Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

engine cutout only on bumps?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
yota new.o is on a distinguished road

Name: joe
yota new.o's Tacoma Gallery
engine cutout only on bumps?

like the title says my engine will cut out briefly if i go over a bump in the road and at first start up you give it any as and it sputters almost dies but then comes back up to rpm, sometimes when it cuts out i lose sound to my stereo it does not turn off bu the music stops im baffled does any one have an answer. ive checked battery cables, dist. cap, rotor, plugs wires, fuel pump connector, fuel filter
Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #2

*bump* any info at all?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
I think you are on the right track, somthing is loose. It could be a broken wire that is not making good connection, but that is much harder to find. I would start playing with things while the engine is running and see if you can kill it by jiggling a conector or harness.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
From your description, focus your search around your ignition switch and wires leading to it.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #5

was also thinking they said when my lift got done the battery died on them could it be my battery is slowly taking a dump and it just happens to mess something up with it when i hit a bump this is getting very frustrating thanks for the answers guys gunna try them tomorrow
Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar issue on my old truck , turned out to be a loose main ground
Old 04-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #7

definatly will check main wires tomorrow then drive down to autozone and test battery and alternator
Old 04-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #8

well main wires are just fine, tested battery it was bad took connectors off tested it again and it was good, replaced the connectors and now the problem is worse, but now it acts like its starved for fuel. the is really getting irritatiing im lost guys i need some help
Old 04-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #10

nope no codes just checked that, when i first start it and rev it, it sputters untill it gets into higher rpms, thinking about replacing fuel filter and see what that gets me
Old 04-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I think I might no what's going on now check your ground and power on the fuel pump because thats what to my buddy's jeep it would stall out every time it would hit a bump and it was the ground wire near the fuel getting loose and starving the engine
Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
To be continued...
Gorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gorillazrus's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar issue with an old s-10 I had no power, boging down, missing ect. And it turned out that their was an ignition wire to my distrubitor that had chafed through and was grounding out when ever it touched anything metal, could be that when they did your lift they might have pinched a wire some were and it's shorting out.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #13

thanks guys for the responses im going to dig into it tomorrow and hopefully solve this issue, looking at it today i found my throttle body was loose and was missing a bolt, a ground wire was not connected and my cap had some crap ont he points, fixed those issues but no change in truck
Old 04-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Did you clean the battery post terminals and cables when you took them off the battery?
Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Check engine ground wires that attach to the frame. 9x out of 10 they are corroded off. I was given (for free!) an old truck that didn't run; brought it home and sure enough the engine ground wire to the frame was corroded off. I sanded clean the frame, put new ground wire end on, gave a Hail Mary and it started right up and ran like a dream.

Also (just for fun) check the engine wiring isn't burned or pinched especially around the EGR valve.

Hunting idle is also a sign of vacuum leaks. Check the little vacuum hoses for deterioration and cracks. I'd hit the auto store and buy a roll of new vacuum hose and start replacing them.

Also, make sure your EGR valve moves freely by pushing up on the diaphram on the underside space provided on the valve. If it does not move freely, buy a new EGR valve.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #16

ok just finished putting in a new cap rotor ign coil and fuel filter. it no longer cuts out on bumps it has good acceleration and good speed but now it misses at 1500 rpm everygear does it when we excelerate and decelerate. and it's a mild miss what do you guys think?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I would replace the ignition wires and plugs if you haven't already.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #18

will do tomorrow
Old 04-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #19

any other suggestions
Old 04-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Possible the bearings are shot on your alternator

Go down and tug on the rotor shaft and see if you have any play