1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the most that you would tow daily?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by TacomaJoe09, May 23, 2012.

1. May 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM
    TacomaJoe09

TacomaJoe09 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner I4 5speed
    Hello long time reader first time posting. I have an 09 prerunner I4 5 speed and have a job on the side that is going to require to pull a trailer. It weighs about 3500 to 4000 pounds. And was wondering if I could do that daily without hurting the truck how do you think the clutch and transmission would hold up? What do y'all think, or should I go with a full size pickup. Any input would help thanks.

2. May 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM
    SVHANC

SVHANC Kermit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5sp 4cyl Access Cab
    Weathertech Floor Liners, Scangauge 2, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Rear Seat Headrests Removed
    I wouldn't hesitate to tow that daily. It won't be fast, but it won't hurt anything.
    You will have the people that think that you need 400hp to move a bag of mulch, but the 4cyl 5sp is a very solid package. It is a real truck and should not have any problem being used like one.

If the tongue weight on the trailer is high, you may want to beef up the rear suspension a little (TSB springs, Shocks, Timbrens, Airbags, etc), but that will be obvious by the sag and if it wallows any when towing. A typical landscaping trailer that tows straight shouldn't be any problem.

If you have a job on the side, typically the reason is to make money. Don't bother spending "just in case" money and you will maximize your income.

Personally, I like towing with my 4cyl. It is fun playing with the momentum. You will be taking it up to 3-4k rpm between shifts to stay with normal traffic, but it is no big deal.

3. May 24, 2012 at 2:10 AM
    TacomaJoe09

TacomaJoe09 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner I4 5speed
    Thanks SVHANC that's all I needed to know. I didn't want to buy a full size pickup the Tacoma is almost paid off lol. I know what you mean about the 400 hp. My neighbor just bought a new f250 to pull a 6x12 trailer once a month to his hunting lease, talk about overkill.
    :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top