Notices

Best Truck Cap brands

Old 04-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
"New Guy on the meat wagon"
FD Harrison is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
FD Harrison's Tacoma Gallery
Best Truck Cap brands

Here is the deal. I am looking at modifying my Tacoma come this summer/earlyfall. It's a 09 reg cab 4x4 black. I have been looking to add a truck cap. It's either going to be a Leer or A.R.E. I need assistance in which brand looks best. So if you guys send some pictures of rides with caps on them that would be awesome.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
You didnt mention Snugtop. If you have ruled them out, no big, but if not, I would look into them too. I've only had mine a few months, but I am happy with it. I looked at Leer and Snugtop, and picked the snugtop because they do the vented windoors in a short bed, and also have a frameless rear window. Heres some pics.
Theres also this thread that has a lot of pictures.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...our-shell.html

Old 04-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
berg2065 is on a distinguished road
berg2065's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my reg cab with an ARE with vented windoors. Has been a great cap so far. If you are looking to carry heavy loads (up to 400lbs) on the roof, Leer has a great model for that.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
NetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Tim
NetDep's Tacoma Gallery
Not so sure about "best" since so many personal issues rule that decision -- but I have a LEER and really like it a lot! Pics of truck and one of the inside on my Tacoma set on my Flickr page....good luck - I love having a cap/topper/canopy..... :-)
Old 04-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Leer, ARE, Snugtop all make good caps. And they've all are susceptible to the occassional problem. Most problems are easy to fix. And if there is a problem with the fiberglass mold or paint, they all include lifetime coverage (at least in mid level caps and up). For what it's worth, I recently learned that none of them actually warranty the windows, door, and frames beyond a year. Only the fiberglass and paint. Just choose a good local dealer / installer who will stand behind the work if a problem arises. I have a Leer 100XR. Been great, no problems. Even took a beating with golf ball sized hail without a mark (couldn't say the same for the truck!). Only thing I wish I had done differently ... get remote keyless entry for the shell.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
"New Guy on the meat wagon"
FD Harrison is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
FD Harrison's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you all for your input so far. Snugtop is out as there is not any dealers in western NY (that I can find) or I would go with them. All of your guys trucks look awesome.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
What do you mean I can't go there?
Devilscar is on a distinguished road

Name: Thoreau
Devilscar's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Devilscar
What can I, Should I get for a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab with the extended bed?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilscar View Post
What can I, Should I get for a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab with the extended bed?
I'd start here:

http://www.4are.com/

http://www.leer.com/

http://www.snugtop.com/

See which ones have dealers in your area. They also have configurators on the websites which show you which models are available for your truck with which options.

Unfortuantely there are no SnugTop dealers near me. I've picked the a Leer and ARE that I'd be happy with and which options I want. I'm going see which one will give me the best deal next.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Speck is on a distinguished road
Speck's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a Jason shell also, I just got one. It saved me about $1000 compared to the other brands. About $1400 painted/installed, slider/flip down front, flip up side, and warranty. A guy in Houston would do it for around $1000 but it wasn't really worth the drive/time for me.

Call around and get quotes, then use them to negotiate a better price.

http://www.jasoncaps.com/

I just got the base model because I care more about utility than anything else, but they have several grades of shell.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
snugtop is best for gen1 and get the oversized windows
Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. There's not a Jason dealer local to me so I didn't think of them. Looking on their site, there's 3 within 100 miles so I'll talk to them.

If anything it'll help negotiate with the ARE and Leer dealers, but I'll drive a couple hundred miles to save $1000 any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck View Post
You can get a Jason shell also, I just got one. It saved me about $1000 compared to the other brands. About $1400 painted/installed, slider/flip down front, flip up side, and warranty. A guy in Houston would do it for around $1000 but it wasn't really worth the drive/time for me.

Call around and get quotes, then use them to negotiate a better price.

http://www.jasoncaps.com/

I just got the base model because I care more about utility than anything else, but they have several grades of shell.