Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Toppers and gas mileage

Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
My4x4Tacoma is on a distinguished road
My4x4Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Toppers and gas mileage

Now have a little over 1400 miles on my 2012, regular cab, 4x4, manual transmission. I kept speeds pretty low, below 60 most of the time and drove backroads instead of interstate for approximately first 500 miles. Now driving between 60 and 80 on interstate for 90 mile round trip to work. A few miles is city.

First few fillups were 24+ mpg. Tonite filled up on way home and mileage is up to 25.43.

I am happy with 25 mpg. I would like to put a topper, probably leer on the truck.

What kind of change in mpg should I expect with a topper ?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
My4X4Tacoma,

A topper will only get you a fractional gain in mileage at best. If you have other needs for a topper, great, but do not spend $1500 for a topper expecting huge gas savings.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
No change or possible slight increase on the highway and slight potential drop in MPG's in the city just due to the added weight that you need to get going off the start. If you get a shell with a roof rack, that could create more drag and affect your highway MPGs. I agree with Wolftree, don't buy a shell just for MPGs.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
My4x4Tacoma is on a distinguished road
My4x4Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
My4X4Tacoma,

A topper will only get you a fractional gain in mileage at best. If you have other needs for a topper, great, but do not spend $1500 for a topper expecting huge gas savings.
I dont expect any gain in gas mileage, but would be very happy if it helped. I really want the topper for the covered space and for the hunting dog.

I am more concerned that the topper might have a negative impact on the gas mileage. But hopefully not much.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
It should make very little difference in milage really. As you are planning on hauling your dog, be sure to get operating windows and vents.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by My4x4Tacoma View Post
I dont expect any gain in gas mileage, but would be very happy if it helped. I really want the topper for the covered space and for the hunting dog.

I am more concerned that the topper might have a negative impact on the gas mileage. But hopefully not much.

It is my understanding that a larger flat rear surface (tailgate+topper) will create more drag than just tailgate (tonneau cover).

The optimal shaped topper for fuel efficiency would slant from the back of the cab gradually down to the top of the tailgate.

Therefore, topper = theoretical loss and tonneau = theoretical gain

However, if you're not going racecar speeds the difference will be negligable. If you lose .3 mpg or something but gain functionality/something you need/a warm spot for the pups there is really no reason not to get one. Just wanted to clarify that everything I've read/researched from ecomodders etc has pointed to a topper equalling a minor theoretical loss.

You can easily counter that with a number of other things