Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

air intake and deck plate question

Old 06-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
NACooner is on a distinguished road
NACooner's Tacoma Gallery
air intake and deck plate question

i have a 2001 2.7, standard cab 5 speed 4x4 tacoma, i currently have a k&n air filter with stock intake tube, i was told that removing the stock tube and replacing it with a solid tube it will up my fuel mileage, so i was wanting to do this as well as a deck plate mod. any input? cheapest intake tube ive found is about $110 for the airraid. and where can i buy the deck plate?

currently getting 20-21 mpg city/country driving.

thanks for any input.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Nothing except for a change in your driving habits will improve MPGs.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
First, unless you drive around at WOT all day, the main limiting factor for airflow is the throttle (air control) valve, not the intake tubes or air filter or anything else. The aftermarket intake tube may allow more air into the engine at WOT, but the injectors will squirt more fuel to compensate for more air, and this will make more power, not better fuel economy. It does not increase the efficiency of the engine. That's how it works in my head at least. Someone flame me if I am wrong, I love the abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Nothing except for a change in your driving habits will improve MPGs.
Generally, I agree with this ^
Tire pressures, lubricants, and mechanical condition also play a part.