Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Delargy is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Delargy's Tacoma Gallery
3 inch lift with 33

What will this do to my power and mpg? And other down falls to bigger tires
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Slower.

Worse mpgs.

After regearing to 4.88 and with a "fairly light but not featherweight" foot on the gas pedal my 2011 4 banger 5sp gets around 17 em pee gees fully corrected with real math and stuff.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
Cuban. is a jewel in the roughCuban. is a jewel in the roughCuban. is a jewel in the rough
Cuban.'s Tacoma Gallery
4.88's and 33's? wouldnt the rpms be a little on the high side? if they're 33's id recommend no higher than a 4.56 and no smaller than a 4.10.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
Cuban. is a jewel in the roughCuban. is a jewel in the roughCuban. is a jewel in the rough
Cuban.'s Tacoma Gallery
and you could always go for a tune to regain your power loss and mpg loss.

i regeared to 4.56 and got a tune when i lifted and added 35's and it brought my mpg to about 17/city. but im chevy...
Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Dyno tune is not going to make any significant difference at all. If you add performance mods then a tune would help with fuel/air mixtures and timing. Bottom line is with large heavy tires your going to loose power and mileage
Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delargy View Post
What will this do to my power and mpg? And other down falls to bigger tires
Don't do it, hundreds of people on this site have done it and regret it entirely............

Search op
Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
A proper three inch lift should be matched with 33's. Anything smaller and you'll wish you had 33's, anything bigger and you're a redneck.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban. View Post
4.88's and 33's? wouldnt the rpms be a little on the high side? if they're 33's id recommend no higher than a 4.56 and no smaller than a 4.10.
We're in the 4cylinder forum here. 4.10s come on 4 cylinder 4x4s from the factory.

4.56 is roughly back to stock ratio after upping the tire size,

4.88 is a click up from that - for a little more torque and RPMS, but only like 10% higher than stock RPMs at a given speed and gear. My MTRs are still louder than my engine at 75mph.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban. View Post
and you could always go for a tune to regain your power loss and mpg loss.

i regeared to 4.56 and got a tune when i lifted and added 35's and it brought my mpg to about 17/city. but im chevy...

I get that you don't drive a 'yota (not even a 4 banger) but ya can't really post up with your results (which I'm sure worked out for you great seeing how you probably have a V8) with any kind of comparison to a 4 cyl.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Mikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
Mikehole's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in a v6, and I did the 3" lift and 33" (285/75/16 BFG TA KO) and my mileage got significantly worse. I was already disapointed with the MPG of the v6 vs the v8 in my '03 Tundra, and the tires and lift dropped me down to about 14 MPG before the math magic (add 7% to the miles).
I didn't notice a decrease in power because I almost never floor it.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #13
Cuban.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
We're in the 4cylinder forum here. 4.10s come on 4 cylinder 4x4s from the factory.

4.56 is roughly back to stock ratio after upping the tire size,

4.88 is a click up from that - for a little more torque and RPMS, but only like 10% higher than stock RPMs at a given speed and gear. My MTRs are still louder than my engine at 75mph.
hmm that's interesting. i'm learning yota stuff, slowly but surely.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
go with 33 skinnies/pizza cutters - 255/85/16, if you go wider it's a lot of extra work and a lot of extra rotational mass from the 285/75/16 if you want that, more wind resistance from the wider tread, more flat out weight to turn, you will also need to chop the cab mount if you ever wheel along with either getting new rims, wheels spacers or possibly also upper control arms. ya it looks better with bigger tires but really does the 1/2 inch extra ground clearance, loss of mpg & power along with the extra work worth it to you? pizza cutters all the way! i run a 32" pizza cutter, they work well, once done will run 33" pizza cutter with no doubt! with stock gear and 32 pizza cutters i experience no notable loss of power or mpg but 33 will be a different story based on past experiences with other trucks and going just beyond the ideal....
I have the '11 version of yours.
Is this your daily driver?
How many miles per week?
Hills?
City driving with 33"s will suck for MPGs.
Flat highways you'll get better MPGs. Hills at highway speeds will suck (3rd or 4th gear).
I run the 255/85/16 BFG KM2s only when wheeling and love them. Mud, snow, 3' of water no problems.
I have a hilly 280 mile/week commute so I run the stock 245/75/16 Dungflops (and will be replaced with 265/75/16s when they wear out) unless I go wheeling.
There is the option of regearing if you want to run 33"s all the time.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
Sloweburn is on a distinguished road

Sloweburn's Tacoma Gallery
Do it and love your Taco!

I did a 3" lift and put on 285/75/16.

Knocked about 60 miles off a tank of gas and have to down shift going up steep hills.

I just filler 'er up and love my Taco!

PS: I was able to pull an FJ out of deep sh!t and tow him out of the trail to the road.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
WVToyota3214 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
WVToyota3214's Tacoma Gallery
If you lifted it up 3" and left the 245/75/r16 would I need to regear ? And would it look funny?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVToyota3214 View Post
If you lifted it up 3" and left the 245/75/r16 would I need to regear ? And would it look funny?
Yes, definitely
Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
WVToyota3214 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
WVToyota3214's Tacoma Gallery
If u regear the rear end do u have to do anything to the front ?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #19

I was actually just talking about the looking funny.... There is no need to regear unless you get up to a 35 inch tire.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
1. If you lifted it up 3" and left the 245/75/r16 would I need to regear ? 2. And would it look funny?
1. No need to regear with the stock size & would probably be OK with 1 size up 265/75/16s. the 265/75/16s looks good on 0" to 3" lift
2. Some what. I run 2 sets of tires & wheels 1 for commuting (stock Dungflops) and 1 for wheeling (33" BFG KM2s). Mine in commuter mode.

Quote:
If u regear the rear end do u have to do anything to the front ?
Both diffs would need to be regeared if you regeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
I was actually just talking about the looking funny.... There is no need to regear unless you get up to a 35 inch tire.
You're in 4Banger country. It's not the same as a V6.