Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

off road 2wd.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
ROGER JR. is on a distinguished road

Name: ROGER
ROGER JR.'s Tacoma Gallery
off road 2wd.

anyone here go off roading in a 2wd base 4cyl reg cab 2.7i4 if so what upgrades are installed im kinda on a budget but like going trailing.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Plenty people do. Tires would be my first mod.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Plenty people do. Tires would be my first mod.
Yep, tires first.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
DESTROYERRACER is on a distinguished road
DESTROYERRACER's Tacoma Gallery
tires and upgrade the shocks atleast since the 2wd suspension is tuned strictly for road use it wont hold up to the cycling of offroad use for very long
Old 05-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Yjryder is on a distinguished road
Yjryder's Tacoma Gallery
A good deep treaded all terrain and lots of skinny pedal. I went down into a retention pond and came back up the hill flawlessly in my single cab Tacoma and by buddy's in his suburban had to stop and put it in 4wd. It was lots of fun.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
zachc113 will become famous soon enough

zachc113's Tacoma Gallery
i have an 01 prerunner dbc and i use it off road all the time. been on a few slick trails and it handled them better than a 87 bronco that also was in 2wd. You also may want to get a small lift because the 4 cylinders dont have to much clearance stock.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
I off-road my prerunner (both before and after a small lift). Can't do anything crazy, but it's still fun.

A rear locker would probably be a big help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachc113 View Post
...You also may want to get a small lift because the 4 cylinders dont have to much clearance stock.
Do you mean the 5 lugs don't have much clearance? There shouldn't be much height difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder trucks. However, the 5 lugs are a bit lower...

Proper application of the skinny pedal is important, too. Foot to the floor isn't necessarily the answer to every problem...
Old 05-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
FBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kaleb
FBGW01's Tacoma Gallery
im 2wd with locker. 01 prerunner extended cab i can keep up with my buddies broncos sometimes haha with lots of speed! its funner when u haul ass up a hill not crawl!
Old 05-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
My friend has taken his 5lugger taco into the sand with me and he got stuck a couple of times. Then he learned you just a have to floor it .
Good tires will help a ton, and new shocks like others have said.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
not to sound like a jerk but a 2wd drive truck is not for wheeling, unless you just want to putt around on dirt roads, mud, rocks and such will not be very fun. speed and too much momentum will just bust up your truck.
Different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
ROGER JR. is on a distinguished road

Name: ROGER
ROGER JR.'s Tacoma Gallery
THATS AWESOME APPREIATE IT.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
not to sound like a jerk but a 2wd drive truck is not for wheeling, unless you just want to putt around on dirt roads, mud, rocks and such will not be very fun. speed and too much momentum will just bust up your truck.
take it easy and understand your limits...
Old 05-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
FBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kaleb
FBGW01's Tacoma Gallery
haha ya i dont beat the living shit out of my truck. but i put alot pretty much all my money and time into it (im 16) and i love it! its not like its a stock tacoma 2wd. i got the suspension done up. Bed cage LT fox 2.0 in the rear and front soon to have fox CO resi's. does fine through high speed stuff. not much of a crawer guy anyway but i enjoy it still. just the highspeed is more fun in my opinion
Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
franken 831 is on a distinguished road
Name: frank
franken 831's Tacoma Gallery
bigger wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGER JR. View Post
anyone here go off roading in a 2wd base 4cyl reg cab 2.7i4 if so what upgrades are installed im kinda on a budget but like going trailing.

Check out the post by "franken 831" ----on larger rims and tires. this change raises the ground clearance by one and one quarter inch to one and a half inch., about the same clearance of the 4by4.

you can not raise ground clearance with lift kits, only larger dia. rims and tires can will do it. Ground clearance is a major factor in off roading. and go slow slow and stay out of the deep mud, where 4 by 4 jobs get stuck.

c 321
Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
>:3
Sawyercomesclean is on a distinguished road

Name: Zell
Sawyercomesclean's Tacoma Gallery
Mine's a prerunner and I do really well on most off road trails with my 33 mud tires and 3 inch lift. If I avoid crazy shit, I'm usually good. My next truck will most likely be 4x4 though.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
HunterArdrey is on a distinguished road
Name: Hunter
HunterArdrey's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...lug-build.html