1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

engine cutout only on bumps?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by yota new.o, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    yota new.o

yota new.o [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    klamath falls oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 2.7 sr5
    fabtech dirtlogic coilovers with all-pro a-arms chevy 63" leaf springs billi 5125 12" extended bore shockins in rear headache rack duplicolor bed armor bumpers kc daylighters front fenders corbeau racing seats custom bed rack
    like the title says my engine will cut out briefly if i go over a bump in the road and at first start up you give it any as and it sputters almost dies but then comes back up to rpm, sometimes when it cuts out i lose sound to my stereo it does not turn off bu the music stops im baffled does any one have an answer. ive checked battery cables, dist. cap, rotor, plugs wires, fuel pump connector, fuel filter

2. Apr 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    yota new.o

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    klamath falls oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 2.7 sr5
    fabtech dirtlogic coilovers with all-pro a-arms chevy 63" leaf springs billi 5125 12" extended bore shockins in rear headache rack duplicolor bed armor bumpers kc daylighters front fenders corbeau racing seats custom bed rack
    *bump* any info at all?

3. Apr 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    Hard

Hard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    H
    Vehicle:
    4X4X4
    I think you are on the right track, somthing is loose. It could be a broken wire that is not making good connection, but that is much harder to find. I would start playing with things while the engine is running and see if you can kill it by jiggling a conector or harness.

4. Apr 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    From your description, focus your search around your ignition switch and wires leading to it.

5. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM
    yota new.o

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    klamath falls oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 2.7 sr5
    was also thinking they said when my lift got done the battery died on them could it be my battery is slowly taking a dump and it just happens to mess something up with it when i hit a bump this is getting very frustrating thanks for the answers guys gunna try them tomorrow

6. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:42 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I had a similar issue on my old truck , turned out to be a loose main ground

7. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    yota new.o

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    klamath falls oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 2.7 sr5
    definatly will check main wires tomorrow then drive down to autozone and test battery and alternator

8. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    yota new.o

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    klamath falls oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 2.7 sr5
    well main wires are just fine, tested battery it was bad took connectors off tested it again and it was good, replaced the connectors and now the problem is worse, but now it acts like its starved for fuel. the is really getting irritatiing im lost guys i need some help

9. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Definetly a wire is loose somewhere are seeing any codes poping up

10. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    yota new.o

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    klamath falls oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 2.7 sr5
    nope no codes just checked that, when i first start it and rev it, it sputters untill it gets into higher rpms, thinking about replacing fuel filter and see what that gets me

11. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    I think I might no what's going on now check your ground and power on the fuel pump because thats what to my buddy's jeep it would stall out every time it would hit a bump and it was the ground wire near the fuel getting loose and starving the engine

12. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    Gorillazrus

Gorillazrus To be continued...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5
    5100 Bilistens set @ 1" in front, Wheelers 5 leaf in rear, Leer Topper, TRD Skid Plate, Dual Band Ham Radio
    I had a similar issue with an old s-10 I had no power, boging down, missing ect. And it turned out that their was an ignition wire to my distrubitor that had chafed through and was grounding out when ever it touched anything metal, could be that when they did your lift they might have pinched a wire some were and it's shorting out.

13. Apr 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM
    yota new.o

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    klamath falls oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 2.7 sr5
    thanks guys for the responses im going to dig into it tomorrow and hopefully solve this issue, looking at it today i found my throttle body was loose and was missing a bolt, a ground wire was not connected and my cap had some crap ont he points, fixed those issues but no change in truck

14. Apr 7, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Did you clean the battery post terminals and cables when you took them off the battery?

15. Apr 7, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Check engine ground wires that attach to the frame. 9x out of 10 they are corroded off. I was given (for free!) an old truck that didn't run; brought it home and sure enough the engine ground wire to the frame was corroded off. I sanded clean the frame, put new ground wire end on, gave a Hail Mary and it started right up and ran like a dream.

Also (just for fun) check the engine wiring isn't burned or pinched especially around the EGR valve.

Hunting idle is also a sign of vacuum leaks. Check the little vacuum hoses for deterioration and cracks. I'd hit the auto store and buy a roll of new vacuum hose and start replacing them.

Also, make sure your EGR valve moves freely by pushing up on the diaphram on the underside space provided on the valve. If it does not move freely, buy a new EGR valve.

16. Apr 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    yota new.o

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    klamath falls oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 2.7 sr5
    ok just finished putting in a new cap rotor ign coil and fuel filter. it no longer cuts out on bumps it has good acceleration and good speed but now it misses at 1500 rpm everygear does it when we excelerate and decelerate. and it's a mild miss what do you guys think?

17. Apr 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I would replace the ignition wires and plugs if you haven't already.

18. Apr 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    yota new.o

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    klamath falls oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 2.7 sr5
    will do tomorrow

19. Apr 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    yota new.o

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    klamath falls oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 2.7 sr5
    any other suggestions

20. Apr 7, 2012 at 11:32 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Possible the bearings are shot on your alternator

Go down and tug on the rotor shaft and see if you have any play

Products Discussed in