Old 05-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
eclipse22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Marcin
eclipse22's Tacoma Gallery
Would it be smart to regear?

So here is what we have
2006 Tacoma 2.7 4cyl Auto SR5
w/ fat bobs lift and 31" tires

So my speedo is obviously off by 12%, but now the issue is with fuel economy, the truck is kinda gutless which doesnt bug me its what i wanted and what i have. Anyways the current gears are 3.58 or something like that, but 4.10 wold bring it back to stock setting. Now here is the question; I do alot of highway driving and I want to know what is more profitable? Do i work the engine harder with those gears on the hwy? At 70mph I am about 1900rpm, but with taller gears I would obviously have higher rpms but it would be easier on the motor. Being a 4 cyl would it be better to have 4.10 or keep my current gears?
Hope I explained this well enough, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Spend the night at a Holiday Inn!!

For reals though, 31's and the 4.10's would be good.

30's on 3.58 myself. Not to horrible other than the slug thing...
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
Banned
knucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
knucklehead's Tacoma Gallery
If you had a manual transmission, I would be on the fence between 3.7 and 4.1 (depending on hauling needs). The automatic has a higher overdrive ratio though, so I say definitely 4.1.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
So what is there to say about my fuel economy for hwy better or same as it would be wheb the truck was with stock wheel diameter
Old 05-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

I have the same question really, also what's the cost with doing this? I usually run at 100 km/h on the highway and am roughly 2200rpm, also have 265/75/16 tires. I hold my head in shame when I get passed by a Prius on the highway going uphill manual tranny as well
Old 05-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat OP, I want to regear to get some lost power back. I'm sure the MPG's would get better but they will never be the same as stock, and re-gearing would take like 7 years to get your return on investment as far as fuel savings. Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banger09 View Post
I have the same question really, also what's the cost with doing this? I usually run at 100 km/h on the highway and am roughly 2200rpm, also have 265/75/16 tires. I hold my head in shame when I get passed by a Prius on the highway going uphill manual tranny as well
lol your not driving a truck for speed so it dont matter BAH
Old 05-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Regear for feel and power if you want.

But regearing is expensive and even though you might recover a little mileage, you'll never get the money back in gas.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
So milage would be the same ur saying but i would regain performance?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
Membor
Cowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura aboutCowboyz has a spectacular aura about

Name: Luke
Cowboyz's Tacoma Gallery
Im running 35s with the V6 and im like11.5-12% off as well. I want to reagear to get power back not really for gas mileage. your going to loose MPGs on the freeway, but you will probably be able to hold your speed better in the higher gears.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse22 View Post
So milage would be the same ur saying but i would regain performance?
I'm saying you probably get a bit of mileage back for around town driving, but never enough to pay for the regearing.

And at full freeway speeds - it's probably a push.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
nhurt is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Machinery Technician
Name: N8
nhurt's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4banger manual trans with 33"s and regeared to 4.56. night and day difference from stock gearing. go for it!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
^ How's the mpg with the 4.56? Clearly the 4.56 gonna help the get-up-and-go, but seems the question includes the mpg trade off.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
Tool Geek
river rat is on a distinguished road

river rat's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm. The 4 speed auto may need help in my opinion.
On gentle hills at say 70 mph, my auto struggles (4 speed auto and 2.7 liter standard cab) and fights to keep in 4th until you punch it pretty good, then she'll accelerate up the hill until you are at speed again. Then you let up to keep from going too fast...no matter how gently I let up, it climbs into 4th ASAP and the speed drops again. It on and off up the hills unless I constantly manually drop into third for most every hill...annoying. I though about redoing the rear end just for this. I think the 4 speed auto needs different shift points somehow for use with the 2.7 RPM power range.
I hope this was not off topic, but even on the road, it maybe could use a different ratio.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Bajatrailrider
bajatrailrider is on a distinguished road
Name: Larry
bajatrailrider's Tacoma Gallery
My 2012 4dr,auto,2.7, 4.10 gear.(stock tires for now) is way to high geared.I have to drop if it down to third gear.Before every hill,but then it will pull 80.Only down hill or flat highway 4th gear works.Most of driving is mountains.So I would like to go to 4.56 gears,265 or 285 tires.Anybody use this set up?As far as cost labor here is cheap,what is cost on parts.What is best brand parts to buy.?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
What does the 06 manual 4 banger come with stock for gears? I'm gonna try to find some to get swapped in but can't remember what my trucks got stock.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
What does the 06 manual 4 banger come with stock for gears? I'm gonna try to find some to get swapped in but can't remember what my trucks got stock.
4x4 or 5 lug?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
i have 31 inch tires and a 2.7L manual and i went with the 4.10 gears and i love it