Notices

leveling kit help

Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
occasional
conmag is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: ladder 13
conmag's Tacoma Gallery
leveling kit help

So I read for hours all over the forums and cant find exactly what i am looking for. I just got a 2012 4 cyl 5 sp access cab. I am looking to get a leveling kit for it. I dont want to off road it, i dont want to change the tire size or anything i am just looking for my daily driver so sit a little higher in the front and drive and perform as close to stock as possible. I see leveling kits that are 2 in 2.5 and even 2.25. If they are supposed to level out the front shouldnt there be one size that is even with the rear? Who makes the best leveling kit? And lastly (sorry i know this is long) does anyone have pictures of a 4 cyl access cab with stock everything just a leveling kit? thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2002, its quite a bit of difference, but i have a 2" leveling kit, and it leveled it. the block that is put in is actually only 1" think but you achieve the 2" but to me i like the front end to set higher than the rear, so if i was you i would get a 2.5" just to be safe, plus the newer models are different than the older on this kinda stuff, and mine was also t-6 billet aluminum. i bought off of ebay for $65 and it took about 3 hours to install.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
im with you on the leveling and all i studied for days trying to find the right sizes and pictures and everything. there is no clear answers. or clear pictures, plus every lift/level has a different stance on every truck. but i think you would be happy with a 2.5" leveling kit.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
occasional
conmag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Diffferent cab/bed/engine/trans configurations I would assume create the need for slightly different lifts to level?

Not a spacer fan, but id checkout toytec

I see its ur first post.....welcome to TW
Why not a spacer fan? and thanks for the welcome
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Put a jack under one side of the truck and raise the front until it is the height you want and measure it from the ground to the wheel well skirt centered over the center of the wheel. Compare with the height before jacking. That is how much lift you need. You are probably looking at 2 to 2.5 inches. A 1 inch spacer on top of your strut should do the trick.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Disco850 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Grunt
Name: Disco
Disco850's Tacoma Gallery
Most people on here dont like spacers because they are not a true "hard core" lift that cost 2k. They also say they break easily under load like wheeling which I can understand and could see happening. I personally prefer a spacer kit for my use because I dont do any extreem wheeling or crawling and I like to keep as much of my truck a "factory" as possible. I do very mild off roading here in florida where the only real rocks have been shipped in and everything here is basically flat. So for my purposes a spacer lift is ideal.

BTW im also a cheap ass so $300 sounds much better to me than 2k or even $1500.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
occasional
conmag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW View Post
Put a jack under one side of the truck and raise the front until it is the height you want and measure it from the ground to the wheel well skirt centered over the center of the wheel. Compare with the height before jacking. That is how much lift you need. You are probably looking at 2 to 2.5 inches. A 1 inch spacer on top of your strut should do the trick.
Thats a great idea for figuring out what size leveling kit i want thanks i never would have thought of that lol. Just curious why is it a 1 in. spacer provides for a 2 in or so overall height difference?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
occasional
conmag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco850 View Post
Most people on here dont like spacers because they are not a true "hard core" lift that cost 2k. They also say they break easily under load like wheeling which I can understand and could see happening. I personally prefer a spacer kit for my use because I dont do any extreem wheeling or crawling and I like to keep as much of my truck a "factory" as possible. I do very mild off roading here in florida where the only real rocks have been shipped in and everything here is basically flat. So for my purposes a spacer lift is ideal.

BTW im also a cheap ass so $300 sounds much better to me than 2k or even $1500.
I agree and i dont plan on doing any wheeling...not to mention im a cheap ass too. So you have a spacer lift? if so which one did you go with?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
SoCal Reppin
iRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iRepLONGBEACH's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend 5100s over spacers.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Toytec is the lift I would purchase. No I dont have my lift only because its on the bottom of my list of priorities right now. I was going to buy it las week and just got a serious case of the cheapassness and felt convicted for spending $400 on a lift and spacers so I could go and spend another $1500 on bigger tires and rims. I had to re shuffle my priorities a bit. BUT I have a bunch of friends that do seriously insane wheeling with spacer kits and they never seem to have any problems.

