LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

I4, first oil change

Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #22
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I use the Purolator Pure-One
It's about $6 and is one of the better filters available.

Mobil-1 and K&N are identical. The only difference is you pay $3 to have the nut welded to the top on the K&N... and given the way the filter sits up there on the 2.7 it's not a bad idea... if you don't mind wasting $15+ on a filter that's no better than the $6 PureOne.

Price is my driving force in staying away from Mobil-1.. it's an excellent filter, but it's no better than the PureOne, and honestly, the Purolator bypass valve is a better design than the Mobil-1 valve.

Outside of those, Bosch is also a top-level filter. It is made in the same factory as Purolator (Bosch bought Purolator back in '05 or '06), and is identical to the Purolator Classic.

Fram also makes other brands... Microgard, Pennzoil, and others are Fram.
Champion Labs used to make Bosch and was a good filter, but now they are using a design that is no better than Fram. Their current OEM are STP, AC/Delco, and Supertech (WalMart)... maybe others.
Of note, yet... Champion is still making the Mobil-1 and K&N, but they are still using the older design, as those are synthetic-media premium filters... but as I said, they simply are not worth the $13-$16 unless you just have to have that nut on the bottom.

But best bang for the buck?
Toyota dealer for the 90915-YZZD1
Cheaper than the Pure-One, might be a buck more than the basic Fram, and it's a good filter.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Personally, I use the Purolator Pure-One
It's about $6 and is one of the better filters available.

Mobil-1 and K&N are identical. The only difference is you pay $3 to have the nut welded to the top on the K&N... and given the way the filter sits up there on the 2.7 it's not a bad idea... if you don't mind wasting $15+ on a filter that's no better than the $6 PureOne.

Price is my driving force in staying away from Mobil-1.. it's an excellent filter, but it's no better than the PureOne, and honestly, the Purolator bypass valve is a better design than the Mobil-1 valve.

Outside of those, Bosch is also a top-level filter. It is made in the same factory as Purolator (Bosch bought Purolator back in '05 or '06), and is identical to the Purolator Classic.

Fram also makes other brands... Mech-Guard, Pennzoil, and others are Fram.
Champion Labs used to make Bosch and was a good filter, but now thiey are using a design that is no better than Fram. Their current OEM are STP, AC/Delco, and Supertech (WalMart)... maybe others.
Of note, yet... Champion is still making the Mobil-1 and K&N, but they are still using the older design, as those are synthetic-media premium filters... but as I said, they simply are not worth the $13-$16 unless you just have to have that nut on the bottom.

But best bang for the buck?
Toyota dealer for the 90915-YZZD1
Cheaper than the Pure-One, might be a buck more than the basic Fram, and it's a good filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Yeah I've never heard of any problems with people running frams . I did just run across a bunch of fram bashing on the net though . LOL damn filter snobs . I'll probably go with Mobil 1 next time but will need to buya new removing tool .
I've always used the Toyota filter, especially after the big oil filter showdown on this forum...

what's everyone's thoughts on Castrol High-Mileage oil for a 125k I4? I've never used synthetic in this truck but I'm thinking synthetic in the gearbox and rear on the next service.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj636 View Post
what's everyone's thoughts on Castrol High-Mileage oil for a 125k I4? I've never used synthetic in this truck but I'm thinking synthetic in the gearbox and rear on the next service.
125k is not high mileage for a Toyota

Seriously....

The "high mileage" formulations are modified. Though the viscosity is spec for the grade, they "act" heavier. Mobil-1 has a comparison of it's various oils and shows that the high mileage versions are not optimal for fuel economy.

It would be interesting to send a couple of virgin samples to see what the difference in the additive package is, but the idea behind the high mileage formula is to help reduce oil consumption.

If you aren't losing more than a quart between oil changes (my wife's Rav4 uses about 1/2qt every 5k, 125k on the engine), then you don't need the high mileage.