Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

It's slow - will adding a canopy make it a lot slower?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Owl is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
Owl's Tacoma Gallery
It's slow - will adding a canopy make it a lot slower?

I really need a canopy, as opposed to a tonneau cover, on my 2012 Access Cab 4cyl. I'm OK (most of the time) with how slow my truck is, but will a 200# (assuming they weigh that much) canopy slow me down much more? If this is a stupid question, I apologize in advance.

Also, recommendations on canopies? I had a Leer on my previous Tacoma (2008 V6 Access Cab) and it was a great shell, but pricey. Any brands out there less than a grand? Are they worth it?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Doubtful you'll be slower. Just carry one less passenger. Watch Craigslist. I got my ARE that way. Search "show your caps" and you'll find a lot of pics.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Dont think it weights that much
Old 05-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Putting a cap on my truck made no difference performance or fuel economy wise in my 4cyl. Bought my top from a guy on here for $400.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Your local shops might also have used ones.
I got mine used and saved $$$
Old 05-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't hurt my mileage. My local driving and lead foot hurt it though.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You might notice it being a tiny bit slower off the line but I don't think the change will be noticeable. Might even make it better on the highway (less drag).
Old 05-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Owl's Tacoma Gallery
So I wimped out and bought a tonneau cover instead. Not really because of the added weight, but because it was $400 as opposed to $1400+.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
So I wimped out and bought a tonneau cover instead. Not really because of the added weight, but because it was $400 as opposed to $1400+.
$400 tonneau?!?!

If you looked used, that's not too much cheaper than you would have spent on a shell.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I put 240# of sand bags in back in the winter, no loss of power / speed. What Tonneau did you get?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Owl's Tacoma Gallery
I went with a Trifecta Signature Series from Extang. Seems like a great cover. I'm pretty happy with the price I got from AutoAnything - I called and they included a 10% off coupon, plus free shipping.

You ain't gonna get a canopy near that price. Everyone wants an arm and a leg for them, then you have to get it painted to match. I wish I could've gotten a canopy for $400ish. I'll keep looking for a canopy, but I needed a cover now and the Trifecta fits the bill.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
I went with a Trifecta Signature Series from Extang. Seems like a great cover. I'm pretty happy with the price I got from AutoAnything - I called and they included a 10% off coupon, plus free shipping.

You ain't gonna get a canopy near that price. Everyone wants an arm and a leg for them, then you have to get it painted to match. I wish I could've gotten a canopy for $400ish. I'll keep looking for a canopy, but I needed a cover now and the Trifecta fits the bill.
It does take a bit of patience but I found a used one the same color as my truck. If you have to pay to get it color matched, I agree, it's not worth it unless it's damn near free. Keep your eye out on here, Craigslist and your local cap store (sometimes they get used ones in stock).

Good luck with your search!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a SnugTOP SuperSport on my 2012 AC 4x4 w/ 2.7 and 5spd. found it listed on CL and drove 27 miles to Seattle to check it out. The ride going up I-5 was pretty choppy over all the expansion joints. Coming back with a couple hundred pounds extra on the back end, it was noticably smoother. I didn't notice any change in acceleration, though fuel economy seems to have dropped about 1mpg. This, however, could be the result of more city driving- hard to say with only ~2000 miles total.