Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

What years did Toyota offer the Tacoma Access Cab with TRD off road option?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
yodachick87 is on a distinguished road
yodachick87's Tacoma Gallery
Question What years did Toyota offer the Tacoma Access Cab with TRD off road option?

I am looking to purchase a new(used) Tacoma and need some help figuring out a few things as far as options go. I have decided on the Access Cab with a 4 cyl 2.7 L, 5-speed manual trans., and would like the TRD off-road package. I know they don't offer TRD off-road as an option for the 2012 Access Cab but am trying to figure out what years they did. Please help me figure this out!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
TRD packages are available in V6 models only. Always been that way.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
snowdrifter will become famous soon enough
snowdrifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure the TRD package was available on 1st Gen four cylinders, albeit very rare and hard to find. Unfortunately never offered on second gens w/ the 2TR.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Banned
knucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
knucklehead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachick87 View Post
I am looking to purchase a new(used) Tacoma and need some help figuring out a few things as far as options go. I have decided on the Access Cab with a 4 cyl 2.7 L, 5-speed manual trans., and would like the TRD off-road package. I know they don't offer TRD off-road as an option for the 2012 Access Cab but am trying to figure out what years they did. Please help me figure this out!
You cant get a TRD.
You can get an SR5, which is almost the same.

What TRD has over SR5 are the following:
rear diff locker,
atrac (2009+ 4wd, note that all 2009+ have regular trac)
backup camera
slightly different seats (not better or worse, just different)
slightly wider tires (factory tires *all* suck)
built in dcac inverter (a $20 value at walmart).

For the difference in what you will have to pay, you can pick up an aftermarket air locker. Front and rear. This would actually be superior to a factory trd.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
You cant get a TRD.
You can get an SR5, which is almost the same.

What TRD has over SR5 are the following:
rear diff locker,
atrac (2009+ 4wd, note that all 2009+ have regular trac)
slightly different seats (not better or worse, just different)
slightly wider tires (factory tires *all* suck)
built in dcac inverter (a $20 value at walmart).

For the difference in what you will have to pay, you can pick up an aftermarket air locker. Front and rear. This would actually be superior to a factory trd.
Fixed. SR5 has backup camera in all versions 09+. Given the v6 and $4000 TRD option on-top you can do better with adding everything after the fact. I did everything but the locker add on and the inverter. I got seat covers that are more comfortable.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Banned
knucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shedknucklehead is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
knucklehead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post
Fixed. SR5 has backup camera in all versions 09+. Given the v6 and $4000 TRD option on-top you can do better with adding everything after the fact. I did everything but the locker add on and the inverter. I got seat covers that are more comfortable.
That is incorrect. Possibly 2012+, but definitely not all. How do i know? Very simple: no backup camera on my 2011 SR5.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
That is incorrect. Possibly 2012+, but definitely not all. How do i know? Very simple: no backup camera on my 2011 SR5.
Simply your country of origin and region. You are located in a different country, so your standard equipment will vary from the USA. Like the 4 leaf packs coming standard for canada and mine having the 3.

If OP is in US they will have the camera according to toyota.

Americans can't parallel park/hook up trailers without help I guess?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post

Americans can't parallel park/hook up trailers without help I guess?
Yup that's why cars have introduced Parking Assist.....so the car can parallel park itself
Old 07-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Beers is on a distinguished road
Beers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I have a 2002 Prerunner Xtra Cab TRD Off-Road with the 2.7L engine. The V6 version of the truck had the locking rear diff but the 4cyl does not.

I'll be selling it now that I picked up a 2012, but there are some trucks out there.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
Eddie98 is on a distinguished road
Eddie98's Tacoma Gallery
Yes there are. I'm going to be purchasing one here sone and it's a 2006, 4cyl, 5 speed with TRD.