Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7 L NEEDS TO BE CHANGED ???

Old 06-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
Hot2na is a jewel in the roughHot2na is a jewel in the roughHot2na is a jewel in the roughHot2na is a jewel in the rough
Hot2na's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 L NEEDS TO BE CHANGED ???

that is 2.7...sorry

does anyone agree that this engine needs an update?

they updated the 2.4l in my rav 4 to a 2.5 with tighter specs and it is much improved in power and mpgs

this engine is the same for how long ???
Old 06-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Banned
knucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
knucklehead's Tacoma Gallery
I do not agree.
Love this engine and wouldnt change a thing about it.

If you want more power, buy a V6
Old 06-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Why? It seems to be a good small engine option for the Tacoma and, from what I've read, seems to be bulletproof.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot2na View Post
that is 2.7...sorry

does anyone agree that this engine needs an update?

they updated the 2.4l in my rav 4 to a 2.5 with tighter specs and it is much improved in power and mpgs

this engine is the same for how long ???
7 years-ish
Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
They used the 20-22R engines for like 30 years if it ain't broke don't fix it. Great engine want more power you need displacement with more displacement you lose economy.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Hot2na is a jewel in the roughHot2na is a jewel in the roughHot2na is a jewel in the roughHot2na is a jewel in the rough
Hot2na's Tacoma Gallery
Just saying- the 2.5 is all new ,very tight ,uses different oil than the 2.4 ...a complete redesign based on TODAYS knowledge...

they might be able to apply some of what they learned to the 2.7 and make it even better (power and MPG)....
Old 06-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Does the 2.5 put out similar torque to the 2.7? I'm guessing not. A truck needs torque not horsepower.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Hot2na's Tacoma Gallery
well they put it in a rav 4...the 2.4 was a sloth...this has more get up & go...
but you are right...torque is what counts on a truck.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
You should specify which 2.7L you are referring to. The 2.7L that was used between 1995 and 2004 was the 3RZ, the 2.7L with VVTi that is from 2005-current is the 2TR-FE. They are not the same engine even though their displacements are the same. I think the 2TR is a very good engine for what it is. There are ways to make the 2TR probably more powerful or lighter or quieter but they normally come at the cost of complexity and reliability. The 2TR is well matched for what the Tacoma expects, albeit a little on the lean power side.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
The 2TR-FE 2.7 L 4 cylinder is a damn good engine as is and should remain in production for many years to come. It is a fairly new design.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
3rz.. takes the cake. That new stuff is so plastic covering everywhere...
Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
Banned
knucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
knucklehead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
3rz.. takes the cake. That new stuff is so plastic covering everywhere...
What the hell are you talking about? There is just as much plastic on your rust bucket.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
I'm happy with the engine, but 3.31 gears are ridiculous. Despite that this truck has more get up and go than my 94 Yota that was equipped with the 3.0 V6, 31" tires and 4.56 gears.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Why? It seems to be a good small engine option for the Tacoma and, from what I've read, seems to be bulletproof.
X2. I bought mine because it had a rep - bulletproof -that was it. If it works and you don't have to worry about it for 300,000 - with proper maintenance - why fool with it ?
Old 06-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUGrad05 View Post
I'm happy with the engine, but 3.31 gears are ridiculous. Despite that this truck has more get up and go than my 94 Yota that was equipped with the 3.0 V6, 31" tires and 4.56 gears.
I'd like 2 C Higher high gear. The 5 speed is fine but if it had the same with a higher 6 speed gear I'd get better highway MPG.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
What the hell are you talking about? There is just as much plastic on your rust bucket.
I don't have nearly that much rust as you think. Plastic? There is no plastic covering the engine.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
That's why there's a V6 option... the 4banger yota is a sweet motor coupled with the manual tranny regular cab and swb... makes an excellent wheeler... I loved my 87 4runner w/ 5spd... the 2.7 has alot more power than that...
Old 06-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
The 2trfe is a good solid engine with the torque right where it needs to be. My truck has no complaints at 30-35 MPH in 4th which is about 1400 RPM... It has been so long that I can not remember the last time I had it above 3500 RPM.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #20
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
I agree the 2TR-FE is a very good 4-cylinder engine. I just don't understand why Toyota put VVT on one cam only. My dad's Highlander (same year as my Tacoma) has a 2.7 with VVT on both sides, it has a lot more pep and more responsive throttle and definitely spins up faster. Maybe it makes less torque and more HP? I understand there's a different type of engine work being done (and different power delivery needed) for a pickup application vs. SUV application.