Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4cyl Double Cabs - Any gitty-up issues?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
HammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant future

Name: Jake
HammerHead's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl Double Cabs - Any gitty-up issues?

Hey guys. I posed this question on the 1st gen page as well, but thought I would ask here too. I know this may be somewhere if I dig, but a friend just emailed and is looking at a 2004 Double Cab, 4cyl. Want to try to get him a quick response.

Is there any issues with a 4 cyl on a doublecab frame, ie, slow or unresponsive? I told him as long as he's not towing alot, he should be fine, but wanted to confirm with you guys. You would think a v6 would be required on a double-cab frame, but does it really make a big difference?

Hoping for a quick response so I can get back to him asap

Thank you!!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Tell him to test drive it, it's the only way HE is going to know if it's got enough power for the type of driving he does. The 4 cylinder will move a double cab but it's not going to be a powerhouse. Some people are OK with the 4 cylinder power while it drives other people crazy.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Hey guys. I posed this question on the 1st gen page as well, but thought I would ask here too. I know this may be somewhere if I dig, but a friend just emailed and is looking at a 2004 Double Cab, 4cyl. Want to try to get him a quick response.

Is there any issues with a 4 cyl on a doublecab frame, ie, slow or unresponsive? I told him as long as he's not towing alot, he should be fine, but wanted to confirm with you guys. You would think a v6 would be required on a double-cab frame, but does it really make a big difference?

Hoping for a quick response so I can get back to him asap

Thank you!!
I have to disagree with you on the V6 thing, ever see one of these before?

My grandmother had one with the 22RE 4 banger I believe and it pulled it around just fine and held 70 on the highway. I wouldn't underestimate the 4, Toyota and Honda make some of the best 4 bangers out there. Mine has plenty of pep to it even when it is loaded down.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post

My grandmother had one with the 22RE 4 banger I believe and it pulled it around just fine and held 70 on the highway. I wouldn't underestimate the 4, Toyota and Honda make some of the best 4 bangers out there. Mine has plenty of pep to it even when it is loaded down.
Those were built when everyone was high.

OP - It will he slow but it will move...eventually.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
HammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant future

Quote:

My grandmother had one with the 22RE 4 banger I believe and it pulled it around just fine and held 70 on the highway.
So you're saying the 4cyl is good for towing? I don't think he plans on towing anything, but that is good to know.

I'm just wondering if there are any issues with the 4 cyl double cabs that I'm not aware of. Logic would dictate that the bigger the frame coupled with a smaller engine would equal low response, but I'm not sure. The only reason i was thinking it could be an issue, was because of the 4 cyl Isuzu I used to own. It was like trying to get a dead turtle to move, lol. Heavy frame.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
TJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: TIM
TJGARZA84's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 4 cyl double cab and had 2011 4 cycl double cab - hence the reaon i bought the same truck only newer.
Anyways - its more then enough power.Allthough i havent towed anything with it and dont see any reason why it cant tow.
Yes it can be a bit slow when trying to pass or on a steep incline -That when you drop gear and all is good again.(mine is an automatic)

Have your friend test drive and compare - good luck ......
Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
So you're saying the 4cyl is good for towing? I don't think he plans on towing anything, but that is good to know.

I'm just wondering if there are any issues with the 4 cyl double cabs that I'm not aware of. Logic would dictate that the bigger the frame coupled with a smaller engine would equal low response, but I'm not sure.
It varies really, I have towed 2580lbs with mine and had no trouble, it wasnt fast by any means, but people shouldn't need to go fast when towing anyways.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm just wondering if there are any issues with the 4 cyl double cabs that I'm not aware of. Logic would dictate that the bigger the frame coupled with a smaller engine would equal low response, but I'm not sure.
If you put a small engine in a big frame, it will not be quick. The 4 banger will get the double cab moving but don't expect it to be a race car. The double cab isn't THAT much heavier than the access cab and has the same length frame I believe. Again, have him test drive the truck to make sure he'll be happy with the 'gitty up'. Asking an open forum will get you nothing but opinions, some bias to the engine they currently have.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #9

All good points. Yes, a test drive would be in order. I'll let you know how it goes as I may be helping to add another satisfied Taco driver to TW.

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on y'all.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Those were built when everyone was high.

OP - It will he slow but it will move...eventually.
Isn't everyone still high?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Isn't everyone still high?
Touche.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #12

Huh?....