Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

my alternator went bad.. how can i take it off?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
skatehawaii is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
skatehawaii's Tacoma Gallery
my alternator went bad.. how can i take it off?

Today i'm going to go into the shop and buy a new alternator for my 02 2wd Tacoma 2.4 liter 4 cy. I'm not very mechanical but I have general knowledge and know how to use tools and my friend recommended me to do the project if I didn't have spare cash to pay someone to do it. So my question is this, to take off the alternator, I need to take off the belt. Where is the belt tensioner, if there is one? Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the link for all trucks--find yours--tells you EVERYTHING!http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 05-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I see two bolts--link
http://ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_M.../gene/comp.pdf
Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #4

Does that help?
Good luck--simple unbolt--don't forget to disconnect the battery too-SAFETY
Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #5

instructions here
http://ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_M.../gene/remo.pdf
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
wow you are amazingly quick thank you so much!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by newertoy View Post
when they say "Torque: 9.8 Nm (100 kgfcm, 7.2 ftlbf)" what does that mean? is that anything i need to pay attention to? thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatehawaii View Post
when they say "Torque: 9.8 Nm (100 kgfcm, 7.2 ftlbf)" what does that mean? is that anything i need to pay attention to? thanks!
Its how tight you should put the bolts on...7.2 ft lb of torque. Do you have a torque wrench?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewH View Post
Its how tight you should put the bolts on...7.2 ft lb of torque. Do you have a torque wrench?
I do not and have never used one before.... Do I need one or will I be able to position the new alternator from eye?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatehawaii View Post
I do not and have never used one before.... Do I need one or will I be able to position the new alternator from eye?
No you should be fine without just don't overtighten the bolts. I have no idea what you mean by position it by eye... it can only go in one place.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
thank you guys so much!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #12

torque wrench

Get one you will use it-especially if you are not familiar with tightening !!
they are CHEAP in comparison to breaking something--(time and material)