Sorry for the long answer
Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
occasional
conmag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepLONGBEACH View Post
I would recommend 5100s over spacers.
Why? alot of people say go with those but they also say it changes the stock ride which i do not want to do...the price difference is not an issue just to me simple is always better and these seem more involved than a simple spacer
Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
occasional
conmag's Tacoma Gallery
so the 5100's still have a stock ride feel when the are set at 2 or 2.5 lift?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
occasional
conmag's Tacoma Gallery
that video was very helpfull thanks...so is there anything else needed with the 5100 or just buy the fronts and install them? no other necessary parts or upgrades that must piggy back the shocks?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Made in Maine.... Yessah bub!
JNome has a spectacular aura aboutJNome has a spectacular aura aboutJNome has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard: Ensign
Name: Jake
JNome's Tacoma Gallery
OP, as long as you keep the shocks in the 1.75 slot you will be good to go. I have heard some concerns of having issues with control arms hitting the coils and issues with alignment if you exceed this setting and go up into the 2.5 slot. I can't attest to this as I have mine in the 1.75 slot but it is definitely something to consider. Did this install to my truck a month ago and if leveled is what you want, level is what you'll get. Pretty easy install.

For some install advice, I would recommend finding a shop that can swap your coil springs out for you and mount them to your Bilsteins. Everything else is pretty easy to do. Search around on here for install info. Good luck and ask questions.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
occasional
conmag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNome View Post
OP, as long as you keep the shocks in the 1.75 slot you will be good to go. I have heard some concerns of having issues with control arms hitting the coils and issues with alignment if you exceed this setting and go up into the 2.5 slot. I can't attest to this as I have mine in the 1.75 slot but it is definitely something to consider. Did this install to my truck a month ago and if leveled is what you want, level is what you'll get. Pretty easy install.

For some install advice, I would recommend finding a shop that can swap your coil springs out for you and mount them to your Bilsteins. Everything else is pretty easy to do. Search around on here for install info. Good luck and ask questions.
have you ever tried the 2.5 slot? and at 1.75 does your sit level or close but a little lower?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
ffbartlett is on a distinguished road

ffbartlett's Tacoma Gallery
5100s
Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
I have seen them cause shocks to snap while driven ON ROAD when hitting a medium sized dip that wouldnt have effected a stock setup.

sorry, I DO NOT fall in that category...take a look at my setup, I had the money to go full LT, but I chose not to because I wouldnt use the suspension to its potential and I have a bad knee so I dont need to jump in and out. My lift costed maybe 600?

Ive seen the breakage while ON ROAD, from a medium sized bump that a stock setup woulda been just fine with.
I will definitely read your build thread in hopes of learning a better way.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
Made in Maine.... Yessah bub!
JNome has a spectacular aura aboutJNome has a spectacular aura aboutJNome has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard: Ensign
Name: Jake
JNome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by conmag View Post
have you ever tried the 2.5 slot? and at 1.75 does your sit level or close but a little lower?
For me 1.75 was level. If you want to test your lift height, either measure the height of the front fender in comparison to the rear fender and see what you need for lift, or place a jack under the front and jack it up to 1.75 inches and see if its level. Then try 2.5 if you need more. Each truck is a little different.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
Rmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really nice
Rmesa1's Tacoma Gallery
Installed 5100 last week on my 2012 dcsb set at 1.75 the truck is perfectly level 37" ground to fender front and rear. I think the truck rides better than stock. It is slightly stiffer in the front but the rear shocks ride smother than factory and I like that.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #20
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered my 5100's last night. I had the TSB done last month and planning to lift the front. I dont have money for new coils right now. Anyone have an opinion if 1.75 vs 0.85 gives a better ride? 1.75 will bring the front just about level but if the ride is so much better at .85 I would rather have that. Anyone have any opinions?