab with the automatic. It was difficult to find.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Howd you get the builder like that? When I try to build a Taco it looks nothing like that.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
X2.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesrunner View Post
Howd you get the builder like that? When I try to build a Taco it looks nothing like that.
Plug in a different zip code.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #15
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
They make alot more automatics in the RC 4x4 nowadays it seems .
Old 04-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is the answer.