Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

RC 4x4 mpgs?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
jbandt is on a distinguished road
jbandt's Tacoma Gallery
RC 4x4 mpgs?

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but if those with aRC 4wd could post up your mpgs that would be great. I trying to decide between 2wd and 4wd. Toyota's site estimates 18 city and 20+ hgwy. I'd like some real world numbers. I've researched the site and see where numerous people are getting in excess of 20mpg. I know mods affect this significantly so for the sake of argument I'm looking for a stock 4x4. I do all city driving so those numbers would be most helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
4wd might take away 1 or 2 MPGs at the most. Fulley.com for numbers.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
my 2005 rc 4x4 is basically stock. i have a bestop cap, afe drop in air filter, and 265 70 16 tires (p-rated). i've had mpgs as bad as 17 in the winter time and as good as 26 in the summer. my regular commuting mpgs mix between highway and stop and go driving lately has been right around 23
Old 06-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
If all you do is city miles, why would you need 4wd?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
jbandt's Tacoma Gallery
I knew that was coming. I really don't "have" to have 4wd, but I'd like to have it for the occasional offroading adventure plus I like the stance and the 4wd models are easier to find than the RC prerunner 2wd models.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
i'm getting close to 22 mpg. i have a manual tranny also. my best was 23 and have yet to hit 5k on odometer.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
I get 20-21 combined. But I drive 80 on the highway, so if I drove 70 it would probably be higher
Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
ffbartlett is on a distinguished road

ffbartlett's Tacoma Gallery
i average around 22
Old 06-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel Economy

I recently picked up a 4x4 w/auto tranny after trying to find a 4 cylinder PreRunner but came up empty. So far, I'm getting around 23 with around town driving and work commutes that keep me on the back roads. No highway driving, so speeds are around 45 mph with occassional stretches where I can get up to around 50 mph.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
jbandt's Tacoma Gallery
These are pretty good numbers guys. I appreciate the feedback. It makes me feel better about possibly getting the 4x4 when the time comes.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Rajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to behold
Rajas's Tacoma Gallery
20-22 for me. I have 265-70 AT's.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Comptroller
Icewatersteam is on a distinguished road

Army: Convoy gunner, OIF III
Icewatersteam's Tacoma Gallery
Same here.

20-22, driving it hard. Better when I slow down. aFe drop in, bestop, 265/70/16s and TRD aluminum wheels.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Access Cab, so if anything a Regular Cab should be better.
AFE Pro-Dry filter + Charcoal Filter Delete, LCE Headers, 5100 shocks + TSB Leafs, pretty much all the rest stock.

My thinking is that if you want the higher stance of a Prerunner/4x4, the mileage will suffer a couple of mpg. It was worth it to me. The 4x4 is also geared a little lower than the 2wd, and I think it matches up better with the powerband of the 4cyl.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Probably more

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHANC View Post
AFE Pro-Dry filter + Charcoal Filter Delete, LCE Headers, 5100 shocks + TSB Leafs, pretty much all the rest stock.

My thinking is that if you want the higher stance of a Prerunner/4x4, the mileage will suffer a couple of mpg. It was worth it to me. The 4x4 is also geared a little lower than the 2wd, and I think it matches up better with the powerband of the 4cyl.
I'm thinking that the 2wd, 5-lug Regular Cab Tacomas w/auto tranny should easily get 27 highway as advertised. Combined driving should be 25 or so. Smaller wheels, less weight, and lower profile are probably at the root of that. Interesting point on the gearing of the 4x4s. I notice better pick up with the Tacoma over my Ranger. Like a spotted turtle racing a painted turtle; not over quickly.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
jbandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHANC View Post

I agree that the stance and additional weight will cause mpgs to suffer a little. I also agree that its an acceptable trade off as long as I can keep my mpgs for the city above 19. I really think the 4.1 gears are better tuned for my driving style in stop and go city driving.
Thats the main reason for looking at the prerunner/4x4.
My biggest concern is whether or not a stock 4x4 could get those numbers, since I see more RC 4x4 than I do prerunners up for sale.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
You can do it!!

I drive about 200 miles per week to get to work and back along with a few rides into town. Very nearly 100% of back roads/township driving. The commute to work has around 11 stops and starts, plenty of hills, but speeds ranging from 45-50 for most of the ride and perhaps 25% under 35 and very hilly. The ride in is around 22.5-23.5 MPGs. The ride home (more downhill) I can get 25.5 to 27 MPGs. With the shorter trips around town, the MPGs drop with more stops and starts. Net MPGs so far around 23 (4x4, 2.7L, auto tranny). With more knowledge of the vehicle, I'm sure I can raise the average...just not sure by how much.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
NRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the rough
NRXTM's Tacoma Gallery
cant you just turn off 4x4 and get same mpg as prerunner?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
If only it were that easy.

Extra weight, still turning front driveshafts + spider gears in the diff (and the diff + propeller shaft as much as friction will give it), and the bearing/gear/oil pump friction in the xfer case.

Can't run four wheel drive on dry pavement without center diff anyways.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
PreRunners do better

4 wheel drive only kicks in when you want it/need it. PreRunners do a MPG or two better I believe because they are lighter (not carrying around the extra weight) and have slightly different gearing. I hoped to find one here before settling for my 4x4 because of the improved MPGs. But I just might appreciate having the extra wheels pulling when there's snow flying.