Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

HIGHWAY RPM'S ?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
2bnb driver is on a distinguished road
Name: mark
2bnb driver's Tacoma Gallery
HIGHWAY RPM'S ?

Im trying to get an "out of the box" picture of what gearing translates to when the stock tires hit the road.

I have a base 2.7l tacoma with the standard tires and auto transmission. At 70mph im running at 2200 rpm.

I would like to know at 70mph, and in stock configuration, how many RPM's a base stick runs. Like wise a 4x4 2.7l base truck.

Thank you
Old 05-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
With Ohio speed limit at 65mph, I am turning right around 2000 rpm at 65mph. I can feel the engine coming up onto the camshafts sweet spot right around 1900 RPM right on through 2500 RPM. I am running 265X70R-16 tires.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
RPMs

There's a tool out there on the Web where you can enter in your gear ratios and tire size to get RPMs at any given speed. I thought I had it book marked, but I didn't. Do a browse and see what you turn up.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Banned
knucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
knucklehead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bnb driver View Post
Im trying to get an "out of the box" picture of what gearing translates to when the stock tires hit the road.

I have a base 2.7l tacoma with the standard tires and auto transmission. At 70mph im running at 2200 rpm.

I would like to know at 70mph, and in stock configuration, how many RPM's a base stick runs. Like wise a 4x4 2.7l base truck.

Thank you
http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...ear_Ratios.htm

look up overdrive ratio and axle ratio, multiply them together to find overall ratio.

You can use the tire specifications on tirerack.com, specifically "revolutions per mile".

rev_per_mile x mile_per_hour = rev_per_hour. Multiply that by 60 and you have wheel RPM. Multiply wheel RPM by overall gear ratio and you have engine RPM.