Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2012 with 17000 miles

Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
RACINGMEMO is on a distinguished road
Name: GUILLERMO
RACINGMEMO's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2012 with 17000 miles

i have a noise on my car that is very noticeable when i turn on the a/c, when the a/c clutch is activated i hear a rattle or bearing notice and as soon i engage the clutch it stops, any of you guys had this problem?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Take it back to the dealership, let them deal with it. This is why you have a bumper to bumper warranty
Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGMEMO View Post
i have a noise on my car that is very noticeable when i turn on the a/c, when the a/c clutch is activated i hear a rattle or bearing notice and as soon i engage the clutch it stops, any of you guys had this problem?

absolutely mine sounds like a clattering almost diesel like. it seems to be an intermittent problem and not something i can reproduce for the dealer so two years into this truck and i have yet to get it squared away.

now i really like my truck but, dude where in the fuck has toyotas quality gone
Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
I have this too. Only makes the noise sometimes when you first turn on the A/C and the engine is cold.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
absolutely mine sounds like a clattering almost diesel like. it seems to be an intermittent problem and not something i can reproduce for the dealer so two years into this truck and i have yet to get it squared away.

now i really like my truck but, dude where in the fuck has toyotas quality gone
i hear mine when i go trough a drive-thru, so if the guy can't hear it i'm going to take him to a burger place jajajaja

i think i got it down to the throtle bearing but will see.

i think toyota has put a balance on quality and all the f@#ing regulations from the goverment to maintain the price. my 2005 4dr trd off-road in 2005 cost me 26000 and now the 2012 cost 32000.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
I have this too. Only makes the noise sometimes when you first turn on the A/C and the engine is cold.
this noise is worst than the ranger i traded in, i hope they can fix it, too bad they don't have loaner cars while they troubleshoot and fix it.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGMEMO View Post
this noise is worst than the ranger i traded in, i hope they can fix it, too bad they don't have loaner cars while they troubleshoot and fix it.
I've made the dealership give me a loaner car and it shouldn't be too difficult to fight for one. You purchased a brand new vehicle and it's having issues, the least they can do is give you a car to drive around so you don't spend the day waiting for them to figure out what went wrong.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Mine also does this regardless of the a/c being on or off. Always at idle in neutral with the clutch out. Goes away when the clutch is engaged. Im at 35000 miles now and it hasnt gotten worse. I think its the thowout bearing also
Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
A couple things:

1.) Throwout bearing
2.) Also, cabin air filter. If its clogged/dirty, the A/C works hella hard to breathe properly and clicks/ticks like mad. To the point it'll make the engine chug when you turn it on, especially if the engine is cold. Also, when the A/C is breathing hard like that, it makes a noticable clicking noise in neutral that 'goes away' when you depress the clutch. Or at least it did on my 2006 i4.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoterragaia View Post
Mine also does this regardless of the a/c being on or off. Always at idle in neutral with the clutch out. Goes away when the clutch is engaged. Im at 35000 miles now and it hasnt gotten worse. I think its the thowout bearing also
try and push the shifter towards third forcing a little without clutch and see if the sound stops, mine does. i took mine yesterday and the dealer did not found the source, they said to bring it back when it gets worse, and today i discovered that pushing the shifter like that stops the noise, they agree to take the vehicle in and are going to give me a loaner car. we are pretty sure that it has something to do with the transmission. the mechanic told me that they might replace parts on the transmission but if they open it they are not going to see anything as the vehicle has only 19000 miles. i hope i can get them to replace the transmission as a unit.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #11
wags is on a distinguished road
wags's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone ever figure out what problem was for the 2012 models?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
UberZogster is on a distinguished road
UberZogster's Tacoma Gallery
Not helpful I know but my 2010 also has this issue. The dealer hasn't been able to figure it out and has looked at it 8 times.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
i know the noise is in the transmission, what i don't know is what is causing it, if the a/c is putting too much load on iddle? or the transmission has something that rattles when engine shakes, if it is the transmission and a lot of people are hearing it then is going to be a design problem from toyota.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Its the throw out bearing, Mine did it for 120k before I finally pulled my tranny and replaced the clutch. New throwout bearing installed tractor/diesel noise went away. The reason the sound goes away is that your putting pressure on the throwout as you engage your clutch pedal.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
Its the throw out bearing, Mine did it for 120k before I finally pulled my tranny and replaced the clutch. New throwout bearing installed tractor/diesel noise went away. The reason the sound goes away is that your putting pressure on the throwout as you engage your clutch pedal.
Truth

I also had them do tsb066-11 under warranty which involves the weak stock clutch failing. The new clutch is the older 3.4 v6, so they basically did an OEM HD application for this truck. TOB and new Aisin clutch and it drives like a dream now.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Im geting my trowout out bearing replaced under warranty, hopefully this solves the noice. they are replacing the fork too
Old 07-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #17
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
^what did u say/do to get this done?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #18
Exclamation

I recorded my truck with my cellphone next to a wall, I'll try and post it here. Talked to the service lady on my oil change and played the track to her and her mechanic.

i tried to upload audio but was not able to do it. i can send it trough e-mail if anyone wants it.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Just think of a kabuto small 4 cylinder diesel. That is the sound the throwout makes while not engaged. Just a noisey bearing. I lived with it for 120,000 miles. Twice the length that you should get out of a clutch. But hells yeah warranty!

Now did yours not do it all the time when not engaged? Because I wouldn have had to record audio with mine.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
galveznano is on a distinguished road
Name: Leo
galveznano's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Anyone ever figure out what problem was for the 2012 models?
Everything hurts on the 2012, mine is at the dealer with a leaking rack and pinion and a bent axle shaft, stealer says they hear no noise coming from the diff and that the rack leak they say it's normal! Bull shit it's normal,,,,, going on a joy ride with their top guy tomorrow